Roy Orbison - Black & White Night 30th Anniversary Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did anyone really think that the original 5.1 mix could be improved upon ?

No, I think what happened was the producers of this set probably wanted a more 'realistic' 5.1 mix (aka one that more accurately represents how the concert would have sounded if you were sitting in the audience that night)
And like I said, there's nothing wrong with utilizing that mixing approach for a live concert (like on the new Steve Hackett Blu-Ray I also purchased) but in this particular instance, it made no sense to throw out the existing 5.1 surround mix, which is FAR superior in all ways! (Not just in terms of discrete placement)

(n) :( :mad:

This was on PBS this past Saturday here in Chicago for one of their drives, and was an ambient mix. Definitely not Elliot's discreet mix!

The new mix is actually pretty good imho[I know people are gonna tear me a new one over that to them I say bring it on!]

The new mix is actually pretty good imho[I know people are gonna tear me a new one over that to them I say bring it on!]

Well if I would have known you would like it, I would have gladly sold you my copy! (And I'm sure I'm not the only one on QQ who would have made that offer to get this new CD/Blu-Ray edition of their hands…) ;)

I too enjoy this new mix. This mix is definitely tamer than the original mix, but it is still a wonderful alternative.

The dynamic range seems better than the original, and Roy's voice in particular sounds less shrill and is warmer.

The closest thing I can tell all my friends here at QQ is that this new mix sounds more like a studio mix with less discreteness and definitely less audience noise.

I can only compare it to the first time I listened the Steven Wilson's remix version of ELP's "Lucky Man" compared to the original 5.1 mix on Brain Salad Surgery. Steven's mix sounds more refined and less adventurous in comparison to the original, but I still very much enjoy both versions.

I definitely like having both versions!

Last edited:
I can only compare it to the first time I listened the Steven Wilson's remix version of ELP's Brain Salad Surgery compared to the original 5.1 mix. Steven's mix sounds more refined and less adventurous in comparison to the original, but I still very much enjoy both versions.

You mean Jakko Jakszyk's 5.1 mix of "Brain Salad Surgery"?
Steven Wilson never remixed that album...

You mean Jakko Jakszyk's 5.1 mix of "Brain Salad Surgery"?
Steven Wilson never remixed that album...

sorry for the brain fart.

I meant to describe "Lucky Man" only from the the original 5.1 mix in BSS to Wilson's version on his mix of ELP.

sorry for the brain fart.

I meant to describe "Lucky Man" only from the the original Jakko mix in BSS to Wilson's version on his mix of ELP.

Sorry, you still don't have it right, but at least I know what you want to say now, and that is:
I can only compare it to the first time I listened to Steven Wilson's remix version of ELP's Lucky Man compared to the original 5.1 mix. Steven's mix sounds more refined and less adventurous in comparison to the original, but I still very much enjoy both versions.

[Jakko mixed the 2014 5.1 mix of "Brain Salad Surgery", not the 2000 5.1 mix that had "Lucky Man" as a bonus.]

;)

Sorry, you still don't have it right, but at least I know what you want to say now, and that is:

[Jakko mixed the 2014 5.1 mix of "Brain Salad Surgery", not the 2000 5.1 mix that had "Lucky Man" as a bonus.]

;)

damn! you took the words out of my brain salad surgery :).

My main point is that this new mix is still very good and actually sounds very balanced in comparison to the more adventurous original surround mix.

The original definitely has wow factor, but the band can sound overwhelming at times in the surround channels.
This new mix is extremely well-balanced with Roy being the center of attention.

This new surround mix is... not really a surround mix. It works fine for watching a concert performance video, but as a stand alone piece of "surround music", it wouldn't be worth the bother of ripping it from the blu-ray. I'll keep mine in my "music video" library, but certainly not in my "surround sound" library.

Just watched the PBS version in 5.1; not much different than the original, IMHO
If you closed your eyes, you'd probably not notice anything major; except the new additions
Still a great show, but .................................................................................................

There's a new professional review of this 30th version on blu-ray.com and he said this is identical to the original:

"I viewed the entire concert with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track and as far as I can tell its basic characteristics are identical to those of the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track that was included on the out-of-print release that Image Entertainment produced."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Roy-Orbison-Black-and-White-Night-30-Blu-ray/172550/#Review

There's a new professional review of this 30th version on blu-ray.com and he said this is identical to the original:

"I viewed the entire concert with the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track and as far as I can tell its basic characteristics are identical to those of the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track that was included on the out-of-print release that Image Entertainment produced."

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Roy-Orbison-Black-and-White-Night-30-Blu-ray/172550/#Review

Seriously, what the f*** is this guy going on about?!
The 5.1 mixes are NOTHING alike.
They are as different as the night is from the day.
I will reiterate, do NOT buy this new 30th anniversary release!
Stay far away from it!

Seriously, what the f*** is this guy going on about?!
The 5.1 mixes are NOTHING alike.
They are as different as the night is from the day.
I will reiterate, do NOT buy this new 30th anniversary release!
Stay far away from it!

I'm thinking that he probably didn't actually do any real comparison between the two at all and just thought 'Yeah, that sounds fine' without realizing/remembering how incredibly discrete the original is. You actually being a sound engineer and what you previously posted about the differences between the two versions is what prompted me to point this review out. :confused:

Looking to get this with the Elliot Scheiner mix. Am i corrct that the 30th anniversary blu ray does not contain the Elliot Scheiner mix?
If so what options do i have for the ES surround mix, just the original sacd or dvd?

Looking to get this with the Elliot Scheiner mix. Am i corrct that the 30th anniversary blu ray does not contain the Elliot Scheiner mix?
If so what options do i have for the ES surround mix, just the original sacd or dvd?

You can still get the blu-ray with the ES mix and the picture is the best it's ever looked.

just make sure you get this 2008 blu-ray:

https://www.discogs.com/release/7480557-Roy-Orbison-Black-White-Night
and not the 2017 release that this thread is talking about.

To miss the visual flim would be to miss half the experience

Back