Roy Orbison - Black & White Night 30th Anniversary Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Black & White Night 30 is a re-imagined, re-edited, remastered and expanded version of the original television special, available both as a CD/DVD set and as a CD/Blu-ray set on February 24. Re-edited by Roy's youngest son Alex Orbison, the program has been restored to reflect the correct set order as the audience who attended the show saw it. Liner notes written by son Roy Orbison Jr. are included in the packaging as well as a treasure trove of bonus content.

Black & White Night 30 includes a previously unseen alternate version of "Oh, Pretty Woman", a previously unseen performance "Blue Angel." a 'secret concert' performed by the band after the audience had left of five songs featuring alternate takes of "Dream You," "Comedians," "Candyman," "Claudette," and "Uptown". The audio for the concert is available on CD with buyers of Black & White Night 30 receiving a download code for access to the audio records of the 'secret concert.'

Additionally included is a brand new 33-minute mini-documentary consisting of rehearsal footage and pre and post show interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello and more PLUS a photo montage consisting of 20 still photos from the show and new photos of show memorabilia, mostly unused and unseen in any context.

Track Listing:
*= Previously unreleased
1) Only the Lonely
2) Leah
3) In Dreams
4) Crying
5) Uptown
6) The Comedians
7) Blue Angel
8) It s Over
9) Running Scared
10) Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)
11) Mean Woman Blues
12) Candy Man
13) Ooby Dooby
14) Blue Bayou
15) Go Go Go (Down the Line)
16) (All I Can Do Is) Dream You
17) Claudette
18) Oh, Pretty Woman (ALT Version)*
19) Oh, Pretty Woman

Secret Post-concert alternate versions (offered as a digital download within the CD)
20) (All I Can Do Is) Dream You*
21) Comedians*
22) Candy Man*
23) Claudette*
24) Uptown

AVAILABLE FEBRUARY 24TH

:)

Too early to know, but I'm sure the mix is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only saw this DVD once at a friend's house, so my memory may not be accurate. But my opinion is this concert is best listened to without watching the video. I found it too disconcerting to see a guitarist on screen and hear the sound coming from the rear channels.

I only saw this DVD once at a friend's house, so my memory may not be accurate. But my opinion is this concert is best listened to without watching the video. I found it too disconcerting to see a guitarist on screen and hear the sound coming from the rear channels.

That's the issue with super discretely mixed concert films like this one.
The audio is an experience unto itself, but despite the disconnect between the audio mix and what you see on screen, I like watching this concert a lot to see all of the various star players up on stage with Mr. Orbison.

Now available to preorder from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Black-White-Night-30-Bluray/dp/B01N6PY6RF/

Current price for the CD/Blu-Ray set is $24.98

Cover was found on the IMWAN forum:
51dFZYzxLcL.jpg

(Not a fan. The original was much better…)

I found it quite the "opposite".

I wish more small live venues had a "bold as this" surround mix.

Please report back on the Roy Orbison reissue. I have the original Blu-Ray and wondering if this new release is worth picking up.

I only had the original DVD, never the Blu Ray, so now 30 years later with Blu Ray and 4K TV, it is really intense, can see everything in black and white, dust in the air, etc. I prefer it when the cameras pull back, looks beautiful, when close up on Roy, looks too bright and shiny, like he is angelic, I guess that's the point.
Liner notes from Roy Jr, says the magority of the film has never been seen, good liner notes and packaging. The CD has 19 tracks, the Blu Ray has video 20 tacks, 1st is Intro, and Bonus Secret Post Show, and an MP3 download of the Bonus Secret Post Show. This new release is of course way better than my original DVD.

Beware - me thinks Shkerbeck bought this new 30 one and was very unimpressed - so maybe not same mix :yikes

He says in the listening to now thread:

Roy Orbison- Black & White Night 30 Blu-ray...well, I've finally got this mix that I've read so much about! Problem is, I don't think this is the same mix that's on the previous DVD-A or DVD-V versions (this is the only version I have, so I can't directly compare... I was never able to find the version that came with the DVD-A). The surround mix on THIS version is lackluster (IMO); really just ambience in the rear speakers (I don't hear any discrete rear elements at all, unfortunately). The video looks good (but purposely grainy), and you do get several bonus songs from an informal jam that occurred after the "official" concert. I'm pretty disappointed considering the rave reviews I read in the forum about the original release surround mix being very discrete and aggressive (on the blu-ray there are no guitars or other instruments bursting forth from the rear speakers whatsoever). If anyone has both versions, I'd love to read a comparison! (Better yet, if anyone can tell me where I might be able to hear the original DVD-A surround mix, I'll do the comparison myself!)

I have a set with DVD-V/DVD-A.Listened a little to them,and it's the same discrete mix on both.The DVD-A sounds a lot better of course.I have the HD-DVD too,but I'm not able to play it at the moment,but I think it's the same mix.

I'll have to give my SACD/DVD-V copy another listen to, I can't remember what the mix was like, the performance is great though. I just had a look and its 17 songs, intriguingly the DTS/DD 5.1 DVD-V is copyright 1999, and the 2.0/5.1 Hybrid-SACD is 2004.

Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying this:
I do not believe that live concert films have to have a discrete 5.1 mix. (For example, I just purchased the Steve Hackett Total Experience Blu-Ray, and it is a great disc even without a discrete surround mix.)
That being said the original 5.1 mix for "Black & White Night" (on DVDA-V, SACD, and Blu-Ray) is one of the best, all thanks to one of our best multichannel mavericks, Elliot Scheiner.

What's on this new Blu-Ray is definitely NOT Elliot's mix. As a matter of fact, his name is not listed at all in the credits for this new release.
I compared the new mix with the old mix, and they are not alike at all.
The old mix is a rich, enveloping, well-bodied, and discrete mix.
The new mix is almost completely all in the front, even the audience! Plus Orbison's voice has appears to have been pushed up (not neccesarily a bad thing) but a lot of the other textures that make Elliot's mix so revealing have been pushed off to the side and out of the way to where they are barely intelligible at times.

So, to sum up, if you want a great 5.1 surround mix, do NOT buy this new 30th anniversary Blu-Ray!
Go search out the original Blu-Ray, DVDA-V, and SACD releases if you want to hear the mix that everyone raves about!

I'm so pissed off that I blindly purchased this disc. I wish I had not. Even the bonus features cannot make up for the terrible mix that the new Blu-ray contains.

(n) :( :mad:

It's very difficult to tell if this is a very lazy "surround" mix or if the disc has been mastered incorrectly as there is very little in the rear channels apart from a bit of what could be generously described as "ambience". It comes over as more of a stereo mix with even the audience in the front speakers and I might actually prefer the stereo mix. I would only recommend this version if you want the additional tracks.

It's very difficult to tell if this is a very lazy "surround" mix or if the disc has been mastered incorrectly as there is very little in the rear channels apart from a bit of what could be generously described as "ambience". It comes over as more of a stereo mix with even the audience in the front speakers and I might actually prefer the stereo mix. I would only recommend this version if you want the additional tracks.

It doesn't sound like a mastering issue at all. Just a very lazy surround mix.
Likely what happened is if they didn't feel like creating a whole new surround mix from scratch, they took the new stereo mix, fed it through reverb and stuck the reverb in the back channels.
What a terrible way to disrespect both the legacy of Roy Orbison and Elliot Scheiner!
You can bet I'm pissed! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:nuke Why oh why do they do dumb things like not putting a great surround mix on a re-release :flame, it already exists, you don't have to pay for it to be done!!! I'm glad I've the original.

I listened to the SACD today, it is a really engaging and enveloping 5.1 mix, definitely look for the DVD-V/SACD/DVD-A (the SACD actually has 18 tracks, not 17 as listed).

Back