Feeling Sentimental, Firsts all formats.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
1st. Music media purchases.
Bob Seger: Rambling Gambling Man. 45 rpm. 1967
Amboy Dukes : Amboy Dukes. 33rpm LP. 1967 (brother had Sgt. Pepper)
Deep Purple: Machine Head. 8 trk. 1972
Moody Blues: Days of future Passed. Q8 ?????
The Tubes: The Tubes. Cassette 1975
Compact Disc ??????? (Over 400 ripped now collecting dust)
Eagles: Hotel California. Dvd-Audio. 2001
Big Brother: Cheap thrills Sacd. 2002
TP& Heartbreakers: Damn the Torpedoes. Blu-Ray Audio. 2010
Can you remember yours ?

1st. Music media purchases.
Ray Stevens: Gitarzan 45 rpm. 1970
Bill Cosby: Bill Cosby is a Very Funny Fellow...Right! 33rpm LP. circa 1970 (may he disappear in peace)
Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells - Music 33rpm LP. 1973
?????? 8 trk. (never had an 8 track player in the day) much later I bought the Pink Floyd Animals cart for the rare material
I did buy some, but no idea which came first - Q8 ?????
George Carlin: FM & AM Cassette 1973
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here SQ-LP 1983
Pink Floyd: 1982/1983 Compact Disc (bought several of their titles before I had a player)
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon Sacd. 2003 (again purchased before I had a player)
Led Zeppelin: How The West Was Won Dvd-Audio. 2/24/07
Clapton, Eric: 461 Ocean Boulevard Official DTS. 1/12/09 (actually a gift from Private Universe!)
Grateful Dead: American Beauty Dual Disc DVD Audio 10/24/09
King Crimson 01 In the Court of the Crimson King MLP/DTS Audio 12/4/2009

My first quad/surround system is up and running 2/12/10 - previously my space was always wrong for surround

Petty, Tom: Damn The Torpedoes & Mojo Blu-Ray Audio. 3/8/11

1st 78 "hand-me-down" from elders: either Disney's "Willie The Whale (Who Wanted to Sing at The Met)" or Basil Rathbone, Jane Powell - Humperdink's "Hansel und Gretel"
1st 45 as a gift: Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
1st music media purchase with my own money: Mary Poppins soundtrack
1st rock/pop album purchase: The Guess Who - American Woman (followed soon after by 5th Dimension - The Age of Aquarius)
*no 8trk's...ever*
1st cassette - a TDK-D, I believe...which I then used to get Glenn Miller's music into my car. This was 1969; I was a very strange boy.
1st surround disc - John Keating - Space Experience (RCA CD-4)
Compact disc(s) Joe Jackson - Body & Soul, Manheim Steamroller's first Christmas album
First modern surround disc: Queen - A Night at the Opera DTS (first Elliot Scheiner mix); I also got a Santana and a Tower of Power discs that day, but didn't realize they would be stereo.
First movie with surround track: reggio/Glass' Koyannisquatsi, Manheim Steamroller sampler w/videos and demo productions, DVD-A
1st surround download: Alan Parson's quad mix of Dark Side of the Moon...um, I may not have, ehh, 'paid' for that, exactly.... :shh:
First Blu-Ray: Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair

1st Cylinder: "Under the Yum Yum Tree" -1911
1st 78: Artie Shaw's "Begin the Beguine"...still have 2 copies, first heard at my Grandfather's when I was perhaps 6.
1st 45: A package of several,,,,only memorable included a Jimi Hendrix and an Al Wilson soul one, about 1968.
1st LP: Either Beach Boys "Wild Honey" or Al Hirt's Music for Latin Lovers....or a title something like that, I was a budding trumpet player.
1st CD: No memory, guess it was not memorable.
1st Quad LP: Billy Joel's "Turnstiles" about 1977.
1st Surround Digital: Steve Miller "Fly Like an Eagle", the DD version. I have since progressed.
1st Blu Ray: Beach Boys "Pet Sounds" box set.

My music tastes run the gamut....as do my reproduction hardware. ;)

Wow, I wish I remembered, but my memory is VERY fuzzy..
IIRC, the 1st LP on my collection was when we were shopping in a dept. store called "Gem", and I saw the "Jan & Dean meet BATMAN" (which is quite good- basically a comedy album with some GREAT instrumentals with the Wrecking crew, among them, the "Batman theme"...unfortunately, the last LP Jan did before the accident that would trump his musical career). Since I was a huge Batman fan because of the TV series (who wasn't back then?), I begged my Mom to get it for me; to which she responded "But you don't speak English, son, you wouldn't understand it!"...so I promised her that , if she bought me that LP, I'd LEARN English...she did and I kept my promise..I still have that battered mono copy and a few years ago I found a SEALED original copy (Libertry Records) in STEREO for about $30 on fleabay.

I think the 1st 45 was "Live and Let die"/"I Lie around"...

The 1st CD was either King Crimson "Three of a perfect pair" (or "Beat", both "Target" CDs)...either that , or PF WYWH (which I sold on fleabay a few years ago for $140 !!!) with Robert Plant's "The principle of moments", which I bought in 85 in , of all places , Los Angeles. To my dismay, when I got back home I discovered that the Robert Plant one had a defect..a "melted drop" on the playing side, so I took it to a Sears and convinced them that I had bought it there...and they gave me the money!!!

I think my 1st DVD-A was Seal IV...which I remember we bought when it came out...I still didn't have a Surround system, but I was already planning on getting one (took me 4 years to do so). I remember playing the LPCM Stereo on our PA and being floored by the sound quality, compared to the normal CD...

1st BD was either Genesis SEBTP or Rush "Signals" (EDIT: it was Jethro Tull's "Aqualung" box set)

UGH - I honestly wish I could remember as well. A few things, I do.

My first 33 1/3 RPM vinyl was actually 4 of them....which my older brother bought me on my birthday...way back then.

Queen - News Of The World
Boston - Boston
E.L.O. - A New World Record
Kansas - Leftoverture

First CD
The Outfield - Play Deep :yikes

First 8-track
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Not Fragile

First comedy album -
Steve Martin - Let's Get Small

First Laser Disc
Terminator 2

OOPS - YOU SAID MEDIA..JUST REREAD OP. :)

First concert ever...with parents
Johnny Cash

First rock concert...
Peter Frampton

UGH - I honestly wish I could remember as well. A few things, I do.

My first 33 1/3 RPM vinyl was actually 4 of them....which my older brother bought me on my birthday...way back then.

Queen - News Of The World
Boston - Boston
E.L.O. - A New World Record
Kansas - Leftoverture

First CD
The Outfield - Play Deep :yikes

WOW!!!!
Your brother REALLY LOVES YOU!!!!
that's GREAT bundle of LOVE!!!

And , no need to be ashamed about the "The Outfield" CD, that's one GREAT Album ("Sixty one seconds is all it takes...")...BTW, RIP John Spinks....

The cannabis has killed far too many brain cells for me to remember most of this stuff.

I think my 1st LP bought with my own money was the Beatles Hey Jude album (a US released greatest hits/singles package). I think my first quad 8 track and my first DVD-A purchased were the same title... Alice Cooper, Billion Dollar Babies.

I'm much better with the first girl friend question. Ahhhh, Christy... too bad it didn't work out.

I like this thread!

First LP: the Royal Guardsmen--Snoopy vs the Red Baron

First 45: Lee Michaels--Do You Know What I Mean

First Cassette: Stones--Sticky Fingers

First 8 track: Band--Rock of Ages

First SQ LP: Edgar Winter Group--They Only Come Out at Night

First CD-4 LP: Doobie Brothers--What Were Once Vices

First Q8: Pink Floyd DSTOM

First MiniDisc: Richard and Linda Thompson--Shoot Out the Lights

First music Laser Disc: Laurie Anderson--Home of the Brave

First music VHS: Richard Thompson--Across a Crowded Room

First CD: Everything But the Girl--same title

First SACD: Marvin Gaye--Midnight Love

First DVD-A: Johnatha Brooke--Steady Pull (Dual Disc)

First music BluRay: not sure, maybe a King Crimson or Yes

First Pure Audio BluRay: Beck--Sea Change

Back