Dutton Epoch Releasing 5 RCA/Columbia Classical Treasures on QUAD SACD (Jan 2017)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4-earredwonder

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Last edited:
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Dutton~Vocalion is releasing 5 MORE RCA/Columbia Classical treasures on QUAD SACD: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=3

Until January 6th 2017 prices are £9.99 each with an increase to £10.99 after that date.

I'm in for ALL Five. :banana:

Wow!

Julian Bream's rendition of the Concerto de Arajuez is my favourite so I'm so getting it. I also want the Rubinstein.

Excellent news!

Thank you Dutton/Vocalion!

Mine are still not here yet. Waahhhh!!!

Join the club. Am still awaiting my 12 SACDs as well but went ahead and pre~ordered the newly announced 5 Classical gems as outlined in my above post [#577].

Addenda: Just checked my mailbox and D~V parcels are now sitting at my local post office [registered mail] awaiting pick~up. Yeh!:banana:

Last edited:
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, Dutton EPOCH is releasing 5 MORE RCA/Columbia Classical treasures on QUAD SACD: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=3

Until January 6th 2017 prices are £9.99 each with an increase to £10.99 after that date.

I'm in for ALL Five. :banana:

Further info: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

blimey.. it looks like DV are now newly remixing stuff from multis to 5.1 surround in addition to remastering Quads...?? :yikes

blimey.. it looks like DV are now newly remixing stuff from multis to 5.1 surround in addition to remastering Quads...?? :yikes

Like, which ones, Adam? Looks like they're releasing the original QUAD 70's masters. I know you're an E Power Biggs Fan and with the addition of Julian Bream, Leopold Stokowski, Pinchas Zuckerman and Arthur Rubenstein, ALL Heavy Hitters, IMO, things are just beginning to heat up as to what D~V has in store for us poor starvation~ridden QUADDIES!

BTW, as a point of reference, until January 6, 2017, the current price with shipping to the US is $15 per disc....roughly what I've been paying for the lovely Pentatone Philips/DGG reissued QUAD SACDs.:cool:

After that date, D~V is increasing their prices to £10.99 per disc....[US: $13.49 + s/h].

Like, which ones, Adam? Looks like they're releasing the original QUAD 70's masters. I know you're an E Power Biggs Fan and with the addition of Julian Bream, Leopold Stokowski, Pinchas Zuckerman and Arthur Rubenstein, ALL Heavy Hitters, IMO, things are just beginning to heat up as to what D~V has in store for us poor starvation~ridden QUADDIES!

BTW, as a point of reference, until January 6, 2017, the current price with shipping to the US is $15 per disc....roughly what I've been paying for the lovely Pentatone Philips/DGG reissued QUAD SACDs.:cool:

After that date, D~V is increasing their prices to £10.99 per disc....[US: $13.49 + s/h].

In addition to being one of the 20th century’s great conductors, Leopold Stokowski (1882-1977) devoted much energy to transcribing works of Johann Sebastian Bach, tailoring them to suit the very special qualities of the great Philadelphia Orchestra with which his name was synonymous. A sequence of albums for RCA in the 1970s marked Stokowski’s last recordings, and material from that period comprises the final title in this batch of Dutton Epoch SACD reissues.

1975’s Stokowski conducts Bach – The Great Transcriptions, recorded by Bob Auger at St. Giles’ Church, Cripplegate, London, includes, among others, orchestral versions of Chaconne (from Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin), Preludio (from Partita No. 3 in E major for solo violin) and Aria (Air on the G-String) (from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major). Of the album’s final piece, Komm, süsser Tod, Stokwoski said, “This poignant and soul-searching melody was composed by Bach about 1736. It is one of the melodies published by Schemelli in his book of sacred songs, Musicalisches Gesangbuch. Bach edited the songbook, providing several of his own compositions and adding figured bass to other melodies. In giving this sublime melody orchestral expression, I have tried to imagine what Bach would do had he the rich resources of the orchestra of today at his disposal.” This release is completed by Stokowski’s arrangement of Brünnhilde’s Immolation, part of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung, the last of the cycle of four operas making up Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Using RCA’s multi-track analogue masters from the 1974 sessions at Abbey Road Studios, Michael J. Dutton has created a superb new quadraphonic mix, and one that is a considerable improvement over the 1990s Dolby surround sound CD reissue.

In addition to being one of the 20th century’s great conductors, Leopold Stokowski (1882-1977) devoted much energy to transcribing works of Johann Sebastian Bach, tailoring them to suit the very special qualities of the great Philadelphia Orchestra with which his name was synonymous. A sequence of albums for RCA in the 1970s marked Stokowski’s last recordings, and material from that period comprises the final title in this batch of Dutton Epoch SACD reissues.

1975’s Stokowski conducts Bach – The Great Transcriptions, recorded by Bob Auger at St. Giles’ Church, Cripplegate, London, includes, among others, orchestral versions of Chaconne (from Partita No. 2 in D minor for solo violin), Preludio (from Partita No. 3 in E major for solo violin) and Aria (Air on the G-String) (from Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D major). Of the album’s final piece, Komm, süsser Tod, Stokwoski said, “This poignant and soul-searching melody was composed by Bach about 1736. It is one of the melodies published by Schemelli in his book of sacred songs, Musicalisches Gesangbuch. Bach edited the songbook, providing several of his own compositions and adding figured bass to other melodies. In giving this sublime melody orchestral expression, I have tried to imagine what Bach would do had he the rich resources of the orchestra of today at his disposal.” This release is completed by Stokowski’s arrangement of Brünnhilde’s Immolation, part of Wagner’s Götterdämmerung, the last of the cycle of four operas making up Der Ring des Nibelungen.

Using RCA’s multi-track analogue masters from the 1974 sessions at Abbey Road Studios, Michael J. Dutton has created a superb new quadraphonic mix, and one that is a considerable improvement over the 1990s Dolby surround sound CD reissue.

Aha, but they're QUAD not 5.1 which is fine with me. Mr. Dutton is a busy beaver these days and hopefully he'll create more QUAD remixes from existing vaulted RCA/Columbia multitracks.....perhaps even the occasional POP/ROCK/JAZZ multis....and wouldn't THAT be special, AB?

Wonder if any are discrete or mostly ambient?

Aha, but they're QUAD not 5.1 which is fine with me. Mr. Dutton is a busy beaver these days and hopefully he'll create more QUAD remixes from existing vaulted RCA/Columbia multitracks.....perhaps even the occasional POP/ROCK/JAZZ multis....and wouldn't THAT be special, AB?

Wonder if any are discrete or mostly ambient?

oh yes, my mistake.. still they are creating brand new surround music mixes from scratch (is how it comes across.. maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick!).. yes! very special indeed! if that is the case, a really exciting prospect if they were to continue in this vein doing brand new surround alongside the Quad reissues from the master tapes.

its funny cos a little while back I speculated on here on the idea of some UK or Euro label capitalising on the gap in the Quad/5.1 market.. and lo and behold DV are delivering the goods! wowzers! here's to 2017 in surround with DV! :D

oh yes, my mistake.. still they are creating brand new surround music mixes from scratch (is how it comes across.. maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick!).. yes! very special indeed! if that is the case, a really exciting prospect if they were to continue in this vein doing brand new surround alongside the Quad reissues from the master tapes.

its funny cos a little while back I speculated on here on the idea of some UK or Euro label capitalising on the gap in the Quad/5.1 market.. and lo and behold DV are delivering the goods! wowzers! here's to 2017 in surround with DV! :D

Adam, maybe you have Extra Sensory Perception. I imagine it is obviously a lot less costly for D~V to do these Quads (most especially the two~fers) than American company Audio Fidelity EVER could. Especially considering that old rule of thumb....the master tapes usually reside in the country of origin and around the time of 70's QUAD, RCA and Columbia were American companies. Unless they transferred the masters overseas.

Perhaps steelydave or bmoura could shed some light as to the origin of these master tapes.......just VERY curious....as Michael Dutton states on the SACDs that they're sourced from the original analogue master tapes...and not 96/24 digital sources.

Adam, maybe you have Extra Sensory Perception. I imagine it is obviously a lot less costly for D~V to do these Quads (most especially the two~fers) than American company Audio Fidelity EVER could. Especially considering that old rule of thumb....the master tapes usually reside in the country of origin and around the time of 70's QUAD, RCA and Columbia were American companies. Unless they transferred the masters overseas.

Perhaps steelydave or bmoura could shed some light as to the origin of these master tapes.......just VERY curious....as Michael Dutton states on the SACDs that they're sourced from the original analogue master tapes...and not 96/24 digital sources.

ESP you say? Extra spicy pepperoni..! OH JOY! :p

yes all interesting stuff.. one imagines it could be lower overhead since the end product at retail is cheaper than the AF stuff but who knows maybe DV are just an ultra efficient setup?
Dave or Brian would know yeah.. in any event the end result to us 'umble consumers is that these discs are a nice price, are in surround and sound lovely!
on that note, greatly looking forward to your critique when you've had a chance to sample the contents of your DV international packets :)

ESP you say? Extra spicy pepperoni..! OH JOY! :p

yes all interesting stuff.. one imagines it could be lower overhead since the end product at retail is cheaper than the AF stuff but who knows maybe DV are just an ultra efficient setup?
Dave or Brian would know yeah.. in any event the end result to us 'umble consumers is that these discs are a nice price, are in surround and sound lovely!
on that note, greatly looking forward to your critique when you've had a chance to sample the contents of your DV international packets :)

Or, perhaps, Adam, you could don a white designer lab coat [from Harrods] and wearing protective goggles and stinkin' of pepperoni breath:p saunter over to the D~V 'labs' in Watford [ONLY 17 miles NW of Central London] and behold first hand what alchemy they're weaving to bring these discs out so magically inexpensively and with such utmost precision....and of course with your encyclopedic knowledge of ALL things surround chew their ears off with requests and/or suggestions....yelping: More, More....MORE.......

As bmoura [Mr. DSD264] once surmised: for an American company like AF to pull off a two~fer QUAD title.....the costs would be prohibitive. :yikes

Last edited:
Hi. All I`ve already put my order in for the new 5...........

xmas_classics_smallSACD-300x300.jpg

I'm a bit torn about these new 5 discs. I'm not much of a fan of classical, yet I want to support this effort. :violin

Gene, they're all CLASSIC recordings/performances so I'd say TAKE THE PLUNGE. At the very least they can serve as exotic background music to pay your bills by..... although I suspect.......you'll take them more seriously than that.:music

Is the Stokowski Conducts Bach Multichannel SACD mix different than the RCA Red Seal Quad mix (ARD1-0880 on CD-4 Quadradisc) ?

I have NO idea, Brian.......am just basing my observation on what is contained in the D~V website blurb....unless I'm misinterpreting it.

I have NO idea, Brian.......am just basing my observation on what is contained in the D~V website blurb....unless I'm misinterpreting it.

The D-V web site mentions the Quad release in the description (APD1-0880), so I'm guessing the Multichannel SACD would be from those Quad tapes.

The D-V web site mentions the Quad release in the description (APD1-0880), so I'm guessing the Multichannel SACD would be from those Quad tapes.

The only evidence of Stokowski's BACH TRANSCRIPTIONS is from Quadraphonic Discography's classical listing where it has the number RCA 2061 attached to it.....and it does NOT contain any of Wagner's transcriptions....strictly an all Bach program.......certainly puzzling!

Addenda: The number I listed is from an RCA Japan (2061) QUAD release. I would imagine you're right and I'm incorrect. Again, maybe the listing inadvertently omits the Wagner transcription (lack of space, maybe?)

BTW, Brian, the Rozsa conducts Rozsa disc is amazing. If you're familiar with Rozsa's rousing film scores, this disc is reminiscent of his Hollywood work. The rears are ambient but are captured with uncanny robustness. Highly Recommended!

You have me curious. Can you describe the mix? I'm not used to discrete orchestral recordings.

J. D.

From the opening bars to the last movement the recording engineers have done a sublime job of integrating fronts and rears where they intelligently interact with each other. Villa~Lobos' The Little Train of Caipira is extremely discrete and it may be offsetting to those who especially prefer their classical recordings with ambient only rears but after listening to this two~fer SONY CLASSICAL ORIGINAL QUAD RECORDING, I had a huge smile on my face. So many wonderful surprises!

Sono Luminus has very discrete orchestral recordings as well as 2L, and TACET with their awesome 'Moving Surround" releases in DVD~A, SACD and now BD~A.

Last edited:
You have me curious. Can you describe the mix? I'm not used to discrete orchestral recordings.

J. D.

I certainly don't want to go off topic, but I want to make sure you know about the Tacet label, which is known for their discrete orchestral recordings: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?11399-The-Tacet-Thread-(Reviews-Latest-News-amp-Releases-General-Discussion)&highlight=Tacet

And, just to be clear, when I say "discrete" in the context of classical music, I mean that there are instruments positioned in the rear speakers (and between), rather than instruments that can only be heard in one speaker. There is a lot of bleed (I hate to use that word in this context) from one speaker to another, but that's due to the live nature of classical music.

Okay - enough about that! I just ordered Tower of Power and one of the Hugo Montenegro discs from Dutton Vocalion!

Back