• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nektar - SQ Vinyl 1974 - Down To Earth - One Owner

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Needs to be re-homed to a good owner.
I bought this new in the 70s and have played it maybe 10 times in 40 years (on a stereo stylus).
[In those days I'd spin new vinyl only once to dub a cassette and listen on the road.]
I've never heard it in quad, it's now clear I'll never own a quad cartridge.

If you can appreciate this title, make me an offer.
Apparently it's not super rare, five on Discogs $25-30.
Open to a trade (no vinyl), or PayPal.

I'll leave this open for a week for offers.
PM or public, whatever's comfortable.
If there's more than one I'll pick the most appealing and figure out the details then.

First time trying to trade here.
Kindly let me know if I'm not playing according to Hoyle in any way.

If you already have this, how's the quad sound?

Attachments

• DSCF3400.jpg
    DSCF3400.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF3401.jpg
    DSCF3401.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF3404.jpg
    DSCF3404.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCF3391.jpg
    DSCF3391.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF3388.jpg
    DSCF3388.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF3390.jpg
    DSCF3390.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF3402.jpg
    DSCF3402.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
Just so you know, you don't need a quadraphonic cartridge to hear that album. As it's SQ encoded, any old stereo cartridge and stylus will do. All you'd need is an SQ decoder and a multi-channel amplifier (vintage or modern). There are numerous discussions on the forum about good and bad vintage SQ decoders, but you could also go with a brand new Involve Audio Surround Master (the thread is a bit long, but it will tell you how to order one) equipped with an SQ decoding chip, and connect it to a modern A/V receiver with multi-channel EXT. IN RCA jacks - and you'd be up and running!

^^^

Thanks for the excellent constructive suggestion.
I appreciate that you read my post carefully.

I'm afraid I didn't take the same care in composing it.
I used a poor shorthand for the sake of brevity.

I'm retired on a fixed income.
I have no desire to acquire the decoder and different receiver I'd need to listen to quad vinyl.
I have two titles that randomly slipped into my collection in the 70s.
Not about to start buying more.
In however many years of listening I have left, I'll put my resources into digital media.

I delight in and am grateful for you good folks who keep the vinyl flame burning.:sun

~dave~

^^^

Thanks for the excellent constructive suggestion.
I appreciate that you read my post carefully.

I'm afraid I didn't take the same care in composing it.
I used a poor shorthand for the sake of brevity.

I'm retired on a fixed income.
I have no desire to acquire the decoder and different receiver I'd need to listen to quad vinyl.
I have two titles that randomly slipped into my collection in the 70s.
Not about to start buying more.
In however many years of listening I have left, I'll put my resources into digital media.

I delight in and am grateful for you good folks who keep the vinyl flame burning.:sun

~dave~

Good point. But just so you know (as many don't) any quad album regardless of matrice can be decoded with a good pair of ear buds.(open ear type preferred)
No decoder required as the human brain/ear combo becomes one. Now results do vary, but you should obtain a reasonable decode.
Both Ben Bauer of CBS LABS ,( also inventor of SQ Quad btw) and the inventors of Sansui's QS acknowledged this little known fact and published papers regarding this unique surround decoding back in the dying days of quad.

Just another way to get your quad fix.(y)

Just so you know, you don't need a quadraphonic cartridge to hear that album. As it's SQ encoded, any old stereo cartridge and stylus will do. All you'd need is an SQ decoder and a multi-channel amplifier (vintage or modern). There are numerous discussions on the forum about good and bad vintage SQ decoders, but you could also go with a brand new Involve Audio Surround Master (the thread is a bit long, but it will tell you how to order one) equipped with an SQ decoding chip, and connect it to a modern A/V receiver with multi-channel EXT. IN RCA jacks - and you'd be up and running!

There are software based decoding options too, at least one is free...

Back