3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, 3D was so-so until I got a LG OLED, 55C6. They finally got it it good only to discontinue. Has anyone hear got the AIX Records 3D recordings? After getting the OLED I re-watched the AIX recordings and they were fantastic.

Not 3D information...but since this is TV related...I wonder how many people knew about THIS

MOST unfortunately, the lack of Dolby Atmos or DTS:X on new UHD 4K releases is the 'least' of early 4K adopter's concerns. I would state a majority of 4K releases are sourced from 2K intermediates, even when 4K or higher resolution masters are available. Blu Ray.com, especially with Black Friday sales initiatives, are 'blowing' out a number of UHD 4K titles for as low as $9.99 [list price: $39~$49].

Ironically, MOST of the 2K BD~V titles are garnering better video scores than their UHD 4K counterparts with ANY upticks in quality in the 4K discs coming from utilizing 'HDR' processing/Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos/DTS:X as the audio codecs.

And sort of back on topic [3D IS DEAD]: If you want to be privy to the latest 3D titles, you have to turn to Best Buy or UK's Zavvi which is offering 3D/2D 'steelbook' LIMITED editions, albeit at premium prices. And by LIMITED, if you don't buy when they're announced.......they'll be gone in a nanosecond!:(

Addenda: For those bargain hunters who have Multi Region BD Players, UK's Zavvi is having somewhat of a blowout sale with 5 titles, including about 30 3D titles [some rare] for £30 + minimal shipping to the States: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/offers/5-for-30.list. If you read the 'descriptions' offered on each title, some are Region Free.

Last edited:
I have found the worst 3D movie of all time, The Mask.

I cannot believe this movie actually exists. The first problem I had was not the movies fault, it was a defective HDMI cable but I did not know it was defective at the time. I put the movie on in 3D and instead of it being in 3D it was showing both images, one on top of another. There was no 3D in the 2D version so I put it away and decided to deal with it later. Then the HDMI cable stopped working so I replaced it and then tried to watch it again and this time the 3D worked.

I never intentionally watch ‘bad’ movies that are suppose to be so bad they are good (Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, etc) so I don’t know how bad this movie really is but it is definitely the second worst movie I have watched from beginning to end. It starts being bad just because it has three strikes against it, no subtitles, very dark black and white (film noir) and a mono soundtrack.

The movie originally was a 2D movie with three five minute sections in 3D. Those three sections occur when the actor (and I use that word only because he is technically an actor) puts on the mask and they tell you “Put on the mask” a few times. Originally it was shot in anaglyph and was converted to modern 3D. The conversion is weird. The 2D sections are now in 3D but it is the entire frame that is projected to look like it is about a foot in front of the monitor. So this relieves you of the job of putting the glasses on and off. It sort of looks like they were trying for a fake 3D and failed.

The 2D sections suffer from bad acting, bad script and bad directing. It looks like they blew the entire budget on zombie make up and set decorations for the 3D sections. The 3D sections are suppose to be scary and I guess if you are 7 years old they would be scary but to this adult they just look stupid. The scariest part of the whole movie is the wallpaper designs in the 2D sections and Pam’s eyebrows that look like they were stolen from a Werewolf. I don’t know if this movie was released or if it escaped.

The 3D sections suffer from the fact they did not understand the number one rule of 3D movie making. You get a decent 3D effect with something that is not 100% on the screen. Once an object touches the edge it kills the 3D effect. This happens with just about every 3D effect.

They decided to get the most boring person in the world to do the commentary track, Jason Pichonsky. He was reading a script and for some reason he thinks this movie is right up there with Citizen Kane.

One of the extras makes the whole purchase worthwhile. A seven minute 3D short by Brian May of Queen called One Night in Hell. It is a combination stop motion/live action/animated movie that is just beyond description.
the mask.jpg

I cannot believe this movie actually exists. The first problem I had was not the movies fault, it was a defective HDMI cable but I did not know it was defective at the time. I put the movie on in 3D and instead of it being in 3D it was showing both images, one on top of another. There was no 3D in the 2D version so I put it away and decided to deal with it later. Then the HDMI cable stopped working so I replaced it and then tried to watch it again and this time the 3D worked.

I never intentionally watch ‘bad’ movies that are suppose to be so bad they are good (Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, etc) so I don’t know how bad this movie really is but it is definitely the second worst movie I have watched from beginning to end. It starts being bad just because it has three strikes against it, no subtitles, very dark black and white (film noir) and a mono soundtrack.

The movie originally was a 2D movie with three five minute sections in 3D. Those three sections occur when the actor (and I use that word only because he is technically an actor) puts on the mask and they tell you “Put on the mask” a few times. Originally it was shot in anaglyph and was converted to modern 3D. The conversion is weird. The 2D sections are now in 3D but it is the entire frame that is projected to look like it is about a foot in front of the monitor. So this relieves you of the job of putting the glasses on and off. It sort of looks like they were trying for a fake 3D and failed.

The 2D sections suffer from bad acting, bad script and bad directing. It looks like they blew the entire budget on zombie make up and set decorations for the 3D sections. The 3D sections are suppose to be scary and I guess if you are 7 years old they would be scary but to this adult they just look stupid. The scariest part of the whole movie is the wallpaper designs in the 2D sections and Pam’s eyebrows that look like they were stolen from a Werewolf. I don’t know if this movie was released or if it escaped.

The 3D sections suffer from the fact they did not understand the number one rule of 3D movie making. You get a decent 3D effect with something that is not 100% on the screen. Once an object touches the edge it kills the 3D effect. This happens with just about every 3D effect.

They decided to get the most boring person in the world to do the commentary track, Jason Pichonsky. He was reading a script and for some reason he thinks this movie is right up there with Citizen Kane.

One of the extras makes the whole purchase worthwhile. A seven minute 3D short by Brian May of Queen called One Night in Hell. It is a combination stop motion/live action/animated movie that is just beyond description.
View attachment 31335

Seilerbird, I remember seeing this TURKEY years ago as a youth in those "Quarter" marathon Saturdays which would include a double feature, 10 cartoons and a newsreel.

What's really weird is the 'decent' review this KINO remastered 3D flick received from Blu~Ray.com and the soundtrack IS in *5.1???????? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Mask-3D-Blu-ray/139193/#Review :yikes

*The BD~V cover boasts Electro~Magic Sound.....A NEW dimension in Stereophonics

Seilerbird, I remember seeing this TURKEY years ago as a youth in those "Quarter" marathon Saturdays which would include a double feature, 10 cartoons and a newsreel.

What's really weird is the 'decent' review this KINO remastered 3D flick received from Blu~Ray.com and the soundtrack IS in *5.1???????? http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Mask-3D-Blu-ray/139193/#Review :yikes

*The BD~V cover boasts Electro~Magic Sound.....A NEW dimension in Stereophonics

It blows my mind that 24 out of 47 user reviews on Amazon give it five stars. The soundtrack is in 5.1. It was originally recorded in 3 channel and most of the movie is in 3 channel but the three 3D sections are definitely in surround with things moving around the room. But it is such poor quality I didn't even bother to review it.

It blows my mind that 24 out of 47 user reviews on Amazon give it five stars. The soundtrack is in 5.1. It was originally recorded in 3 channel and most of the movie is in 3 channel but the three 3D sections are definitely in surround with things moving around the room. But it is such poor quality I didn't even bother to review it.

There's a LOT of 3D Turkeys out there [the Stewardesses........:yikes] but so many 3D nuts are so desperate for 3D content that they sometimes lose their senses when rating so BAD it's BAD fare.

BTW, did you ever find your 3D 'Dream' camera?

I've been desperately searching for a 3D Projector and I found one.......but am too embarrassed to tell it what it's going to cost [and it's 5K with NO bulb.....Laser lit and handmade in Norway]. I have NO dependents and have worked like a dog all my life and my feeling is GO FOR IT! Won't have it until Spring of 2018.

I haven't been looking. I am retired and living on a fixed income and I have a bunch of other stuff higher on my list. I did just buy a new Pixel 2XL and it has the very best camera (not 3D) on a cell phone currently. The photos are amazing.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2

Wow, seilerbird....razor sharp and the color is pretty astounding. Can't believe it came from a phone. Love the cat. I'm a cat person as well only mine's about 7 pounds but eats like a horse.

I actually watched a 4K movie tonight. Ex Machina with Alicia Vikander and Domhall Gleeson. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ex-Machina-4K-Blu-ray/176583/#Review Pretty unbelievable. Still can't process that the SONY X800 player recently dropped to $149 [I paid $299 and received 2 free 4K videos]. It's actually an excellent SACD player, as well. Amazon has been blowing out a number of 4K titles this past week for as little as $9.99.....but truth be told, the selection is pretty depressing.

I'm still trying to process the fact that QQforum will cease on New Years Eve. Can't seem to get rid of this pit in my stomach. Life goes on but without QQ the one bright spot in my daily routine won't be the same for awhile. As far as I'm concerned, there is NO replacement for the wealth of knowledge contained within this forum.

Wow, seilerbird....razor sharp and the color is pretty astounding. Can't believe it came from a phone. Love the cat. I'm a cat person as well only mine's about 7 pounds but eats like a horse.

I actually watched a 4K movie tonight. Ex Machina with Alicia Vikander and Domhall Gleeson. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ex-Machina-4K-Blu-ray/176583/#Review Pretty unbelievable. Still can't process that the SONY X800 player recently dropped to $149 [I paid $299 and received 2 free 4K videos]. It's actually an excellent SACD player, as well. Amazon has been blowing out a number of 4K titles this past week for as little as $9.99.....but truth be told, the selection is pretty depressing.

I'm still trying to process the fact that QQforum will cease on New Years Eve. Can't seem to get rid of this pit in my stomach. Life goes on but without QQ the one bright spot in my daily routine won't be the same for awhile. As far as I'm concerned, there is NO replacement for the wealth of knowledge contained within this forum.

Thank you 4ew. The biggest reason I bought this phone is due to the fact that it has the highest rated DxOmark score ever and every web site reviewing it just raved about the camera. The other big reason was so I could used Project Fi as my wireless provider.

I stopped buying 4k titles a long time ago. I can't see a difference between 4k content and 1080 upscaled so they are just not worth the extra dollars to me.

However I was unaware of the Sony X800. I looked it up on Amazon and promptly ordered one. I found one for $129 refurbished (don't cry 4ew). I have been very unhappy with both my Oppo 970 SACD player and my Philips 7501 4k player. Having both in one unit will be a huge plus for me. I will sell the old units on Amazon and it will pay for the Sony. I just bought a Sony receiver and I am extremely impressed with it.

Thank you 4ew. The biggest reason I bought this phone is due to the fact that it has the highest rated DxOmark score ever and every web site reviewing it just raved about the camera. The other big reason was so I could used Project Fi as my wireless provider.

I stopped buying 4k titles a long time ago. I can't see a difference between 4k content and 1080 upscaled so they are just not worth the extra dollars to me.

However I was unaware of the Sony X800. I looked it up on Amazon and promptly ordered one. I found one for $129 refurbished (don't cry 4ew). I have been very unhappy with both my Oppo 970 SACD player and my Philips 7501 4k player. Having both in one unit will be a huge plus for me. I will sell the old units on Amazon and it will pay for the Sony. I just bought a Sony receiver and I am extremely impressed with it.

I think you'll be very happy with the Sony X800....Great deal and it has a warranty so should anything go wrong.......And it is the ONLY SONY player to play DVD~A.

I only try to buy 4K BD~Vs which were mastered from true 4K or higher sources. When I do get that projector it will most definitely make a difference. As I've said all along...On the LG OLED TV, even 3D 1080p looks like 4K...especially those stunning Lichtmond German 3D BD~Vs.

I will say that Ex Machina which was sourced from 4K looked pretty impressive.......better than the 1080p BD~V.

I think you'll be very happy with the Sony X800....Great deal and it has a warranty so should anything go wrong.......And it is the ONLY SONY player to play DVD~A.

I only try to buy 4K BD~Vs which were mastered from true 4K or higher sources. When I do get that projector it will most definitely make a difference. As I've said all along...On the LG OLED TV, even 3D 1080p looks like 4K...especially those stunning Lichtmond German 3D BD~Vs.

I will say that Ex Machina which was sourced from 4K looked pretty impressive.......better than the 1080p BD~V.

I have a friend I have known since high school who is an audio engineer and absolutely a specification whore. If it has better specs then it is the better looking or sounding unit. But he came to his conclusions without actually looking at or listening to the units he was comparing. I am just the opposite. I do not care what the specs say, I want to see and hear the results.

Seilerbird, I'm sorry this one was such a disappoint for you. I remember seeing this numerous times in the 80s, both on TV and on film where the booming voice "Put the Mask on Now" prompted viewers to put on their mystic masks as the main lead put on his own cursed headmask that was the start of strange psychedelic visions in 3-Dimensions. We were very fortunate that (a) we had the original left and right 35mm footage of the dream sequences so a superior 3D bluray and 3D DCP could be made that did not have to anaglyphic (red/cyan), as all previous version had been and (b) we worked with the Toronto International Film Festival on this restoration, as it was the first 3-D feature made in Toronto (1961) that had a worldwide release. Other reviewers have been more forgiving, but I certainly understand it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Technically the only item I would suggest you double check is your 3-D convergence settings. The 2-D sections *are* encoded to be 2-D flat .. as in at the stereo window in 3-D z-space. If you are seeing otherwise, then either a setting in your 3D bluray or 3DTV is set where it is altered. I know some 3-D bluray players have settings that can do that, and a number of projectors and 3DTVs can allow one to really set the image out of whack from a stereoscopic perspective.

Greg Kintz
Technical Director
3-D Film Archive

View attachment 31335

today only (Cyber Monday) target dot com has the Sony X800 for $149.99 - 15% discount if you buy online.

Free shipping or free store pickup

https://www.target.com/p/A-52167191

DVD-A
SACD
2 HDMI
Metal Frame
Wi-Fi

Seilerbird, I'm sorry this one was such a disappoint for you. I remember seeing this numerous times in the 80s, both on TV and on film where the booming voice "Put the Mask on Now" prompted viewers to put on their mystic masks as the main lead put on his own cursed headmask that was the start of strange psychedelic visions in 3-Dimensions. We were very fortunate that (a) we had the original left and right 35mm footage of the dream sequences so a superior 3D bluray and 3D DCP could be made that did not have to anaglyphic (red/cyan), as all previous version had been and (b) we worked with the Toronto International Film Festival on this restoration, as it was the first 3-D feature made in Toronto (1961) that had a worldwide release. Other reviewers have been more forgiving, but I certainly understand it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Technically the only item I would suggest you double check is your 3-D convergence settings. The 2-D sections *are* encoded to be 2-D flat .. as in at the stereo window in 3-D z-space. If you are seeing otherwise, then either a setting in your 3D bluray or 3DTV is set where it is altered. I know some 3-D bluray players have settings that can do that, and a number of projectors and 3DTVs can allow one to really set the image out of whack from a stereoscopic perspective.

Greg Kintz
Technical Director
3-D Film Archive
Thank you for your response Greg and I applaud your efforts to bring old 3D to the marketplace. I know I am in the minority here since it rates four stars on almost 50 user reviews on Amazon. I can assure you that my 3D convergence settings are set properly. My TV is less than a year old and I own over 80 3D movies, all of which display beautifully.

today only (Cyber Monday) target dot com has the Sony X800 for $149.99 - 15% discount if you buy online.

DVD-A
SACD
2 HDMI
Metal Frame
Wi-Fi

WOW! $127.49 is a simply stupendous deal, brand new w/free shipping [probably local sales tax though] for this little powerhouse. I paid $299 for it last year [with 2 free UHD 4K movies which you can buy for $15 each today]. What can you lose? It's a great deal.

Thanks for the info everyone. I bought right away and got it with free shipping, only $11.16 tax, total $138.65. And it plays DVD-A. I'm waiting for right 4K set before I go down that road. Thanks.

DVD-A
SACD
2 HDMI
Metal Frame
Wi-Fi

I love this movie. What shortcomings it may have are more than offset for me by the utter insanity of the 3D segments. I really appreciate the work you did on it and on other titles and am heartbroken that my 3D TV died with no ability to replace it.

Thanks for the info on the Target sale for the Sony X800

I would be jumping on it but I just purchased thru amazon a refurbished one for $129 plus shipping of $9 plus tax.....
It already shipped or I would cancel it and go with Target.

Back