Marillion: Marbles in the Park - 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisMoore Jr.

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20466

This is one of those rare dream come true live recordings. Its the entire Marbles album live. WOW.

Marillion - Marbles is a masterpiece IMHO.

Includes a 5.1 mix. Obviously Marillion isn't known for their surround sound, so we'll see how this one sounds.

Audio
96khz PCM Stereo
96khz DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround

Marbles is great, I do have a bit of trepidation as to how good the surround mix will be though. I'll be seeing Marillion again this year at Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival in August. They were excellent last time they played at it, worth a trip over the pond for those you on the wrong side of it! :)

Edit: It is Fairport's 50th this year so to quote Sandy Denny "Who Knows Where The Time Goes"!

This is one of those rare dream come true live recordings. Its the entire Marbles album live. WOW.

Includes a 5.1 mix. Obviously Marillion isn't known for their surround sound, so we'll see how this one sounds.

Audio
96khz PCM Stereo

Marbles is great, I do have a bit of trepidation as to how good the surround mix will be though. I'll be seeing Marillion again this year at Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival in August. They were excellent last time they played at it, worth a trip over the pond for those you on the wrong side of it! :)

Edit: It is Fairport's 50th this year so to quote Sandy Denny "Who Knows Where The Time Goes"!

I'm seeing Marillion at the Royal Albert Hall in October :). I'll definitely buy this blu-ray. Looking at the tracklisting reminded me that, even though Marbles is my favourite Marillion album, I've only actually got the single cd version. This blu-ray includes all of the songs from the double cd, which makes it a must buy for me. And they're such a great band live, this one should be worth getting if you like them, even if the surround mix isnt top notch.

Does it feature a 5.1 of the original album? I saw that the concert films are included, but are the original songs playing underneath them when watching them?

Audio
96khz PCM Stereo

Dennis olde bean !

It's been awhile since you posted something. Thankyou and good to know your following, ol' chap !!

I may have to take up that pic you found for me as an avatar ?.....all I was able to find was this good old fellow (on the left)!

Fizzywiggs :sun

20161223_203924.jpg

from the colourized film "Scrooge" :smokin

Well this blu-ray arrived today and I've finally got a chance to watch and listen. I haven't really tested the discreteness of the rears out yet, but there's definitely action in the rears (ooh er missus), and the fidelity of it is excellent, and the performance superb.

Does it feature a 5.1 of the original album? I saw that the concert films are included, but are the original songs playing underneath them when watching them?

Afraid not - the screens are synced to the live soundtrack. 5.1 is so-so. A bit better than most "live" 5.1s but still pretty much audience and reverb with some small effects here and there (probably by accident).
Still one of my greatest pet peeves is when live concert recordings boast 5.1 on the packaging but it really only amounts to putting the audience in the rears.

Still - Marbles is fantastic album that I perhaps like better than their current album FEAR which won Prog Rock Magazine's Reader's Poll for best album.
Try it even without the surround.

Afraid not - the screens are synced to the live soundtrack. 5.1 is so-so. A bit better than most "live" 5.1s but still pretty much audience and reverb with some small effects here and there (probably by accident).
Still one of my greatest pet peeves is when live concert recordings boast 5.1 on the packaging but it really only amounts to putting the audience in the rears.

Still - Marbles is fantastic album that I perhaps like better than their current album FEAR which won Prog Rock Magazine's Reader's Poll for best album.
Try it even without the surround.

Exactly. I tend to favor the stereo track on live releases, unless the 5.1 is actually discrete. The majority are like you say just audience and reverb in the rears and sometimes vocals in the centre. In those instances, I'd rather choose the stereo track and have my speakers create the centre vocal. You can tell that the stereo is the main track and the 5.1 just an afterthought to aid in advertising.

I've been on a Marillion Blu-Ray buying spree lately!
I just purchased this 3-disc Blu-Ray set from their website:
http://www.marillion.com/shop/dvd/outoftheboxBD.htm
It contains an entire live performance of the "Marbles" album on Disc 2 and an entire live performance of the "ANORAKNOPHOBIA" album on Disc 1, with a live run through of all of the singles on Disc 3.

Should be a great set indeed!

:)

Back