Blackstar in SURROUND!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
from today's Tony Visconti FB page:

Tony Visconti
18 hrs ·

One of the happiest days of my life, the premiere of David Bowie's video of Blackstar by director Johan Renck. A few days earlier I feverishly worked on a surround sound mix for the theater, assisted by Erin Tonkon. During the very first showing I was sat next to Rob Stringer, CEO of Sony Music, who exclaimed, "This sounds f***ing great!" It was played back properly loud. When I told him it was a surround sound mix he said I should mix the whole album in surround sound. Well, that time may come eventually.

Even though, there are many Bowie albums I wish would be mixed in surround....I would be absolutely ecstatic if Blackstar were mixed in surround. Wow!!:mad:@:

Blackstar would be great in 5.1...and add on the new "No Plan" EP too please.

There's been whispers of a Blackstar deluxe version, all unconfirmed of course....but a nice doable package might be the cd, a cdep with No Plan stuff, and a blu-ray with 5.1 of both and the videos.

I was wondering if it was a case of holding the surround master back for a 2nd round of sales (major label SOP) but it sounds more like they rushed the stereo mix out before the 5.1 was finished reading this. I hope this gets finished and released. Absolutely fantastic album that deserves a proper full release with a Tony Visconti 5.1 mix!

I was wondering if it was a case of holding the surround master back for a 2nd round of sales (major label SOP) but it sounds more like they rushed the stereo mix out before the 5.1 was finished reading this. I hope this gets finished and released. Absolutely fantastic album that deserves a proper full release with a Tony Visconti 5.1 mix!

From the way I read it, it sounds like the album was never meant to be released in surround when it originally came out a few days before Bowie's untimely death.
The surround mix of the title track was specifically created for the video being shown in a theater for label execs, friends, family, etc. but it certainly made a good enough impression on the head of Sony, so maybe a full album surround mix will be a part of a forthcoming deluxe reissue.
It would also give them an opportunity to add extra tracks and videos to a reissue, just like they did for "The Next Day".

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Bowie's Blackstar is raking in some awards at tonights Grammy Awards. How cool!!!

I'm so happy right now. Bowie swept all his awards (5/5) and he completely deserved all of them.
"Blackstar" was the best album of 2016.

I'm so happy right now. Bowie swept all his awards (5/5) and he completely deserved all of them.
"Blackstar" was the best album of 2016.

Wasn't there some discussion on another thread that Bowie's producer Tony Visconti was considering remixing Blackstar into 5.1?:banana:

Back