TV Calibration Discs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I've kicked around the idea of getting one of these before and I wonder if its needed more for the video or audio. Having a 3D TV that beens calibrated from settings on a forum.
Are these a waste of cash, or do any members recommend a specific title ? Slightly more than curious.....
I attempted a search of old threads / posts and came up empty.....

Disney WOW Blu-ray (LFE)
Avia II DVD (LFE in particular Buzz & rattle test)
DVE HD Basics Blu-ray
Spears & Munsil HD (for Video only)
Most Dolby/DTS Demo discs from 2005 on (For complete surround)

each has there on own useful part, none are all inclusive

then there's certain DVD-A's, SACD's, Blu-rays that each have a certain mix that helps confirm your settings because your able to exercise the whole range in one playback

The key is to find the certain frequencies (using frequency sweeps) you need to isolate your particular weaknesses in the system and then figure out what's needed to fix that weakness

Interesting about finding a weakness, I was leaning towards the aix disc 3D sound (surround) calibration. Thanks

Again thanks to all replies and info, may go with knifemans suggestion because of 3D Video and 7.1 Audio equipment I spark up....

Used accumulated Cashback points to buy off Zon 29.99, will put it through its testing and let you know how it did for my equipment.

I use the Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark disc. I think it has everything you need for both audio and video. Check this: http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html

Interesting, I find that the Spears doesn't have hardly any useful sound calibration but the video calibration is probably the best and most extensive of any calibration disc. There are so many video test patterns that you could virtually lock in every single pixel on your screen.

I'm assuming before you try calibrating your audio setup, you spend a little time "burning in" your ears. THEN use the Audyssey or other software that comes in the amp. THEN use the disc to check your work.
Lather, rinse, replay.

I'm assuming before you try calibrating your audio setup, you spend a little time "burning in" your ears. THEN use the Audyssey or other software that comes in the amp. THEN use the disc to check your work.
Lather, rinse, replay.

For me Yamaha ypao mic.

Ah - learning something new every day (dang it...how am I ever going to catch up...)

One of the most useful tests on any disc for me would be a low frequency sweep. It's amazing how many rattles you can find in your room which could seriously affect sound quality.

Back