Can Vocalion Find Universal Music Quad Tapes for Multichannel SACD Release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Universal has released surround material including old quad masters such as Eric Clapton's 461 and Every Crowd, and a few others in recent years.

Master Tapes usually reside in the country of origin so I'm sure a lot of those original masters are in non American vaults.

I'm still wondering if they can't access from local (for Dutton UK) some of the many UMG sub labels for LONDON , MAM , PARROT , DERAM (DECCA).??

Well we have both likely candidates with artists such as Gilbert O'Sullivan and Tom Jones who both had Quads issued prior ?
Not too certain who else Dutton with their love of M.O.R. would or could accept into their quad re-issue family , but on CURTOM and GROOVE MERCHANT for some soul and jazz come to mind via U.S. artists such as Buddy Rich , Groove R Holmes , Curtis Mayfield and others from those UMG/LONDON sub labels .

:music

Many of the Decca quads 'Phase 4' were recorded in England so the multi masters are probably not in the Universal US vaults ....
The same could probably be said of Philips and Polydor titles ( in Dutch // German vaults)
Thoughts...????

And perhaps JAPANESE vaults , much like Sony ! I'm hoping Phillips/Phonogram Japan as they had a number of Asian marketed quads of English acts from the 70's of some very big artists from ENGLAND , U.S.A., and CANADA .

That would be nice, but given the disastrous state of affairs regarding Universal's Quad tape Archive (or lack thereof) I think DV is wise to stick with Sony.
They have a well-archived & catalogued Quad tape library, and they are certainly not opposed to licensing all of these albums out to DV (for the right price, that is...) so I think DV will stick with them until they have exhausted all available resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a number of great releases from EMI that are now under UMG. I'd certainly like to see them tap into those, and they came to UMG well after the fire.

There are a number of great releases from EMI that are now under UMG. I'd certainly like to see them tap into those, and they came to UMG well after the fire.

I'm not sure which albums you're referring to specifically, but a lot of the quad material that was originally released on the EMI label (take the Mandingo albums, for example) is now under control of Warners. It was one of the conditions the deal to sell EMI to Universal Music had to meet to satisfy US anti-trust regulations, they had to break up some of their recorded music division.

I'm not sure which albums you're referring to specifically, but a lot of the quad material that was originally released on the EMI label (take the Mandingo albums, for example) is now under control of Warners. It was one of the conditions the deal to sell EMI to Universal Music had to meet to satisfy US anti-trust regulations, they had to break up some of their recorded music division.

CORRECT. Warners purchased the EMI/Angel Classical catalogue including literally hundreds of classical QUAD titles but so far has only released a sparse amount as hybrid Stereo SACDs in Japan.

Last edited:
CORRECT. Warners purchased the EMI/Angel Classical catalogue including literally hundreds of classical QUAD titles but so far has only released a sparse amount as hybrid Stereo SACDs in Japan.
That would leave the popular titles under UMG. If they had been under Warner, Rhino could have their pick of the titles there. But if UMG owns the rights to the pop titles, they should do something with them.

Universal acquired Polygram and all associated labels (Mercury, Island etc) about 20 years ago. The Master Tapes for those labels at that time were located in the Polygram Tape Facility in Edison, NJ. I knew somebody that worked there back in the 1990's. All that Thin Lizzy stuff just being released now has been rotting away in there for 40 years.

Universal acquired Polygram and all associated labels (Mercury, Island etc) about 20 years ago. The Master Tapes for those labels at that time were located in the Polygram Tape Facility in Edison, NJ. I knew somebody that worked there back in the 1990's. All that Thin Lizzy stuff just being released now has been rotting away in there for 40 years.
Regardless it still sounds AMAZING!!!.......Everything about this set is AMAZING!!! Yes it would have been AWESOME if at least one of the DISCS in this set was MULTI-CHANNEL sound!!:love: :QQlove:51QQ

IMHO it should also get at least a nomination for a GRAMMY for "Box Set of the Year"

Back