3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's telling em, Tom: Fight :flame with:flame

Besides, ANY modifications made to these TVs by outside entities will most likely not be covered under LG's in house warranty! :yikes

FACT: OPPO Digital will NOT repair any of their units which have been modified for Region Free playback.

Modifications?...Professional calilbration is not a modification...it's fine tuning your TV to perform closer to ideal parameters of performance....that's why LG has installed this new feature to aid in calibration...

You don't think it's possible to make even a minor difference? Unless you have had a professional calibration of your tv...not only would these new TV's show improvement over your tv...you could probably improve your OWN tv with a GOOD calibration....as far as 3D being a big advantage...for most buyers it's not...I was excited about it at first and then it just became a novelty...that's why it's dead..

I find 3D exciting because for the first time in home video history, 3D can be viewed as it was intended to be viewed.

And the same can be said for the moribund state of hi res music, whether stereo, surround or digital downloads. To only a minute handful, it's special but to the majority of the population, it too is DEAD. So freakin' tired of hearing "What's THAT" when referring to SACD, DVD~A and/or BD~A......"new strands of virus?" :yikes

As for professional video calibration, sorry I misinterpreted your post, Clint, as, you're correct....it can be a huge plus....but I somewhat agree with Tom [seilerbird] that the current image, 3D and otherwise, on our 2016 3D LG OLED TVs IS PRETTY SPECTACULAR....especially those German produced Lichtmond 3D discs.......STARTLING!

Now if some genius could only come up with a Keurig coffee brewer that lasts more than 1-2 years [or WAY less]. Those $30 Mr Coffee Makers with the glass carafe 'seemingly' lasted forever. :banana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PcoMrwEa5o

Last edited:
You don't think it's possible to make even a minor difference? Unless you have had a professional calibration of your tv...not only would these new TV's show improvement over your tv...you could probably improve your OWN tv with a GOOD calibration....as far as 3D being a big advantage...for most buyers it's not...I was excited about it at first and then it just became a novelty...that's why it's dead..

Not even a teeny weeny minor improvement. It is just about perfect. There is nothing to improve. I attempted to calibrate it but gave up. Nothing I could do would improve it so I leave it as it comes out of the box. Yes 3D is dead and I don't care. It returns with regularity every ten years or so and then dies again. It will be back. Meanwhile I still have a 100 3D movies and a few hundred on Amazon I have yet to buy.

I have a friend of mine I have known since the 60s. He is an audio engineer. He cannot put on a record, disc, tape, movie or piece of software without going immediately to the control panel and adjusting everything there is to 'improve' the sound or picture. And the funny thing is he never fixes anything. It never sounds or looks better, just different. I learned a long time ago not to mess with the controls. Modern movies and music for the most part are engineered pretty darn good. If I change anything to make it look better then I screw up what the next one looks like.

I have been an audiophile and a videophile for well over 50 years. I have had nothing but outrageous audio and video systems most of my life. I watch and listen to my system every day. One thing that bugs me is that other audio and video fans will spend a lot of money on a component and then rave about how it made a huge improvement when in reality there was no improvement. But they have to lie to themselves to justify that outlay of money.

Back in the 80s I had a 3 car garage I turned into my sound room. Big screen TV, a pair of Boston Acoustics A400s, and all the rest of the outrageous stuff to make a sensational sound and video system. I spent a lot of time on the acoustics in the room. Thick carpet, drop ceiling with acoustic tiles, etc. One day several of my audiophile friends came over to hear some new thing I had just got. After listening to one song (let me repeat that after one song) one of my friends announced his CD player sounded better than my CD player. Now that is just about as stupid a conclusion as you could arrive at. Ever since that day I stopped listening to people telling me how to improve my system. It is perfect. If you are ever in Orlando stop by and I will dazzle you. But meanwhile do not bother to try and tell me how to improve my system. I will only laugh at you.

Not even a teeny weeny minor improvement. It is just about perfect. There is nothing to improve. I attempted to calibrate it but gave up. Nothing I could do would improve it so I leave it as it comes out of the box. Yes 3D is dead and I don't care. It returns with regularity every ten years or so and then dies again. It will be back. Meanwhile I still have a 100 3D movies and a few hundred on Amazon I have yet to buy.

I have a friend of mine I have known since the 60s. He is an audio engineer. He cannot put on a record, disc, tape, movie or piece of software without going immediately to the control panel and adjusting everything there is to 'improve' the sound or picture. And the funny thing is he never fixes anything. It never sounds or looks better, just different. I learned a long time ago not to mess with the controls. Modern movies and music for the most part are engineered pretty darn good. If I change anything to make it look better then I screw up what the next one looks like.

I have been an audiophile and a videophile for well over 50 years. I have had nothing but outrageous audio and video systems most of my life. I watch and listen to my system every day. One thing that bugs me is that other audio and video fans will spend a lot of money on a component and then rave about how it made a huge improvement when in reality there was no improvement. But they have to lie to themselves to justify that outlay of money.

Back in the 80s I had a 3 car garage I turned into my sound room. Big screen TV, a pair of Boston Acoustics A400s, and all the rest of the outrageous stuff to make a sensational sound and video system. I spent a lot of time on the acoustics in the room. Thick carpet, drop ceiling with acoustic tiles, etc. One day several of my audiophile friends came over to hear some new thing I had just got. After listening to one song (let me repeat that after one song) one of my friends announced his CD player sounded better than my CD player. Now that is just about as stupid a conclusion as you could arrive at. Ever since that day I stopped listening to people telling me how to improve my system. It is perfect. If you are ever in Orlando stop by and I will dazzle you. But meanwhile do not bother to try and tell me how to improve my system. I will only laugh at you.

One thing you have to remember in video and audio...when it comes to individual preferences...they vary from person to person...when you say you attempted to "calibrate" your tv...you didn't...because you couldn't without the proper equipment and training..changing a few controls isn't a calibration...and calibrators are like audio engineers...some are better than others...you have your Steven Wilson types...and then you have the idiots from Best Buy's Geek Squad who charge people for a calibration without even using any of the normal equipment required to do a proper calibration....a skilled calibrator will come to your home and not only use the proper equipment...but he will tailor the calibration to your specific viewing environment...if you have a viewing area with a lot of natural light coming in...he can adjust the display to compensate for that...he can set up day and night modes...when displays come from the factory they have general settings to try and accommodate the majority of viewers...it's a numbers game...they can't set up a display to suit everybody's viewing environments...

I'm glad you enjoy your display...but saying that people can't notice an improvement in equipment is...to coin one of your expressions...outrageous...many people think their system is "great"...maybe it's great to them but it certainly isn't "great" in any real measurable sense...I only posted that article about the new LG line as information that I thought might be interesting to some...not to enter a debate about your system:)

Well first off I would not pay to have my system calibrated by a 'professional' since that would be pointless. If there were problems with my display I would do it but there are no problems to fix so there is no need for calibration. It would be like Joe Satriani going to a hair stylist. What is the point? You cannot improve something that does not have a problem.

Well first off I would not pay to have my system calibrated by a 'professional' since that would be pointless. If there were problems with my display I would do it but there are no problems to fix so there is no need for calibration. It would be like Joe Satriani going to a hair stylist. What is the point? You cannot improve something that does not have a problem.

The LG OLEDs are factory calibrated upon receipt. After approximately a two week break in [yeah, I'm one of those who do believe in a break in period for components and even cables], the picture WAS and IS awesome.

Video Projectors are a different story. They do benefit from calibration and more importantly choosing a projection screen with the proper GAIN recommended by the projector manufacturer.

As we speak, MORE 3D movies are being delivered daily from faraway places like the UK at prices cheaper than a RBCD.

3D isn't dead........it's rather the populace that chooses to view the world as one dimension commonly referred to as suffering from Myopia Nervosa
.:ugham:

I noticed no difference after two weeks. It looked awesome right from the very start.

I noticed no difference after two weeks. It looked awesome right from the very start.

Ever hear of power of suggestion, Tom?

I always notice that components, even cables, need a break in period and achieve peak performance after weeks of being broken in. Even NEW cars usually require at least 3000 miles of driving before they're fully broken in. Not a myth, IMO.

I do not understand how people whom have never seen or heard my system can have suggestions on how to improve my system. Everyone please stop worrying about my system. I am happy with it and that is all that matters.

The trend continues HERE

It was only a matter of time.

But for the cause, I JUST ordered another 8 BD~Vs [6 of them steelbook editions/1 3D BD~V steelbook edition] from Zavvi, UK [the prices, IMO, are DIRT cheap] including steelbook editions of This Is Spinal Tap, Rocketeer, Source Code and Robocop @ £6 each :)

Totally understandable since in my mind I knew 4K wouldn't fly and based on a lot of the UHD 4K reviews, more than half are upsampled 2K discs......sound familiar DD* 5.1 haters?

Since finally signing up for NETFLIX, which I've been 'uncontrollably' binge watching for the past month, the next logical step in broadcasting would be to go FULL 4K ACROSS THE BOARD which would take up an exceptional amount of bandwidth....and surely dissuade anyone [even me?] from purchasing physical discs.

[*Debbie Downer 5.1]

The trend continues HERE
Duhhhh.... Of course physical discs are dropping while streaming is rising. Physical discs don't last forever and there is no trade in value when upgrading to a better format. They have been charging outrageous prices way too long. The article says this:

"Hollywood cannot continue to ignore the trend and Variety believes that it will “renew pressure on studios to adjust theatrical distribution windows, particularly since the 2017 box office was down from the year before and saw fewer moviegoers”."

The price of admission to a movie theater is stupidly expensive. Popcorn and a coke is $10. Last time I went to a movie theater I vowed it would be my last. Not being able to rewind, pause and stop along with no subtitles and noisy people sitting next to me makes it a horrible experience. At home I can even get stoned while watching a movie.

Duhhhh.... Of course physical discs are dropping while streaming is rising. Physical discs don't last forever and there is no trade in value when upgrading to a better format. They have been charging outrageous prices way too long. The article says this:

"Hollywood cannot continue to ignore the trend and Variety believes that it will “renew pressure on studios to adjust theatrical distribution windows, particularly since the 2017 box office was down from the year before and saw fewer moviegoers”."

The price of admission to a movie theater is stupidly expensive. Popcorn and a coke is $10. Last time I went to a movie theater I vowed it would be my last. Not being able to rewind, pause and stop along with no subtitles and noisy people sitting next to me makes it a horrible experience. At home I can even get stoned while watching a movie.

A man after my own heart.

Yes, going to the movies ain't cheap and if you bring a date you can afford to purchase 5 steelbook BD~Vs [some 3D] from Zavvi for THAT price and enjoy them at your leisure while snacking on el cheapo munchies.:banana: [the dancin' doobie]

Another GREAT 3D Limited Edition BD~V at a GREAT PRICE: https://www.amazon.com/Top-Gun-3D-B...65953&creativeASIN=B00A85EMVK&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Still a lot of fun and that soundtrack......:banana:

In the news lately, with the new trade laws, components, appliances, etc. manufactured in China and South Korea [LG/Samsung] will be subject to a 20% increase in import tariffs.:yikes

BTW, even the OPPOs are assembled in China.

I just finished watching Monsters University in 3D for the first time and I am blown away. This is one of the best 3D movies I have seen so far. There is nothing poking out at you but every scene is very deep. A very well done movie both visually and sonically (7.1). I am a huge fan of Billy Crystal. Back in the 70s he was Jody on Soap and together with Jessica they had the funniest scene I have ever seen on TV. Jody is Jessica's gay son and is trying to explain it to his mom. He starts mentioning some of the historically famous people who were gay and mentions Plato. Jessica's eyes get huge and she says incredulously "Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?". I paid under $10 used on Amazon and it is almost perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Uni...4/ref=tmm_trd_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Just received this 3D BD~V from ZAVVI in the UK. Region FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-runner-2049-3d-includes-2d-version/11566758.html :banana:

Also available in a limited edition STEELBOOK version [3D/2D: Region Free]: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade...rsion-limited-edition-steelbook/11566759.html

The US domestic version is available at AmazonUS for $50 + s/h: https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner...XH79/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518309537&sr=8-1

Blade Runner 2049

Had wanted to see this in theaters, so will be curious to hear your review of this title.

For vintage 3-D film buffs, THE MAZE will be out in April - restored from the original camera negatives!
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze

Had wanted to see this in theaters, so will be curious to hear your review of this title.

For vintage 3-D film buffs, THE MAZE will be out in April - restored from the original camera negatives!
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze

If you're expecting anything akin to the first Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner I'm afraid there will be major disappointment.

Blade Runner 2049 is a post conversion 3D affair and while there's depth in every scene, nothing screams this movie should've been released in 3D.*

While the acting is competent the script is, IMO, lacking and in no way embraces the spirit of the original. And sadly, none of the characters are in any way memorable [actually rather bland] and although Edward James Olmos makes a brief cameo and Harrison Ford is prominently featured in the film's second half, all I can add is that someone really should've done their homework when considering such a lackluster remake based on a bona fide cult classic.

Would love to see a post 3D conversion of the original. Now, that would be special.

*LG OLED 3D monitor/OPPO UDP 205 utilizing a Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cable inserted directly into the LG Monitor

Back