3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems Hollywood and their sister companies, the major three record conglomerates don't want to part with their MASTERS.....PERIOD.

Instead they have given us a lot of 2K mastered UHD 4K [talk about an oxymoron] releases without Dolby Vision just as their sister music companies are giving us LOSSY 5.1 codecs with their newer, increasingly pricier releases.

And if you read the comments at the bottom of the article which Clint kindly provided, VUDU 4K streaming fails to equal even the 2K mastered UHD 4K discs.

So, what gives?

I'm sure a LOT of posters at QQ are tired of my chronic whining about LOSSY anything....but it seems highly plausible that the PLOT which is unfolding is that once all these Media whores DO give us the SUPREME Masters....then really, what's left for them? Which is why I call these remasters, especially the lossy ones, FACSIMILES of the originals....because TRULY and HONESTLY, that's REALLY WHAT THEY ARE.

The name of the song evades me but the lyrics go something like "You LEARN to SETTLE for what you get. GET It?

I think the overall feeling is that these companies...both audio and video...just don't want to deal with discs anymore...streaming and downloads is what they want..

It seems Hollywood and their sister companies, the major three record conglomerates don't want to part with their MASTERS.....PERIOD.

Instead they have given us a lot of 2K mastered UHD 4K [talk about an oxymoron] releases without Dolby Vision just as their sister music companies are giving us LOSSY 5.1 codecs with their newer, increasingly pricier releases.

And if you read the comments at the bottom of the article which Clint kindly provided, VUDU 4K streaming fails to equal even the 2K mastered UHD 4K discs.

So, what gives?

I'm sure a LOT of posters at QQ are tired of my chronic whining about LOSSY anything....but it seems highly plausible that the PLOT which is unfolding is that once all these Media whores DO give us the SUPREME Masters....then really, what's left for them? Which is why I call these remasters, especially the lossy ones, FACSIMILES of the originals....because TRULY and HONESTLY, that's REALLY WHAT THEY ARE.

The name of the song evades me but the lyrics go something like "You LEARN to SETTLE for what you get. GET It?

If we don't take action now
We settle for nothing later
Settle for nothing now
And we'll settle for nothing later - Rage Against the Machine

I rent from 3dbluray rental to get 4k titles, many of which use ATMOS.

I still stream from Netflix and Amazon prime but don't trust that what I'm getting, from either a video or audio standpoint, is the same as what I get off the disc.

I think the overall feeling is that these companies...both audio and video...just don't want to deal with discs anymore...streaming and downloads is what they want..

They didn't want 4K disc, not really, but there's a market and streaming still has limitations, so they went with it.

The "Fake 4K" thing is kind of overbown though, IMO. Sure, some of these releases are sourced from a 2K source, but that's just because they only paid to render the digital effects in 2K, something that's true of most movies done in the past 20 or so years that involve any digital shots. If the only options are rerendering the digital effects or upscaling a 2K master, they're going to choose upscaling - and in truth for most of these movies rerendering is going to be almost prohibitively expensive anyway, even assuming they have access to the original digital models and software used to make the effects in the first place. So get used to fake 4K discs, because there's going to be many more of them, and most movies made from 1998 to around this year or next are only going to exist in 2K source form forever.

They didn't want 4K disc, not really, but there's a market and streaming still has limitations, so they went with it.

The "Fake 4K" thing is kind of overbown though, IMO. Sure, some of these releases are sourced from a 2K source, but that's just because they only paid to render the digital effects in 2K, something that's true of most movies done in the past 20 or so years that involve any digital shots. If the only options are rerendering the digital effects or upscaling a 2K master, they're going to choose upscaling - and in truth for most of these movies rerendering is going to be almost prohibitively expensive anyway, even assuming they have access to the original digital models and software used to make the effects in the first place. So get used to fake 4K discs, because there's going to be many more of them, and most movies made from 1998 to around this year or next are only going to exist in 2K source form forever.

The harsh reality is that 4k is never going to be mainstream in the US..at least in my lifetime..it will be a niche market like blu ray...you aren't going to be able to turn on your local ABC station and watch it in 4k...the infrastructure in the US can't even sustain the current demands of the current format...I can't even stream fast enough to watch TV due to my internet connection speed...these waterfront buildings were built long ago and pre wired with the local cable company...over the years the wiring has gone south and it's embedded in the walls and can't really be fixed without a major overhaul...which nobody is willing to do...so in my case I use a DSL connection...which is fine for general useage.. and I have Directv to take care of my TV needs...which is superior to the cable company I have...so even if I wanted to stream...which I have no interest in doing...it wouldn't work for me..

Not true regarding CGI digital effects. Years ago, I know Lucasfilm always delivered CGI footage in 70mm for incorporation into mainstream movies heavily invested in CGI even if the movies were shot in 35mm. 35mm NEGATIVES have an inherent resolution of 3500 lines which would make TRUE 4K the perfect delivery medium.

I read all the reviews @ Blu.ray.com for 4K films and even if some of those films were digitally shot at, i.e. 6.5K, some of them are still released in 'upsampled' 4K [from 2K 'masters']. Silly, when you really think about it if they really wanted to make the format 'fly.'

Regarding streaming at 4K.....Clint's right. The bandwidth just isn't there and if the majors really want to 'stream' their music, especially multichannel in higher resolutions....GOOD LUCK. I'm talking if this should become widespread not occasional as I suspect it is currently.

BTW, Clint, I have DirectTV at my summer home in the Hamptons and every time it's overcast/rainy, the signal is lost. I have FIOS TV at my regular house and think it's better but the Hamptons doesn't yet have FIOS

Last edited:
3D may be in a moribund state, but Amazon is blowing out 4 more 3D titles at 'the NICE price:' $9.99: San Andreas wherein the entire state of California is decimated and the Rock is asked: 'What's Next?' His reply: 'We'll rebuild!' Yeah, right!
Mad Max: Fury Road, Godzilla and for $14.99 the recent Spiderman: Homecoming.

Last edited:
Just watched Black Panther in 3d and is a great movie with great 3d usage........a shame this technology is down on new tv sets.......i just got a 65e6p new......that i will open once my little kids grow older (like i 3-4 years)

Yeah 3D tv is just not the same. I don't mind 3d at the theatre but not at the house. I think for 3d, you have to have a massive screen. Or it's just annoying.

Anything looks better on a massive screen but the newer LG OLED 3Ds are so spectacular they actually extend the parameters of the screen and envelop you.

What kind of 3D TV do you have.

Back