Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Absolutely STELLAR and some of the songs are breathtakingly beautiful. A slam dunk!

Not to spoil the 'moment' and to get somewhat back on track, Mathis has 8 surround SQ albums which would be ripe for potentially 4 Vocalion two~fers. I am listing all the surround albums and if you scroll down to the "M's" you will see the JM albums mixed for surround (QUAD) http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

Johnny Mathis "In Person" (SQ) is a double album and would probably contain most of his early hits, as well.

Thanks for your help...a couple of mouse clicks and I'm good to go on those 2 Mathis titles(y)..gotta get back to watching the tube...

Absolutely STELLAR and some of the songs are breathtakingly beautiful. A slam dunk!

Not to spoil the 'moment' and to get somewhat back on track, Mathis has 8 surround SQ albums which would be ripe for potentially 4 Vocalion two~fers. I am listing all the surround albums and if you scroll down to the "M's" you will see the JM albums mixed for surround (QUAD) http://www.surrounddiscography.com/quaddisc/quadpall.htm

Johnny Mathis Live (SQ) is a double album and would probably contain most of his early hits, as well.

(Trying not to get too carried away.. but my love for Mr.Mathis bubbles over! :eek: ) I hope they start with his 1973 "I'm Coming Home" album.. that is the best Johnny Mathis Quad mix (mixed by Thom Bell himself no less.. :worthy ) from an actual mix perspective, it is terrific..

(Trying not to get too carried away.. but my love for Mr.Mathis bubbles over! :eek: ) I hope they start with his 1973 "I'm Coming Home" album.. that is the best Johnny Mathis Quad mix (mixed by Thom Bell himself no less.. :worthy ) from an actual mix perspective, it is terrific..

Adam, I'm sure you've scrubbed that SQ Vinyl version of "I'm Coming Home" to death with your 'frothy' fairy:bounce17 liquid. So glad you're a Mathis fan. I saw him live many years ago and I was astounded at what a powerful voice he had unlike Frankie Sinatra who had to be heavily miked.

"Chances Are" if we petition Vocalion to release those Mathis Quad discs as "two~fers," perhaps they'll oblige us....and hopefully not have to wait until "the Twelfth of Never" to experience their release! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTMCiZacwD4

I wonder if they have access to the Columbia Quads, as well. Wouldn't that be special?

YES..!!! :wave

..I did mention on here a while back how cunningly clever it would be of a U.K label to get in on the act and start licensing old Quads for release on Surround SACD or DVD, as a British label would no doubt have cheaper and readier access to the licensing of Quad material of the various labels.. seems like Vocalion read my mind.. can you imagine if Vocalion can steam in there and fill in the gaps AF can't release since those titles have been Quadblocked in the U.S.A by other labels releasing stereo only product such as MFSL etc...??

Wow... :yikes ...these are amazing times for us and our little surround music hobby.. it feels like things are about to explode with 5.1 and Quad, new players are popping up everywhere..

Adam, I'm sure you've scrubbed that SQ Vinyl version of "I'm Coming Home" to death with your 'frothy' fairy:bounce17 liquid. So glad you're a Mathis fan. I saw him live many years ago and I was astounded at what a powerful voice he had unlike Frankie Sinatra who had to be heavily miked.

"Chances Are" if we petition Vocalion to release those Mathis Quad discs as "two~fers," perhaps they'll oblige us....and hopefully not have to wait until "the Twelfth of Never" to experience their release! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTMCiZacwD4

Oh man - I too am a huge Mathis fan...have been ever since the early 70's as my pappy listened to Mathis vinyls nearly every day. I would buy every single Mathis disc they care to put out...... :) :)

If they could license the entire Motown quads catalogue (16 titles...)

That wouldn't get them very far since Universal is unable to find the Motown Quad tapes.

The MOST we could hope for is "needledrops" from Motown CD~4 vinyl like the Rick Wakeman "DVD~A" reissues!:yikes

Although a lot of them were pressed in Japan so maybe that wouldn't be so bad.

The MOST we could hope for is "needledrops" from Motown CD~4 vinyl like the Rick Wakeman "DVD~A" reissues!:yikes

That may not be such a terrible thing after all.. not all needle drops are equal after all.. :eek:

...Have to say, I feel more at ease making this kind of statement at this very moment in time.. having done over 200 vinyl transfers this year alone.. I'm a LONG way off being any good at it.. but I am discovering new things about the process literally every day..

..There are so so SOOOO many factors at play that the results, given the huge number of variables and influences, even with the same equipment and the exact same disc, are astonishing..! Even if I say so myself.. :eek: ..I have done a number of new transfers lately that are a noticeable improvement on the transfers I did of the very same records just six months ago.. the learning curve is immense...!

..More so now than ever I have the utmost respect for all the guys here and elsewhere who make and have made - and have most graciously opted to share with others - so many of the needledrops, conversions, decodes and transfers that were my first introduction to a number of masterings and mixes unique to the legacy formats like matrix (SQ/QS, etc..) LP and the discrete Q8, CD-4 and Quad Reel sources...

..to those Quadraphonic preservation heroes I take my hat off and salute them all - THANK YOU TO ALL THE INCREDIBLE HARD-WORKING CURATING QUADRANISTAS THROUGHOUT HISTORY.. your work may well have resulted in the only surviving copies of certain Quad mixes from the past - good job..!!!!

:worthy

:wave

:woopie

Boo.. ! :p
This is no time to play Scrooge McQuad..! (oh hang on, its Christmas..! :eek: :violin)

Scrooge McQuad, AKA "Multichannel Maven" AKA B. Moura probably has ALL those 'missing' QUAD A&M, Dunhill and Motown Masters stuffed in his oversized California King mattress! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7CLXHSr1M

BTW, Adam, have you tried Organic Mistletoe? Helps to cut down on those wet sloppy kisses!:ugham:

Scrooge McQuad, AKA "Multichannel Maven" AKA B. Moura probably has ALL those 'missing' QUAD A&M, Dunhill and Motown Masters stuffed in his oversized California King mattress! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7CLXHSr1M

BTW, Adam, have you tried Organic Mistletoe? Helps to cut down on those wet sloppy kisses!:ugham:

Orgasmic mistletoe? I'm all over that like herpes! :ugham:

You could email Vocalion and suggest that. They would still have to get a license for the Motown reissues.
Who knows ?

That wouldn't get them very far since Universal is unable to find the Motown Quad tapes.

Well they managed to 'find' the quad tapes for Diana Ross' 'The Last Time I Saw Him' as recently as 2008 for a stereo fold-down on the Hip-O Select 2 CD deluxe edition of the album. I have a feeling a lot of these 'cant finds' are more like 'can't be bothered to find'.

Back