HiRez Poll Montenegro, Hugo - LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER & A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Hugo Montenegro - LOVE THEME FROM THE GODFATHER...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 SACD release from Dutton Vocalion.
The Love Theme from The Godfather Quadraphonic mix is also available to stream in Dolby Audio via Apple Music:
https://music.apple.com/us/album/love-theme-from-the-godfather/1497774433
Full info below (all from the Dutton Vocalion website):
Love Theme from The Godfather
1. Medley: Baby Elephant Walk (Mancini) from the film Hatari! – Moon River (Mancini; Mercer) from the film Breakfast at Tiffany’s
2. Norwegian Wood (Lennon; McCartney)
3. Me and My Arrow (Nilsson) from the TV movie The Point
4. Air on the G String (Bach)
5. Quadimodo (J. Montenegro)
6. I Feel the Earth Move (King)
7. The Godfather Waltz (Rota) from the film The Godfather
8. Love Theme from The Godfather (Rota; Kusik) from the film
9. Pavane (Fauré)
10. Stutterology (H. Montenegro)
HUGO MONTENEGRO & HIS ORCHESTRA

* from the film The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
** from the film For a Few Dollars More
*** from the film A Fistful of Dollars
11. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Morricone)*
12. March with Hope (Morricone)*
13. The Story of a Soldier (Morricone)*
14. The Ecstasy of Gold (Morricone)*
15. A Fistful of Dollars The Man with No Name (Morricone; Mellin)*** < theme from the film
16. Hang ’em High (Frontiere) from the film
17. For a Few Dollars More (Morricone)**
18. Aces High (Morricone)**
19. The Vice of Killing (Morricone)**
20. Sixty Seconds to What? (Morricone)**
21. Square Dance (Morricone)***
22. Titoli A Fistful of Dollars (Morricone; Mellin)***
HUGO MONTENEGRO & HIS ORCHESTRA WITH CHORUS except [17]

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDLK4595

(n) :) (y)

91X9Hk4bSdL._SL1426_.jpg

Last edited:
The godfather is a masterpiece. A perfect quad mix. I am guessing this the album that got HM the nickname the Quadfather. The music is also great. You guys are going think i am crazy, but the mix on this is as good as Pink Floyd DSOTM to me, just my opinion, i just love it. I haven't listened to the other album on this disc yet, but i did preview it, and it is definately not near as good as the godfather musically. But i would give this disc a 10 if the second album was mono tape hiss. The godfather is enough to make it a 10 to me. I will report back when i get the second album listened to. So glad DV did this release, and the other HM quads. I hope we get HM Rocket man next. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

I listened to A fistful of dollars, and it is ok, a lot of the songs sound like the theme from the Good, bad , and the ugly, which is on the disc also. This is quite different than the other HM releases. The music is fair and the quad mix is not bad, just not the kind of music i listen to very much. I would rate this title by itself between 6 or 7. Still my overall rating of the disc with this and the godfather is a 10. The godfather is good enough to keep it at 10 to me.

Last edited:
A load of fun. For the first time I find myself liking The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly. There's a rather interesting version of Air On The G String.

Beautiful quad mix with things going on all around. Good sound, good material. They don't come much better.

Another 10.

I wished I could go back and change all my poll votes to just reflect my opinion on the surround mix. As it is I find it hard to give this title the 9 or 10 (8 for the second half) it deserves for the quad mix and mastering. File under guilty pleasure.

Musically, I actually prefer the second part. A minority opinion I gather, based on the comments so far. :)

Revisiting this disc a few months on I'm pleased to report that I like it even more than I did when I first got it.

The material grows on me more with each playing, and the mix is indeed stellar.

I love both of these...

The Moon River montage at the beginning of The Godfather has me longing for a Mancini 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' quad release.

The Good/bad/ugly (my favourite of the 2) is just real good fun. I always laugh when the backing vocals come in on Hang em High! Not the usual - content wise, but that doesn't matter at all in this case. A nice one to have...

Last edited:
"The Godfather" album is just pure Quad adventure... discrete and very active... like "The Flaming Lips" of it's time. I don't love it all, but I like a lot of it. And the fidelity is crystal clear. The "Fistful Of Dollars Etc." portion of the disc is slightly duller in terms of fidelity and not as active in terms of surround, but makes up for it in terms of content (I love the original soundtracks and these versions keep that spirit while providing a discrete surround presentation). I like this disc better than the "Rocket Man/Mammy Blue" disc overall. 9.

"Godfather" was Montenegro's, and RCA's, first Quadradisc release. It was intended as a fun demo, and it certainly succeeds in that! Lots of sound in motion, showing the many possibilities quad has to offer. "Good/Bad/Ugly" is a bit more conventional, but is stellar in its overall mix and sound. Definitely a favorite.

Back