HiRez Poll Rózsa, Miklos - Rózsa Conducts Rózsa [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Miklos Rózsa - Rózsa Conducts Rózsa

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 SACD release from Dutton Vocalion.

Full info below (all from the Dutton Vocalion website):
RÓZSA CONDUCTS RÓZSA
THE ORIGINAL LP LSC 2802 (1965) STEREO/SURROUND
RCA ITALIANA ORCHESTRA

1. Overture to a Symphony Concert, Op. 26/a (1956)
2. Three Hungarian Sketches, Op. 14 (1938): Capriccio – Pastorale – Danza

3. Notturno Ungherese, Op. 28 (1962)
4. Theme, Variations and Finale, Op. 13 (1933): Theme – Variation 1 – Variation 2 – Variation 3 – Variation 4 – Variation 5 – Variation 6 – Variation 7 – Variation 8 – Finale

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDLK4590

(n) :) (y)

81Orj2hEimL._SL1426_.jpg

Still waiting to get this one, but this message from Michael Dutton was posted on the Rosza forum elsewhere on the internet regarding the origins of the quad mix, since this was a pre-quad recording:

"The multi-channel mix is from 3-track tapes from which the original stereo was mixed -- tapes in tins that hadn't been opened in 46 years (I think) were found in Sony’s archive, I have created a 4-channel mix to open the sound out & give it the depth that Rozsa's music requires. You feel at times you are in the orchestra, especially in the Overture. Its an alternative to the stereo, which is still very good. The original stereo is in 2-track SACD and standard stereo 16bit/44.1"

I gave this a brief listen, and the mix is kind of what you'd expect for a 3-channel source...subtle and not terribly discrete but nice. I personally would have preferred a 3-channel stereo version, but this is certainly the best the album will ever sound. The music is new to me but interesting...I'm still getting into Rosza's concert music but the theme and variations is appealing, while the concert overture is a bit bombastic.

Back