Level
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: QUAD & RE-QUADS LISTINGS

Quote Originally Posted by fizzywiggs41 View Post
    Yes, Baby Snakes as listed should actually state, FRANK ZAPPA-BABY SNAKES ( movie DVD 5.1)

I think it worth mentioning as a derived from quad as they mention Frank originally mixed this in 4 channel in 79 in the DVD credits.
    Thanks to your list, I have now listened to this twice. First without the video and then with it. The surround does add to the mix with a slight volume bump to the rears even with full range (rear) speakers. I may do some more "research" on this...

2. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 153
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ssully View Post
    I don't think the Kleiber Beethoven 5th/7th 5.1 mixes (which I've owned as SACD, then later as BluRay*, and btw, the mastering is different -- arguably worse on the BluRay, I'll start another thread on that...) are reissues/reconfigs of old quad mixes -- my impression from credits is that they were created for the SACD.

Same for the Pollini Chopin.

Those are the only two DG surround releases I own.

(*and in between there was a DVDA version! I haven't got hold of that yet....working on it)
    I looked at one more track from the Kleiber blu-ray, the 4th movement from the 5th symphony I think it tells you a pretty simple story about the mastering on the disc - the multichannel track is mastered at a very low level. Anyone who knows this symphony can tell you parts of this movement are supposed to be loud, especially in the opening crescendo, and yet the track doesn't get that loud. Fortunately, it just means you'll need to turn up the volume a bit more to get the sound right. The stereo on the other hand is close to the optimal levels.

Stereo:
    KleiberBeethoven5-4-Stereo.jpg

Multichannel:
    KleiberBeethoven5-4.jpg

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

A plethora of anomalies also plagued Naxos' foray into BD~A. The rears were SO disappointedly low in volume that I resorted to playing the Stereo track [which undoubtedly sounded more robust].

I'm NOT opposed to ambient rears in classical recordings but when you fail to hear the rears.....best to play the album in stereo [at least, IMO].

I'm sure poor sales and lackluster choice of material also contributed to Naxos' withdrawal from further BD~A releases and 'tis a shame because some of them were worthy releases and were discrete in nature (Mahler's Eighth comes to mind.....a stellar recording).

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 780
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubertrout View Post
    I looked at one more track from the Kleiber blu-ray, the 4th movement from the 5th symphony I think it tells you a pretty simple story about the mastering on the disc - the multichannel track is mastered at a very low level. Anyone who knows this symphony can tell you parts of this movement are supposed to be loud, especially in the opening crescendo, and yet the track doesn't get that loud. Fortunately, it just means you'll need to turn up the volume a bit more to get the sound right. The stereo on the other hand is close to the optimal levels
    Such level difference is of no consequence, though arguably, an 'optimal' level is one where peaks do not exceed ~3dB-6dB of digital maximum, in case there are intersample 'overs' and the playback hardware cannot handle them properly.

The mastering difference between the BD and SACD 5.1 I was referring to is in their EQ. I hope to get around to explaining, maybe this weekend.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I forgot the by far biggest difference between the DG Kleiber BluRay and the SACD: there is NO SURROUND MIX on the BluRay. (DG 479 1106) So ubertrout, I don't know where your 5.1 BluRay files are coming from.

(The EQ of the BluRay is also different from the SACD 2 channel version -- it's 'smiley faced' compared to the SACD)

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually I forgot the by far biggest difference between the DG Kleiber BluRay and the SACD: there is NO SURROUND MIX on the BluRay. (DG 479 1106)

(The EQ of the BluRay is also different from the SACD 2 channel version -- it's 'smiley faced' compared to the SACD)
    Right...but you know the 3cd/1blu ray edition of all his orchestral recordings includes the surround mix, and it's not much more expensive than the stereo-only blu-ray.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Right...but you know the 3cd/1blu ray edition of all his orchestral recordings includes the surround mix, and it's not much more expensive than the stereo-only blu-ray.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ah,thanks.

I actually just found it for *less* than the single 2ch BD.

9. Likes ubertrout liked this post
    Member surround.sound.enthusiast's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: QUAD & RE-QUADS LISTINGS

I'm well behind the times to chime in here, (as the conversation has blossomed), but the original intent of this thread could be a great candidate for a sub-category in Mark Anderson's Quadraphonic Discography.
    Granted, these listing would be duplicate to some listings in his other non-analog categories, but in the Quad-specific group it would be a handy reference for digital 4-channel and derived from 4-channel releases.
    Not that he isn't busy enough keeping the total discography updated from time to time ...

11. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes himey, fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdrive
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a disc that KBFH or British Biscuit broadcast. GENESIS-GENESIS LIVE (73)

Now I read somewhere's in one of the GENESIS liner notes at one time that this was to be the FIRST broadcast show by KBFH ? So I always wondered if it was indeed broadcast.
    I searched through some notes via Live book set with the RAINBOW Concert and found that it mentions GENESIS-GENESIS LIVE was indeed broadcast.

A little "iffy" but by proxy it could be considered , but I'm certain not derived from quad as this Nick Davis 5.1 mix is just too good to have been from a quad-KBFH mix.

Never the less, I thought it worth mentioning that GENESIS had an album made in quad at one time.

20170113_182932.jpg20170113_182936.jpg20170113_184202.jpg20170113_181134.jpg

I was always under the impression that it was prepared for broadcast and never happened, the notes say otherwise.

13. Thanks rtbluray, zimmy thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, zimmy liked this post
    300 Club - QQ All Star arnold_layne's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 154
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here - The SACD release is not quadraphonic. Only 5.1 and stereo mixes. Only the Immersion set (BD and DVD) contained the quad mix.

15. Thanks rtbluray, fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes rtbluray, fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arnold_layne View Post
    Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here - The SACD release is not quadraphonic. Only 5.1 and stereo mixes. Only the Immersion set (BD and DVD) contained the quad mix.
    Good catch. I missed that sucker. Only the Blu-ray s/b listed.

I was thinking about listing the "boot" DVDA of DSOTM only because it was reviewed by reputable magazines/journals and was widely available. But......oh well.

400 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Classical would be a long list. In lieu of that, I'm just going to give links for the biggest reissue series.

Sony Classical
    A lot of these are hard to tell; I can't confirm if they actually used the quad mix, and in several cases probably didn't. The Schippers/NY Phil Alexander Nevsky/Pictures at an Exhibition and Bernstein conducts Copland are modern mixes from 3-track tape, I believe.
    • Boulez Conducts Bartok (did not use quad mix)
    • Boulez Conducts Ravel
    • Bernstein Conducts Holst (The Planets) and Britten (did not use quad mix)
    • Bach: The Four Great Toccatas and Fugues (E. Power Biggs)
    • Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4 (Bernstein - Nutcracker Suite on Disc is pre-quad)

Deutsche Grammophon
    These are the ones done by DG itself, not Pentatone. In all cases these discs have a surround mix that is believed to be sourced from Quad, since a quad mix was never released it's impossible to know for sure - not positive if the center channel is muted or artificially created. To be clear, not vouching that these are all from quad, but it would be surprising if they weren't.
    • Karajan - Mozart Requiem
    • Karajan - Beethoven 9th (70s recording, not the complete set from 63 also on SACD)
    • Kleiber - Beethoven 5th and 7th (also on blu-ray box with his other orchestral recordings for DG, unclear is the Schubert 3rd & 8th in that set is an upmix or from a quad)
    • Kleiber - Verdi: La Traviata
    • Pollini - Chopin Polonaises

EMI/DTS Entertainment
    DTS CDs with a muted center channel, released in 1998.
    • Karajan: Tchaikovsky Symphonies 4-6 (one per release), Mozart: Symphonies 35-41 (two per release, excluding 37 which is actually by Michael Haydn)
    • Boult: Tchaikovsky Orchestral Suite No. 3
    • Villa-Lobos conducts selections from his Bachianas Brasilieras
    • Paavo Berglund/Bounmouth SO: Grieg's Peer Gynt Suites and other Nordic works.
    • Martinon: Complete Orchestral Works of Debussy (five releases)
    • Previn/LSO: The Planets
    • Muti: Aida (Caballe, Domingo, etc)

EMI
    24/48 DVD-A 2 sided discs (other side is a DVD-A with DD and DTS tracks)
    • Previn/LSO: The Planets
    • Mackerras: Handel Fireworks and Water Music
    • Previn: Messaien's Turangalīla-Symphonie
    • Kempe: Strauss's Also Sprach Zarathustra and Alpine Symphony
    • Cleobury: Bach Magnificat
    • Martinon: Ravel Orchestral Works (Bolero, La Valse, Daphnis)
    • Karajan: Wagner Overtures & Preludes
    • Previn: Waltons Belshazzar's Feast, 1st Symphony, & Scapino Overture

Supraphon
    A surprising number, all Japanese releases - listed here: http://www.hraudio.net/music.php?for...bel=582&page=1

Vanguard
    Most Vanguard SACDs had two releases, once through Artemis and once through Omega. The Omega releases came first; the only thing to be aware of is that the Omega release of the Berlioz Requiem has a defective mix, fixed in the Artemis release.
    They're listed here: http://www.hraudio.net/music.php?for...abel=35&page=1

Classic Records also released the Berlioz Requiem in quad DVD-A; their only quad release.

Silverline/Vanguard

Silverline re-released many recordings made by Vanguard in 5.1 surround sound as DVD-Audio discs. They advertised these discs as being from quadraphonic sources, but in reality only some of them were, and there's never been complete clarity on this point. Most of these were also re-released as dualdiscs, again by Silverline. I have not included a few older recordings that are clearly not in quad, notably the Adrian Boult and Pierre Monteux discs, as well as the recording of Prokofiev's Lt. Kije Suite and Peter and the Wolf with Boris Karloff narrating. I also originally included the three symphonic recordings done by Sergiu Comissiona in the list but subsequently removed them, when a little sleuthing revealed that these were actually very early digital recordings. Silverline does not have a great reputation for honesty about their sourcing, but at least these discs all include a high-res stereo track as well. It's a darn shame, because there were plenty of Vanguard quad recordings that need a re-release: http://www.surrounddiscography.com/q...quadclas.htm#V

(All with Maurice Abravanel, Utah Symphony)
    Brahms Symphonies 1-4 (complete), Haydn Variations, Overtures (3 releases)
    Sibelius: Symphonies 1-7 (complete) (3 releases)
    Mahler: Symphonies 1-6 (6 releases, 5 & 6 on dualdisc only). 1, 3, 5, & 6 were released on quad, 2 & 4 were pre-quad recordings.
    Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake & The Nutcracker (one release each)
    RV Williams: Symphony No. 6 etc
    Rachmaninoff: Symphony No. 3

Disturbingly, except for four of the Mahler Symphonies, it does not seem that any of the rest were originally released in quad, according to the quad discography. It is plausible that an unreleased quad mix existed for some of them.

Pentatone
    The big one; they've heavily mined the Philips quad vaults, and also dipped into Deutsche Grammophon.

Dutton/Epoch
    The new player in town, from the Sony vaults: http://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/products.php?cat=3

Mobile Fidelity
    8 Releases: http://www.hraudio.net/music.php?for...abel=60&page=1

This is mostly off the top of my head, what did I miss?

Edited to add MoFi and fix typos.
    Edited again to add more DTS CDs
    Edited again to add Silverline
    Apparently I can't edit this anymore, but I wanted to add Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez etc - John Williams to the list of Sony Classical SACD releases of quads.

18. Likes fizzywiggs41 liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a disc that KBFH or British Biscuit broadcast. GENESIS-GENESIS LIVE (73)

Now I read somewhere's in one of the GENESIS liner notes at one time that this was to be the FIRST broadcast show by KBFH ?
    "The King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcasted its first Quadraphonic show
    on April 29, 1973 with the performances by Edger Winter & Richi Havens
    in the SQ Matrix format. The first stereo performance was on February
    18, 1973 with performances by Mahavishnu Orchestra, Blood, Sweat and
    Tears & Bruce Springsteen and syndicated to about 50 stations."
    http://www.surrounddiscography.com/q...c/quadradi.htm

So I always wondered if it was indeed broadcast.
    If so, not in quad on KBFH, it seems. The only quad Genesis from KBFH listed on that page are from 1975 (the Lamb tour) and 1978 (And Then There Were Three tour) :

20. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

As regards the DG Kleiber, I've compared the SACD (5.0) to the DVD-A (5.1) and all of the shared channels (LCR, SL SR) are the same on both releases. That suggests that the .1 content of the DVDA is 'doubled bass' , created from the other channels but not removed from them.

Still waiting for the 5.1 BluRay set to arrive...

22. Thanks ubertrout thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

If so, not in quad on KBFH, it seems. The only quad Genesis from KBFH listed on that page are from 1975 (the Lamb tour) and 1978 (And Then There Were Three tour) :
    Yes I know about the "Lamb" KBFH in 75. Would like it if they released the whole concert in 5.1. I think it is the same as the stereo release on Genesis-Atlantic Years cd set.

I tried to find in my Genesis notes were it was stated "for the first broadcast by KBFH" but can't seem to find it. If I run
    across it again, I'll post it as I found it interesting historically. Whether or not it became a first is unusual from their own info
    of course, I don't remember if exact dates were mentioned.

Yes, thanks on that first broadcast, of which I have, so I'm aware of it.
    BTW mine says it's a quadcast., The Springsteen, Mahavishnu, BS&T one, that is.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little follow up to GENESIS LIVE and KBFH.

Not listed in my good QQ friend's very extensive listings.
    However there are some large gaps in the 1973 dates unlike the majority of the listings.

I find this to be an excellent source for all things KBFH, btw.

http://www.eclipse67.com/kbi.htm

25. Thanks John Svensson, zimmy thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a little follow up to GENESIS LIVE and KBFH.

Not listed in my good QQ friend's very extensive listings.
    However there are some large gaps in the 1973 dates unlike the majority of the listings.

I find this to be an excellent source for all things KBFH, btw.

http://www.eclipse67.com/kbi.htm
    [post withdrawn]

I got my own research *exactly backwards* in my withdrawn version. My newpaper archive search actually verified these California dates:

EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER:
    Convention Center, Anaheim, Calif. Feb. 1 -2
    Long Beach Arena, Calif. (3)
    Swing Auditorium, San Bernardino, Calif. (9)
    Civic Center, San Francisco (17 -18)

and *no* sign of a Feb 10 Anaheim gig. The Feb 10 date is the one that is incorrectly propagated in some sources (e.g. Edward Macan's ELP book). Wolfgang is correct! The KBFH show is from Feb 2 (and WBMF is from that date too...but only that one...?)
    Last edited by ssully; 01-28-2017 at 05:43 AM.

27. Thanks fizzywiggs41 thanked for this post
    Likes himey liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

I recieved a conversion copy of the Feb 18 73 from Discrete masters from a reliable source and I do believe it "was" SQ encoded , fwiw. So....I would think it was also a quad broadcast .

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow oh QUAD WOW !!

Gonna have to update my "listings " for this thread .

2017 started off with maybe a couple of quad additions , but as of now it's really starting to Balloon Quad reissues , incredibly pro-quad titles popping up all over , including the - NEVER BEFORE AVAILABLE Quads !!--from the 70's .

I'll wait til November/December though . Could be MORE surprises afterall .

-and yes a small # of deletions from my prior listing, but only a small few .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123