Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would be a possibility if Dutton Vocalion can work out something with Universal Music.
For now, they seemed focused on Sony Music UK when it comes to major label Quad reissues on Surround SACD.

It does look like their costs and access to titles that fit the correct profile seems right with Sony and the BMG catalog. Uni are a mess (to deal with) in comparison. But I do wish D/V would try for a Warner / Rhino title someday.

I do wish D/V would try for a Warner / Rhino title someday.

Audio Fidelity released several Warner Music Surround SACDs from both 5.1 and 4.0 Surround Mixes.
So it could happen with Dutton/Vocalion and Warner UK. Time will tell.

Audio Fidelity released several Warner Music Surround SACDs from both 5.1 and 4.0 Surround Mixes.
So it could happen with Dutton/Vocalion and Warner UK. Time will tell.

I thought Warner Music had stopped licensing their catalogue titles out to smaller reissue labels last year. Is that still the case?

I thought Warner Music had stopped licensing their catalogue titles out to smaller reissue labels last year. Is that still the case?

Warner is still licensing some titles for reissue.
The recent Vinyl LP edition of Donald Fagen's The Nightfly on Mobile Fidelity is an example of that.

I sure hope they add more soul, blues and rock, because for now they have been a dud site for me. I want to buy more, because I think they are a good company but the titles are not of my liking.

That's totally cool - not everyone is required to like every release, nor should we feel obligated to buy every multichannel release, to say the least. I've personally been waiting for a reissue company to get into the Columbia/RCA classical quads for 12 years, ever since Sony pretty much totally bungled the chance to release these mixes in the early 00s. But some of the other D-V stuff completely doesn't work for me - I've avoided the "easy, light, and latin" stuff ever since my first order, which confirmed for me that it held no interest.

Did you check out the Pure Prairie League issue? That one seems it might be of interest. Otherwise I'd be surprised if they go in the direction of more popular material, but who knows.

Every title is a case by case thing. Some titles are off limits but only in certain formats. Some titles are off limits because of a deluxe set was just released.

For surround I was told that no modern 5.1 can be licensed out, but 4.0 vintage is open provided the artist/manager is not adverse.

So it really depends on all these factors.

Every title is a case by case thing. Some titles are off limits but only in certain formats. Some titles are off limits because of a deluxe set was just released.

For surround I was told that no modern 5.1 can be licensed out, but 4.0 vintage is open provided the artist/manager is not adverse.

So it really depends on all these factors.

Yes, those are some of the key factors when it comes to licensing for a major label reissue.

The price of these SACDs has jumped $3 each on Amazon Canada (seller crazygreen8, whom I believe is DV) from $17.99/$18.00 up to $20.99 (plus shipping). Still a good value but that’s quite a jump.

Currently £11.99 on the DV UK site, has there been a price increase there too?

The price of these SACDs has jumped $3 each on Amazon Canada (seller crazygreen8, whom I believe is DV) from $17.99/$18.00 up to $20.99 (plus shipping). Still a good value but that’s quite a jump.

Currently £11.99 on the DV UK site, has there been a price increase there too?

In a nutshell, it's because the Canadian dollar has weakened vs. the British pound in the last year, and the prices of D-V discs are/were discounted by £1 during their pre-sale/initial sale period, so they were £10.99 but they are £11.99 now.

Crazygreen8 is D-V's amazon marketplace seller name - when you order off Amazon (or eBay), the only difference is that they get a cut of the proceeds. The discs are still dispatched from Vocalion's warehouse no matter if you order from their website or amazon (.co.uk/.com/.ca).

I believe it's actually slightly cheaper to order directly from the Vocalion website as well, as £11.99 works out to about $20.19CDN (or for preorders etc. £10.99 works out to $18.50CDN). So it's a win/win really, you get your music cheaper and more of your money goes directly to the people behind these discs, instead of lining Jeff Bezos' pockets.

One more to add to my original post- The Outlaws' Lady In Waiting

Spinning the CD-4 now... I'm really impressed with the content and separation. Similar in style to the PPL release.

Definitely one of the best Arista mixes I've heard.

Spinning the CD-4 now... I'm really impressed with the content and separation. Similar in style to the PPL release.

Vocalion has licensed Arista albums from Sony Music for their SACD series (Michel Legrand, Dave Valentin).
The Outlaws could happen. (Time to send in your request to Vocalion's email address!)

thanks for the reminder, I enjoyed the Outlaws Quad but haven't played it since I recorded in the decombobulated CD-4 rekkid! :D

fwiw my favourite Arista Quad is The Brecker Brothers - Back To Back
(jazztastic! :smokin )

"what can a miracle do..." :music

The Montenegro title called 'Caravan' (R4P-5082) is the Japanese version of 'Others By Brothers', retitled for that market.

I suspected that this was a title and not a band. Sigh. I've always liked the Canterbury band's first, self-titled album -- Steven Wilson would agree, as he managed to get at least one of the early Caravan recordings done in 5.1 (In the Land of Grey & Pink).

Amen that that, but lets not through these titles under the bus, would love to have them too:

Best. RCA EPQ1-1591-QF (DQR), PQ8-1591 (Q8), PQ8-1591 (Q8)
Caravan. RCA R4P-5082 (CD4)
Dawn Of Dylan. Romulus RQ-5013 (Q8)
Fantastic Screen Themes Best 12. RCA R4P-5045 (CD4)
Hugo Montenegro. RCA APD1-0025 (CD4) [Italy], APDT-0025 (Q8)
Italian Western Screen Themes. RCA R4P-5063 (CD4) [Japan]

and while we are at it, lets get these Mancini's out:

Best. RCA EPQ1-1128-QF (DQR), PQ8-1128 (Q8)
Best Vol. 2. RCA EPQ1-1315-QF (DQR), PQ8-1315 (Q8)
The Concert Sound Of. RCA PQ8-1226 (Q8), APDT-1226 (Q8) [Italy]
Hangin' Out. RCA APD1-0672 (CD4), APT1-0672 (Q8)
Live In Japan. RCA R4P-5017 (CD4) [Japan]
Mancini Salutes Sousa. RCA APD1-0013 (CD4), EPQ1-0013-QF (DQR),
APT1-0013 (Q8), R4P-5037 (CD4) [Japan]
Original Screen Hits. RCA R4P-5066 (CD4) [Japan]
Screen Best. RCA R4P-5033 (CD4) [Japan]
Theme from "Z" & Other Film Music. RCA EPQA-4350-QF (DQR),
PQ8-1583 (Q8), R4P-5003 (CD4) [Japan], PQ8-1583 (Q8) [Italy]
Warm Shade of Ivory. RCA PQ8-1441 (Q8), R4P-5010 (CD4) [Japan]

My source is of course Mark's Quadraphonic Discography.

DV have already released the Mancini "Warm Shade Of Ivory" Quad on a 2-fer Surround SACD

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLK4574

Mancini Salutes Sousa MultiCh release would be very very cool..! :upthumb

Haven’t read the whole thread and I have no real knowledge in company rights, but seeing as Vocalion is releasing Columbia titles, what are the chances they could get a hand on the Blue Öyster Cult - Tyranny & Mutation quad?

Back