Does this exist?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinD9052

Since 2002/2003
Does anyone know where I can find a standalone Dolby Pro-Logic II decoder? I've been looking around for one to use with 2 stereo amps in my music room. A SM handles the matrix decoding & synthesizing but I feel some music synthesizes better with DPL-II. (I base that on the HT receiver I no longer have). All I can find are 20 year old vintage units that cannot handle DPL-II or outboard PC units. Does a standalone unit for stereo to surround applications exist?

NIce find, but just in case OP doesn't tend to read the whole review, here is a paragraph from that same review that probably should be noted right off the bat. :)

Issues

When I buy an audio device, I'm not just happy if it produces recognisable sound when I plug it in. Most people don't care much about this and indeed, sometimes ignorance is bliss. However, in this case it was already apparent from my initial tests that even ignorance would not shield me from a constant feeling that something was wrong while using the HDAR. I have quite a bit of experience with lower-priced electronic devices originating from China/Hong Kong and they all have similar flaws. This one is no different. The short story is, if you use the HDAR as-is, it's very likely that you will either have a huge gap or a huge bump in the frequency response. The first will manifest itself as a feeling that some sounds are missing, and the other will cause a ‘boomy’ sound. Moreover, if you're going to play movie soundtracks and you like bass, you'll constantly have the feeling that it's impossible to get the low frequency effects right.

I bought one of these a long time ago and still have it. It works fine. You can probably get one on eBay for $50.
For some reason the dude on YouTube calls in an equalizer. That it's not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7qfnDEJGWs

SONY SDP-E800

or just Google the thing

Thank you both for your suggestions. My blu-ray player has onboard AC-3 & DTS decoding that outputs to analog jacks. So MCH SACD, DVD-A & Blu-ray connect easily. But looks like the DPL-II PC boxes only have USB, optical or digital connectors. Makes sense since they are aimed at the PC market. Another concern is does it include a full featured Music mode with adjustable dimension & other settings? (I like a horseshoe config to my synths). I can't find it mentioned anywhere. Jon's suggestion to scope out a vintage standalone unit on eBay may be the way to go.
It is a shame that MCH analog inputs are so hard to find on new receivers.

Back