Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to hear Janis Ian's absolutely brilliant Between The Lines and Aftertones receive the D~V QUAD SACD treatment (y)(y)

that would be particularly lovely as not only are they great albums and nice mixes
but it would be a first time release for the Quads in discrete form as neither saw Q8 release
they were only out on SQ LP back in the day :music

that would be particularly lovely as not only are they great albums and nice mixes
but it would be a first time release for the Quads in discrete form as neither saw Q8 release
they were only out on SQ LP back in the day :music

Wonder if the master tapes are in usable shape?

"I learned the truth at seventeen that love was meant for beauty Queens........." I'd say!

with Sony's track record I imagine the Quad masters should be just fine, rights/licensing may be a bigger stumbling block idk?

I don't think licensing the Janis Ian albums for SACD Surround release would be an issue.
In fact, Ian licensed one of her early albums "Breaking Silence" to Acoustic Sounds for release on Hybrid Stereo SACD, LP and Analog Tape last year! :)

CAPP_027_SA___120661__12062016032726-1743.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/120661/Janis_Ian-Breaking_Silence-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD

Thanks for the recommedations, sjcorne... I really only like hard rock and classical music,but I'm trying to branch out. :)

Happy to help!

Truth be told I used to only like hard rock myself...it was surround that helped me discover great stuff like jazz fusion and prog I otherwise never would've bothered with.

Unfortunately when it comes to rock, there is a real treasure trove of high profile quads that haven't made it out yet. Stuff like Aerosmith, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, etc.

Of the commercially released quad discs, my highest recommendations for hard rock lover would be:
- Deep Puple- Machine Head
- BoC- Secret Treaties
- Jeff Beck Group- Orange Album, Rough and Ready
- Beck Bogert & Appice
- Ten Years After- A Space In Time (requires some user correction- fronts and rears are swapped)

I'll probably think of more later. Most surround releases today are prog albums- likely due to the efforts of Steven Wilson- so rock hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves yet.

Happy to help!

Truth be told I used to only like hard rock myself...it was surround that helped me discover great stuff like jazz fusion and prog I otherwise never would've bothered with.

Unfortunately when it comes to rock, there is a real treasure trove of high profile quads that haven't made it out yet. Stuff like Aerosmith, Edgar and Johnny Winter, Rick Derringer, Eagles, Doobie Brothers, etc.

Of the commercially released quad discs, my highest recommendations for hard rock lover would be:
- Deep Puple- Machine Head
- BoC- Secret Treaties
- Jeff Beck Group- Orange Album, Rough and Ready
- Beck Bogert & Appice
- Ten Years After- A Space In Time (requires some user correction- fronts and rears are swapped)

I'll probably think of more later. Most surround releases today are prog albums- likely due to the efforts of Steven Wilson- so rock hasn't really gotten the attention it deserves yet.
I would add to your list of the Rock heavy hitters:
- Jethro Tull - Aqualung
- Alice Cooper - Muscle of Love

So grateful for those two that I am still excited by the idea of them making it out into the digital world in fab sounding masters.

- Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick I know does not fall into this category being a later 5.1 mix. But the album is to Tull what CTTE is to Yes. In other words, one of the most important albums ever recorded, and from the golden era. It was a major hit, the tour is legendary, and the 5.1 mix is mostly amazing with side two particularly impressive and an improvement (imo) over the stereo mix. It can be called progressive rock, but it works for me just as well as Rock.

I'll admit the cross section of those interested in obscure british composers and those interested in multichannel audio may not have much overlap.

Don't many of their releases prove that those interested in quad will listen to pretty much anything released in that format? Ray Coniff? Percy Faith?

Don't many of their releases prove that those interested in quad will listen to pretty much anything released in that format? Ray Coniff? Percy Faith?

Instrumental Pop is one of Dutton/Vocalion' niche markets and they cater to it very well. Some QQ have purchased such Quad SACDs from the label only to realize that they actually enjoyed some of the music. Those titles are available at quite an affordable price, especially since many of their releases offer two albums on one disc.

I think the audience for a lot of these classical releases is somewhat Britain-centric. Elgar is a well-known composer but the disc of his works is for completists. The others are mostly known in Britain. I think the main audience for these releases is hardcore classical completists, explorers of unusual repertoire, and libraries, especially in the UK.

The easy listening stuff was, as I understand it, quite popular back in the day, so it appeals to surround enthusiasts who remember it as being around. A lot of the fanbase is also older for this music, but given how widespread it was I'd think the quad would have a broader appeal.

Yep! It reminds me of the legacy quad days when people had to buy demo LPs like 'Polka Night with the Quad Accordian Kings'. :rocks
Well, and that's the real issue, isn't it? It's "not cost effective" to hire engineers to mix stuff that people want to hear into new 5.1 or Atmos mixes, so we settle for literally whatever exists that has a legacy surround mix.

Well, and that's the real issue, isn't it?It's "not cost effective" to hire engineers to mix stuff that people want to hear into new 5.1 or Atmos mixes, so we settle for literally whatever exists that has a legacy surround mix.

I'll repeat what's stated upthread: the reality is that Dutton-Vocalion is a niche label specializing in easy listening and classical material. We're unbelievably lucky they are starting to issue titles outside their comfort zone (RTF, PPL, Santana, Garfunkel, ToP, etc) just for us.

Not to mention that the reissue/preservation of ANY quad material is a win for the membership of this forum. And hey, maybe some people actually like this stuff, so I think it's a little harsh to write it off as "settling".

I'll repeat what's stated upthread: the reality is that Dutton-Vocalion is a niche label specializing in easy listening and classical material. We're unbelievably lucky they are starting to issue titles outside their comfort zone (RTF, PPL, Santana, Garfunkel, ToP, etc) just for us.

Not to mention that the reissue/preservation of ANY quad material is a win for the membership of this forum. And hey, maybe some people actually like this stuff, so I think it's a little harsh to write it off as "settling".

Purely from a business standpoint though, the traditional audience for easy listening music is on a rapid decline, as far as pure numbers is concerned. Yes, they can count on a few new listeners ... but they are far better off expanding into more rock, jazz and blues titles if they want to grow. They simply can't sustain their business with a market segment that is well-into their 70s and 80s.

Back