Audio Fidelity Hybrid Stereo (and Mono) SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pieceofmindvideo has been a reputable seller for me, I have purchased a lot of items from the company over the last year or two. I have seen this one listed at bargain prices before, guess I ought to figure out if it is something I would like.

Chris

Seriously though, this is wonderful news to wake up to. If, they are Quad that is. :)
No one mentioned the Leon Russel title. Any chance they would release that in Quad as well? That would be 2 new Quad releases on the same date....which doesn't seem to fit the general feeling that releases will trickle out now...

Seriously though, this is wonderful news to wake up to. If, they are Quad that is. :)
No one mentioned the Leon Russel title. Any chance they would release that in Quad as well? That would be 2 new Quad releases on the same date....which doesn't seem to fit the general feeling that releases will trickle out now...

The Leon Russell album was never released in Quad, so I think that's a pretty safe 'no'.

Leon Russell & the Shelter People in Stereo SACD. Now Available for Pre-Order at Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct.
Available: August 26, 2016.

532768.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...ell_And_The_Shelter_People-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Leon-Rus...ition-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/AFSA259/
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-532768...ssell-and-the-shelter-people-hybrid-sacd.aspx

I have the Right Stuff CD, also mastered bt SH.
This is a really good album, hope this release gets the attention it deserves.

I received this stereo only disc and it is another top notch release by AF. Really the best thing is the music is wonderful. Lots of different people and styles, Muscle Shoals, Tulsa, etc. The sonic beauty is open and airy with a good sound stage, not the widest but good. Midrange, piano and vocals are superb. All tunes are hits.

Let's see what these end up being:

"Shinin' On" by Grand Funk Railroad
Joe Cocker

Both were released as Quadraphonic 8-tracks back in the 70s, but after what happened with "Musicmagic" and "Tale Spinnin", something tells me these will just end up being stereo-only too...

Grand Funk seems like an obvious choice for Quad. The harder rock material seems to have sold well on Quad (I was told Best of Guess Who sold out the first pressing), less so the softer material.

Grand Funk seems like an obvious choice for Quad. The harder rock material seems to have sold well on Quad (I was told Best of Guess Who sold out the first pressing), less so the softer material.

If a Grand Funk Railroad Quad release from AF does come to pass, it really would be an unprecedented Quad release from AF seeing as how the album was originally released on Capitol Records, a label that is now under the auspices of Universal Music, and so far, Universal has not released any Multichannel SACD titles through AF.
I don't really feel optimistic about either one, but I feel at least a little more optimistic about GFR than I do about Joe Cocker. That was an A&M Quad title, and we all know how those A&M Quad master tapes have not been well managed since then...

Well in the plus column for Grand Funk at least, some years ago Steve Hoffman posted on his forum when he was remastering Grand Funk's 'We're An American Band' that the label had accidentally sent him the quad masters originally instead of the stereo ones. So presumably the Capitol quad masters still exist, which is a good thing.

The Grand Funk quad mixes aren't the best (a lot of reverb and not not a ton of discrete instrument placement) but I would still very much welcome this one if it turns out to be quad, but I'm sure it would still sound miles better than the old Q8's. I'm a bit surprised they've chosen this album and not 'American Band', which is a much better and more consistent record in my opinion. Additionally, Shinin' On was released as a stereo SHM-SACD in Japan a few years ago which would make this one even less essential if it turns out to be stereo-only.

As for the Joe Cocker album I'm expecting stereo-only because as rt said, the location of the A&M quad masters seems to be a bit of a mystery at the moment, and the last Joe Cocker album AF did was stereo-only as well. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst!

Back