Last Vinyl Record Plant in Canada to Close

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The economics of making Vinyl Records remain challenging in 2017.....

vinyl.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x756.jpg

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/01/04/canadian-vinyl-record-pressing-plant-closes.html

How odd, after having just read this two days ago: http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2017/01/03/vinyl-records-sales-1991/

Also, I remember a few years back reading more than a couple articles about how the record pressing plants are overbooked and overworked with the resurgence of vinyl. But then I go to record stores and see COUNTLESS reissues, and many by indie artists, so I have to wonder how overworked they might be if they can squeeze in these presumably lower sellers.

Perhaps there are fewer hipsters nostalgic for the sound of damaged music through a malfunctioning turntable setup? (Which is what I see in this "vinyl resurgence". People listening to 24/96 HD masters through Prism DA converters who are just not satisfied and need to spend $10,000 on a vinyl setup to try to better that - for the maybe 12 pressings ever made truly to that level of perfection... yeah, no.)

About time!

If audiophiles are accused of using music to listen to their equipment, what does that make hipsters who use music to intentionally listen to the sound of generation loss?

Perhaps there are fewer hipsters nostalgic for the sound of damaged music through a malfunctioning turntable setup? (Which is what I see in this "vinyl resurgence". People listening to 24/96 HD masters through Prism DA converters who are just not satisfied and need to spend $10,000 on a vinyl setup to try to better that - for the maybe 12 pressings ever made truly to that level of perfection... yeah, no.)

About time!

If audiophiles are accused of using music to listen to their equipment, what does that make hipsters who use music to intentionally listen to the sound of generation loss?

Well, there are a lot of things that I can't understand - like most rap, a lot of country, and all "scream-o" music, but it doesn't change the fact that they sell a lot, and right now, vinyl sells a lot: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/jan/03/record-sales-vinyl-hits-25-year-high-and-outstrips-streaming

There does seem to be a resurgence amongst the mid to late twenty-somethings to have vinyl, I think they're (re)discovering that holding a physical record gives you a 'connection' to the music, that the downloads don't give them. Plus a lot of us old gits do still buy vinyl from time to time, usually in the expensive box sets just to get the 5.1 mix on BD-A/DVD-A! Mind you there is something quite nice about the ritual of playing vinyl or reel-to-reels.

A BBC sound clip on the 25 year peak in vinyl sales http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38503500

Personally, I'm glad that there has been a resurgence of vinyl. I hadn't realized that new vinyl pressings never stopped until Dennis Mabry took me to a store full of new records about 5 years ago. I've got about 60 new pressings that sound fabulous.

I like vinyl for a lot of reasons: the nostalgic value, the sound quality, the large artwork, and the personal involvement in the act of listening as DuncanS alluded to.

Hi. All

Another thing to think about is that the original LP`s where from analog master tape, a lot of these analog master tapes where transferred to Digital so in essence its no longer Analog to LP its digitally remastered to LP.....?????

My biggest question about record reissues also. If they clearly marked like CD did, it would help. Like instead of DDD or AAD, specify AAA. but back then it was digital that was "better". I wonder about the Tape Society, don't they specify all analog? Not that I have the budget or inclination to get into those tapes. I still buy new records though.
Heck, they might use Class D amps to drive the cutting heads now. (joke)

Never did stop buying vinyl. Friends and family thought I was behind the times.
One of the reasons for continuing to buy vinyl is that as long as you take care of it, it will last forever, unlike cd rot or blu rays suddenly not working.
Also, most lps released today also come with free digital downloads, so you get the best of both worlds, analogue and digital.

Back