3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought it was time to upgrade my OPPO 105 player to a Multi Region [FINALLY] UHD 205. I've always wanted a multi region player as I've been buying a LOT of steelbook edition 3D/2D BD~Vs from UK's Zavvi and when they have their tremendous sales, a lot of their offerings are region B. For instance, this month, they're offering FIVE LIMITED EDITION Steelbook BD~Vs for £30.

When I do receive it, I'll let in break in and then offer a mini review.

OLED is a semi-conductor technology (current flow through an organic material causes light to be emitted) so won't exhibit the image retention problem that could occur with CRT and Plasma (which is very similar technically to the old CRT, i.e. reliant on high energy electrons striking aphosphor). Brightness & colour balance will degrade slowly with time.
Well there are some people who are claiming the new Pixel phones are suffering burn in. I bought one and there is no burn in so far. Now I have an OLED TV and phone. :cool:

I have been having a bummer of a week. My Onkyo receiver stopped working properly. It will not display my Blu ray player on the TV and the TV does not play through the surround system. I figured out that all the cables were ok and the TV was fine so I ordered a new Sony surround receiver. It is only $300 and it would probably cost that much to get the Onkyo fixed. They want $100 just to look at it. The new one does not arrive until next Monday. Meanwhile no 3D and no surround. It is like going back to the 20th century. I love my system even more now.

If you are looking for the worst 3D movie of all time look no further than Comin' At Ya. This is obvious during the opening credits and the opening credits are the best part of the movie. My former worst 3D movie of all time was The Mask. Comin' At Ya makes The Mask look like Citizen Kane. How bad is it? Let me start by saying the worst all time 3D effect is in this movie. The actually take an infant baby girl and shove her pussy into the lens. I could not make this up. The cameras have lenses that cannot focus closer that about 18 inches and every 3D effect is massively out of focus. There is a scene where there is a bat flying around scaring all the whores and a kindergarten class could have produced more realistic fake bats. They try way to hard to jam every thing in the world into the lens. This movie tries way too hard to be a 3D movie. This is not a question of it being so bad it is good, it is a question of it being so bad it is really bad. Everything. The acting, the story, the production, the whole nine yards. No redeeming qualities to this movie. It is such a disaster it should have been delivered in a FEMA truck.

If you are looking for the worst 3D movie of all time look no further than Comin' At Ya. This is obvious during the opening credits and the opening credits are the best part of the movie. My former worst 3D movie of all time was The Mask. Comin' At Ya makes The Mask look like Citizen Kane. How bad is it? Let me start by saying the worst all time 3D effect is in this movie. The actually take an infant baby girl and shove her pussy into the lens. I could not make this up. The cameras have lenses that cannot focus closer that about 18 inches and every 3D effect is massively out of focus. There is a scene where there is a bat flying around scaring all the whores and a kindergarten class could have produced more realistic fake bats. They try way to hard to jam every thing in the world into the lens. This movie tries way too hard to be a 3D movie. This is not a question of it being so bad it is good, it is a question of it being so bad it is really bad. Everything. The acting, the story, the production, the whole nine yards. No redeeming qualities to this movie. It is such a disaster it should have been delivered in a FEMA truck.

Not that I would buy it, but Blu~Ray.com actually gave it a decent review. And ironically, it was SOURCED from a 4K master: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Comin-at-Ya-3D-Blu-ray/66415/#Review

For YOUR consideration and reduced to a very NICE PRICE: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-3D-Blu-ray/142460/#Review

Not that I would buy it, but Blu~Ray.com actually gave it a decent review. And ironically, it was SOURCED from a 4K master: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Comin-at-Ya-3D-Blu-ray/66415/#Review

For YOUR consideration and reduced to a very NICE PRICE: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-3D-Blu-ray/142460/#Review

There are 30 five star review on Amazon out of 98 reviews. Some people are easily amused. The 4k master is meaningless. There are dust and dirt specks all over the print. And since all the 3D effects are not in focus it really doesn't matter that it was a 4k master.

I have been having a bummer of a week. My Onkyo receiver stopped working properly. It will not display my Blu ray player on the TV and the TV does not play through the surround system. I figured out that all the cables were ok and the TV was fine so I ordered a new Sony surround receiver. It is only $300 and it would probably cost that much to get the Onkyo fixed. They want $100 just to look at it. The new one does not arrive until next Monday. Meanwhile no 3D and no surround. It is like going back to the 20th century. I love my system even more now.

I'm using a 14 year old Onkyo with lovely 100 watts x 6 chans I think, has analog in for surround and no hdmi - but I love the sound and everything about it. I don't use it heavily and it's not showing age in any way. But I wonder if it will just decide to quit on me one day.

I'm using a 14 year old Onkyo with lovely 100 watts x 6 chans I think, has analog in for surround and no hdmi - but I love the sound and everything about it. I don't use it heavily and it's not showing age in any way. But I wonder if it will just decide to quit on me one day.

Having consulted the Oracles :teleport: your 14 year old analogue Onkyo Receiver will last another........wait a minute.......it's not clear..........what are you telling me mighty Oracle...........Tell Mr Surf City to get a new HDMI Atmos receiver and this way he won't have to fret anymore.:yikes

when I got my Pioneer SC-97 for atmos it would only do 9.2 channels max in any configuration, meaning the most atmos I could get out of it was 7.1.2, not 7.1.4

so I kept my old onkyo with multi-channel inputs and routed the front 2 speakers from the Pioneer pre-outs to the onkyo multi-channel inputs and now I can play 7.1.4 atmos and keep the wonderful sound of my old onkyo for the fronts, which I bi-amped btw so there is less load on the pioneer and the onkyo is now actually just using 4 amp channels just for the 2 front speakers so less load on the onkyo than before also

I presently have an older Onkyo receiver [6-8 years old] in my bedroom which does support HDMI but will not pass 3D nor 4K. I will probably upgrade with a Dolby Atmos capable one at some point which WILL make life a little easier since I'm outputting one HDMI cable directly to my LG OLED 3D TV and the other into the ONKYO for audio only.

With the technology changing so rapidly [Atmos, Auro 3D, DTS:X, etc.] it really gets confusing [and expensive]. But I will say that I've never had a problem whatsoever with my present Onkyo or it's predecessor which is currently sitting in mothballs.....but is still, AFAIK, operational.

in a sense you can basically use each old receiver you have as a mono-block amp for a new atmos setup

in a sense you can basically use each old receiver you have as a mono-block amp for a new atmos setup

But none of them will support Auro 3D, Atmos or DTS:X which are specific encodes which rely on exacting decodes. I'd rather not go that route, but thanks for the recommendation anyway. Besides, not enough space to juggle more than one Onkyo.

But none of them will support Auro 3D, Atmos or DTS:X which are specific encodes which rely on exacting decodes. I'd rather not go that route, but thanks for the recommendation anyway. Besides, not enough space to juggle more than one Onkyo.

I was saying if you get a new atmos receiver, like my Pioneer sc-97 for example, you can use both old onkyo receivers as mono-block amps for 2 more speakers because a lot of the newer atmos receivers will only be 9.2 channel and not 11.2 so you need additional amps for the 2 channels that are missing

I was really just saying that there's no reason to disgard old receivers when upgrading to atmos, they can still be used and will work more efficiently than before

Well the problem I was having (no sound from TV to receiver) turned out to be the fault of the Onkyo. I ordered a new Sony STRDH770 receiver. It cost me $299 brand new, which is what I paid for the reconditioned Onkyo two years ago. I set it up and decided to let the automatic surround calibration do it's thing. I have owned about six different surround receivers in my life from as many different manufacturers. This is my first Sony. I was completely blown away. All the other automatic calibrations I have used in the past sucked and I always had to go in and manually set the levels. The Sony was perfect, didn't have to touch a thing. Then I went in and looked at the settings and it got all the speaker distances correct, something no other receiver was able to do. Overall I am totally blown away by this receiver. 145 watts per channel and it sound dynamite, and I am a pick clown. It gets very loud with no distortion. When I bought it two weeks ago I paid $299. Today on Amazon it is $349. I love everything about this unit and I can't believe I only paid $299. My first stereo system cost more than that in 1967 and I had to assemble it myself (Dynaco) and obviously it did not do 10% of what the Sony does. It is a 7.2 and so it is not an Atmos unit but I am not interested in Atmos. It has never impressed me in movie theaters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV7SO8U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cnet is running an article claiming that now is the time to buy LG OLED TVs since the price has never been lower. They say the 55-inch OLED55B7A is $1,500. Wow, I paid $150 more for my 55" and it does 3D. I got a bargain.:cool:

Cnet is running an article claiming that now is the time to buy LG OLED TVs since the price has never been lower. They say the 55-inch OLED55B7A is $1,500. Wow, I paid $150 more for my 55" and it does 3D. I got a bargain.:cool:

I paid $1400 for the 55" 2015 model, so not even best prices ever - and I believe the 9100 went as low as 1200 before going out of stock.

I have been having a bummer of a week. My Onkyo receiver stopped working properly.

My experience with two different Onkyos is that the price-to-feature ratio is excellent, but something always goes wrong. Both of mine needed new HDMI boards and now the radio in the old one no longer works.

As for "Comin' at Ya!", I couldn't last long enough to have an opinion of the movie because something about the 3D on that one was physically painful, something that's never been an issue before. Not that it matters now since my 3D TV died and got "replaced" by an illuminated toilet.

My experience with two different Onkyos is that the price-to-feature ratio is excellent, but something always goes wrong. Both of mine needed new HDMI boards and now the radio in the old one no longer works.

Might be a good time to upgrade to an atmos receiver.

you could then use both old onkyo receivers as mono-block amps for 2 more speakers because a lot of the newer atmos receivers will only be 9.2 channel and not 11.2 so you need additional amps for the 2 channels that are missing

there's no reason to disgard old receivers when upgrading to atmos, they can still be used and will work more efficiently than before and most old onkyo's will be Class AB receivers (analog amps) and have a more "natural" sound while some of the new atmos receivers, like my Pioneer, have digital amps (Class C) so you get the best of both worlds (digital + analog)

Might be a good time to upgrade to an atmos receiver.

If something breaks to the point where I can't or won't repair it, I'm sure that's what I'll do. But for now I'm retired and trying to be cheap while enjoying all the stuff I accumulated while working. :)

Back