Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t read the whole thread and I have no real knowledge in company rights, but seeing as Vocalion is releasing Columbia titles, what are the chances they could get a hand on the Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation quad?

I'd say seeing that title from them anytime soon is a real stretch...they seem to be focusing on easy listening titles. The PPL and RTF albums represent a willingness to explore new genres though. Maybe someday? The Columbia rock quads are really incredible and I think they would really turn some heads if they came out on SACD. My personal fave: Aerosmith- Rocks.

Love the two BOCs as well. I assume AF once was planning on doing T&M, since a track from it appears on the collection disc. Secret Treaties is the better album IMO and since we only got one, I'm glad it was that one.

While I am grateful that D-V has picked up the MCH torch, I was born to rock, I'll never be an opera star. Please pull some of the rockers out of the closet.

While I am grateful that D-V has picked up the MCH torch, I was born to rock, I'll never be an opera star. Please pull some of the rockers out of the closet.

Haven't seen a lot of opera from Dutton Vocalion. But they do have a lot of "Easy, Light and Latin" albums.
And that has been their core audience for years.

For example, this comment from their Facebook page from a customer reacting to the 8 new Surround SACDs for December....
"Great new releases. Ray Conniff deserves the attention and great one for Floyd Cramer.
But unfortunately I was waiting for more from the Paul Mauriat and Raymond Lefevre Original discography."

We'll catch up later; who knows how long their access to Sony's archives will last.

IF ONLY we knew what SONY is holding back from D~V. The Easy Listening releases are hardly in demand but will we be privy to some B or A list SONY/RCA/ARISTA QUAD titles in the future?

Would sure LOVE some Mathis, Manchester, early Manilow, Harry Nilsson, Art Garfunkel's Angel Clare and Breakaway and the Original Cast Recordings of HAIR and GODSPELL, etc. etc....all of which would be somewhat congruous with D~V's core audience.

And of course some more RCA/SONY Classical QUADs, especially Bernstein's MASS and Candide.

We'll catch up later; who knows how long their access to Sony's archives will last.

Or how long will it pencil out for the reissues on SACD Surround discs.
So far, it seems to be working for Vocalion.

And they are issuing many of the artists they have in the past (Mancini, Paul Mauriat, etc.) - just now on Surround SACD vs. on Stereo CD reissues. :)
Definitely in their comfort zone. And that of their core, long-time customers.

And they are issuing many of the artists they have in the past (Mancini, Paul Mauriat, etc.) - just now on Surround SACD vs. on Stereo CD reissues. :)

Well, maybe, JUST maybe, they'll shake things up a bit with the titles I listed above [post 387] which, IMO, would definitely appeal to their core audience.

TOO much sugar causes diabetes! :yikes

They are in demand by the Vocalion customers.
As witnessed by the request from Facebook for more Paul Mauriat, etc.... :)

That's the logical assumption, Brian.

IMO, Michael Dutton's SACD QUAD choices have been anything but logical. Some extremely interesting choices and far from run of the mill.

Methinks the best is yet to come! :bounce17 Not that we don't have any more Faith in Percy.......

As D-V is a British company it would be nice if they could issue some of the British artists who had Quad releases ~

David Essex; Argent; Mott the Hoople; New Seekers; etc

Apparently their stereo clientele does not mind (or get confused) if a well mastered multi-channel layer is included with the given stereo.

As D-V is a British company it would be nice if they could issue some of the British artists who had Quad releases ~

David Essex; Argent; Mott the Hoople; New Seekers; etc

The New Seekers would be a good one.
But that is in the WEA catalog - not Sony Music.

Oh well....

Back