Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are 5 (FIVE) Isaac Hayes Quads;

Joy,
Live At The Sahara Tahoe,
Shaft,
Tough Guys,
Truck Turner

all excellent surround mixes imho and hope Dutton Vocalion can release them all on Surround SACD someday! :)

Shaft was released as a hybrid Stereo SACD [I have it]: http://hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=1645

AFAIK, it was never released in QUAD and is not listed in the Quadraphonic Discography.

Please prove me wrong. Would sound amazing in QUAD or 5.1!

it is amazing in Quad, Ralph!
(i'm talkin' 'bout Shaft :D )

Y59wqQC.jpg

my personal favourite of the Isaac Hayes Quads is "Tough Guys" i was playing around with comparing the Q8 to the Surround Master's SQ decoding last night (it does a really good job of decoding i would say, i only detected one major anomaly where the SQ placed sonething in the rear right when its in the front left on the Q8 ) the tape sounds pretty decent fwiw and the mix is -- spectacular! :smokin

then you've had it from two tough guys Quads..

jK1cDPG.jpg

MEhmoRU.jpg

Also on Buddah, fwiw

there was a Gladys Knight And The Pips Q8.

But for me some Guess Who quad would be foremost as I've noticed that they have releases or reissues on Buddah records,
so perhaps some quads the likes of #10, Best Vol 2 , Rockin , Road Food, Share The Land, etc.......any Twofers would be just sublime.

there are 5 (FIVE) Isaac Hayes Quads;

Joy,
Live At The Sahara Tahoe,
Shaft,
Tough Guys,
Truck Turner

all excellent surround mixes imho and hope Dutton Vocalion can release them all on Surround SACD someday! :)

As usual, ADAM, YOU'RE THE MAN!

Would love to hear them ALL in QUAD as I'm sure they'd all sound spectacular.

At this juncture in time, we surely need some SOUL in this world!

i thought there was a listing for a Love Unlimited Quad? maybe unreleased i don't know?

LOVE UNLIMITED, White Gold was supposed to be released as a Q8 tape according to the 'announced but never released" Quadraphonic Discography listings.

Read the discussion at Discogs at bottom. Supposedly it was released as a Q8 in the US in VERY limited quantities: https://www.discogs.com/The-Love-Unlimited-Orchestra-White-Gold/master/37588

If so, I'm sure super sleuth fredblue will find a copy!

No SQ for either of those. "Music" was the only official US Quad LP from CK, and it was QS (QS in Japan too). The LP had an inner sleeve showing the locations of all of the instruments. Even though I had a QRX-999 with VarioMatrix back then, it never struck me as a great surround mix. The Q8 was about the same. "Fantasy" was released in the US on Q8 only, but in Japan it was also available as a CD-4 LP. "Rhymes and Reasons" was Q8 only in the US. No quad anywhere else.

All of CK's quads were pretty tame. Sad to say, there are no missing surround gems among all of her releases. I seem to remember "Corazón" and "Haywood" from "Fantasy" were fairly good quad, but nothing stands out that I recall.

Sorry.

I only wish Dutton Vocalion could release those three CK albums in QUAD at the nice price w/o all the fanfare/expense of 7" packaging.:banana:

Michael Dutton seems to have a 'smashingly' good relationship with SONY and all its associated labels.

Bring 'em ON!

How about dusting off/locating Walter Murphy's "A Fifth of Beethoven" ? Has that one even been released on CD ever?
Next would be Van McCoy's "Disco Baby" if that one could be located in Japan.

The fact they have chosen such oddball titles across various genres and labels makes me hopeful for some more really great stuff...

If they want to follow up the RTF with more quad fusion titles there are some great options:
Mahavishnu Orch- Between Nothingness & Eternity Live
Weather Report- Tale Spinnin'
Herbie Hancock- Sextant, Secrets

Some other ideas off the top of my head...I tried to pick sort of weird or lesser known stuff that seems possible based on past releases. Some of these have also been suggested by other members. I apologize in advance for getting a little ahead of myself, but I bet there's at least one thing on this list people would buy:

The Guess Who- Road Food, #10, and Best Of Vol. II
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City two-fer
Chase- S/T & Pure Music two-fer
Dave Mason- S/T & It's Like You Never Left two-fer
David Essex- Rock On
Poco- Seven & Cantamos two-fer
Rick Derringer- All American Boy & Spring Fever two-fer
Later Santana titles not done by MoFi- Welcome, Borboletta, Amigos, etc (Though we'd probably end up seeing Love Devotion Surrender or the one with Buddy Miles first)
War- The World Is A Ghetto & Deliver The Word twofer
Anything on Philly Int'l- MFSB, O'Jays, Isleys, etc
Anything on Project 3...but if I had to choose one then Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars
More CTI- Airto's Fingers, Benson's Body Talk, Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, etc
Jefferson Airplane/Starship- The Worst Of, Spitfire, Red Octopus, etc
Hot Tuna- America's Choice, Burgers, Yellow Fever
Spinners- S/T, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter
Jazz Piano Quartet- Let It Happen

I'm just grateful for what we've gotten thus far...The PPL & RTF discs are my two favorites but they are all really good. Thank you DV!

The fact they have chosen such oddball titles across various genres and labels makes me hopeful for some more really great stuff...

If they want to follow up the RTF with more quad fusion titles there are some great options:
Mahavishnu Orch- Between Nothingness & Eternity Live
Weather Report- Tale Spinnin'
Herbie Hancock- Sextant, Secrets

Some other ideas off the top of my head...I tried to pick sort of weird or lesser known stuff that seems possible based on past releases. I apologize in advance for getting a little ahead of myself, but I bet there's at least one thing on this list people would buy:

The Guess Who- Road Food, #10, and Best Of Vol. II
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City two-fer
Chase- S/T & Pure Music two-fer
Dave Mason- S/T & It's Like You Never Left two-fer
David Essex- Rock On
Poco- Seven & Cantamos two-fer
Rick Derringer- All American Boy & Spring Fever two-fer
Later Santana titles not done by MoFi- Welcome, Borboletta, Amigos, etc (Though we'd probably end up seeing Love Devotion Surrender or the one with Buddy Miles first)
War- The World Is A Ghetto & Deliver The Word twofer
More Philly Int'l- MFSB, O'Jays, Isleys, etc
Anything on Project 3...but if I had to choose one then Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars
More CTI- Airto's Fingers, Benson's Body Talk, Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, etc
Jefferson Airplane/Starship- The Worst Of, Spitfire, Red Octopus, etc
Hot Tuna- America's Choice, Burgers, Yellow Fever

I'm just grateful for what we've gotten thus far...The PPL & RTF discs are my two favorites thus far. Thank you DV!

ALL great choices.

I just wish SONY would fling open their QUAD vaults and just let D~V have their pick and grant them dirt cheap licensing fees rather than let these masters collect dust and deteriorate.

IMO, Michael Dutton is a true guru at mastering these releases for SACD!

He really is. And, considering they are a small outfit, makes this whole thing all the more exciting. I mean, you truly have NO clue what he will release next....

I sure hope they add more soul, blues and rock, because for now they have been a dud site for me. I want to buy more, because I think they are a good company but the titles are not of my liking.

I sure hope they add more soul, blues and rock, because for now they have been a dud site for me. I want to buy more, because I think they are a good company but the titles are not of my liking.

NOT even if they released a title like Mantovani plays WHITESNAKE?

Mark, D~V is essentially an easy listening/Classical and polite jazz reissue company. A lot of their QUAD SACDs are already out of their 'normal' comfort zone.

Give them time.

Deodato/Airto In Concert is my favorite of the Deodato Quads. Based on what has already come out on Vocalion this would be my first recommendation. I don't remember just how good the surround was but content wise it's an excellent album!
How about Mandingo III (released on Capitol/EMI Canada) could be paired with "The Primal Rhythm of Life". III is fantastic in Quad!

How about Mandingo III (released on Capitol/EMI Canada) could be paired with "The Primal Rhythm of Life". III is fantastic in Quad!

That would be a possibility if Dutton Vocalion can work out something with Universal Music.
For now, they seemed focused on Sony Music UK when it comes to major label Quad reissues on Surround SACD.

Back