3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just took delivery on an LG 65E6P OLED. Un-freakin'-believable!
I am glad to hear that. I am waiting for my tax return to pick up a LG 55E6P OLED myself. I really want the 65 but I don't think I can fit it into my RV.:(

Just took delivery on an LG 65E6P OLED. Un-freakin'-believable!

Give it about 2 weeks to fully break in. And if you have an OPPO with 2 HDMI outs, plug one directly into the TV's HDMI input when viewing 3D and the other into your receiver/pre/pro for audio. Prepare to be ASTOUNDED!

BTW, another highly recommended 3D title is Journey 2: Mysterious Island with the Rock, Michael Caine and Josh Hutcherson. A helluva lot of preposterous fun with eye popping 3D. Available for $8 used/VERY good @ Amazon + s/h. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Journey-2-The-Mysterious-Island-3D-Blu-ray/39881/#Review

Last edited:
That's the first time I ever heard someone talk about breaking in a video product. Do you know any of the science behind that? Or is it a black magic, voodoo kinda thing like with amplifiers?

Take it with a grain of salt, but when I first plugged it in, some of the colors were a bit oversaturated and on the darkish side. The OLEDs are factory calibrated so I didn't dare touch the controls and within a couple of weeks, everything 'fell into place.' The one thing I did notice about OLED.....EVERYTHING looks like it was shot TODAY LIVE (even 1953 movies). Film purists who value 'grain" might be a bit chagrined but I love the look. It's almost as if you're on the LIVE shoot with the film crew. And the colors are absolutely dazzling. In ALL the years I've been involved with film and video, OLED is probably the BEST technology I've yet encountered in home video.

As the prices of OLED decrease, I hope many more can take advantage of this newest technology but as I mentioned, those film purists may NOT like what they see. A good analogy: those old cylinder recordings restored to 2017 pristine condition....as if Caruso (or whoever) recorded it in a modern state of the art recording studio....NO hiss, scratchiness or abnormal tell tale signs of archaic recording anomalies.

Give it about 2 weeks to fully break in. And if you have an OPPO with 2 HDMI outs, plug one directly into the TV's HDMI input when viewing 3D and the other into your receiver/pre/pro for audio. Prepare to be ASTOUNDED!
I do not understand the point of using two cables. Could you please explain it to me?

The one thing I did notice about OLED.....EVERYTHING looks like it was shot TODAY LIVE (even 1953 movies). Film purists who value 'grain" might be a bit chagrined but I love the look. It's almost as if you're on the LIVE shoot with the film crew.
That is the first thing I noticed when I upgraded to a 4k TV two years ago, everything looks like it is shot live. With LED TVs a live broadcast, a video tape and a 35 mm movie all had definite looks to them and I could tell what I was watching just by the look. With 4k it all looks live except really old 35 mm.

That is the first thing I noticed when I upgraded to a 4k TV two years ago, everything looks like it is shot live. With LED TVs a live broadcast, a video tape and a 35 mm movie all had definite looks to them and I could tell what I was watching just by the look. With 4k it all looks live except really old 35 mm.

Different displays handle motion differently. If you're getting the dreaded "soap opera effect," (SOE), you should try adjusting the display's motion controls, preferably setting them to "off."

I do not understand the point of using two cables. Could you please explain it to me?

I have an older Onkyo receiver in my bedroom which is not 4K ready and will NOT pass 3D. My solution was to run HDMI 1 directly to my LG OLED input [for picture] and HDMI 2 to my receiver [for audio]. But there are other benefits, IMO, from also doing this. The video from the OPPO is going directly into the TV thus bypassing the receiver altogether and gives a better pic in my humble opinion. It's also called DIRECT PATH from Point A to Point B thus eliminating the middle man [the receiver]. I will eventually get a new receiver which passes 4K and 3D but depending on the receiver, some do have a negligible effect on the video.

Different displays handle motion differently. If you're getting the dreaded "soap opera effect," (SOE), you should try adjusting the display's motion controls, preferably setting them to "off."

I consider myself an avid film buff having shot loads of film [movie and still] back in the day. My take on the LIVE look of 4K OLED is very positive. Film Grain while it can be a bonus to some viewers can sometimes impose an artificiality as well. Just as REAL life doesn't have grain LIVE music doesn't contain hiss. They are artifacts imposed by the limitations of the era in which they were shot or recorded. Film can also have a depth that early video could only hint at but newer productions shot in 4, 6 or 8K seem to have eliminated this shortcoming.

Watching those old 70mm films in a darkened theater was always a rare treat but only a handful of productions utilized that process [or were up conversions from 35mm] and films that do rely heavily on grain sometimes don't translate as well to home video.

The question thus arises: does it look artificial when even older vintage films look like current LIVE on location shoots rather than reflect the look of film with an overlay of grain? That conundrum I will leave to the eye of the beholder.

Consumer TV sets have a lot of image processing built in, that are on by default. Not only the motion control (high frame rate created with artificial interpolated frames) but digital noise reduction and edge enhancement too. If you don't turn them all off, every source, new and old, will look the same. I like my movies with grain, at 24fps, thanks. Grain, softness, can be there for a purpose, to add a certain mood to a scene, to a movie. Not everything has to look like live tv....

Consumer TV sets have a lot of image processing built in, that are on by default. Not only the motion control (high frame rate created with artificial interpolated frames) but digital noise reduction and edge enhancement too. If you don't turn them all off, every source, new and old, will look the same. I like my movies with grain, at 24fps, thanks. Grain, softness, can be there for a purpose, to add a certain mood to a scene, to a movie. Not everything has to look like live tv....

Francois, my main system is blessed with a fantastic Meridian DILA projector which oozes out tons of film like grain, when required.

The OLED is an alternative. That's all.

Got the 12 I ordered, 3 were 12-15$ others under 12$ one was 3 bucks......

Attachments

• IMG_20170206_133804.jpg
    IMG_20170206_133804.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 173
Got the 12 I ordered, 3 were 12-15$ others under 12$ one was 3 bucks......

GREAT deals, Dave. And a potent reminder that what you don't buy today for pennies on the dollar will be tomorrow's eBay SHOCKERS

And thanks for reminding me about Creature From the Black Lagoon in 3D....It's in my Universal Horror Movie boxset.

BTW, another FUN 3D title still available cheaply: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/300-Rise-of-an-Empire-3D-Blu-ray/70714/

And, yeah, smoke 'em if you got 'em [:banana: .......actually, a spliff!]

Last edited:
Does anybody know if it will decode HDCD? Don't see it mentioned anywhere.

My guess would be NOT. I am more concerned about it having two HDMI outputs like the OPPOs so that I don't have to upgrade the receiver in my bedroom (an older Onkyo) as I can plug one directly into my OLED TV and the other for audio into my receiver.

Check out the short video from AmazonUS regarding this player and it also lists further specs https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01N4RCPKO/panandscathed-20

The video, which can be accessed by clicking onto the top left side of the Amazon blurb, appears to show TWO HDMI outputs.........YEAH!

For the money and with 2 FREE UHD Films included [as a mail in option] in conjunction with the rigid chassis and heat sink accoutrements, this looks to be a winner!

Just took delivery today of three more 3D BD~Vs: It Came From Outer Space, Warcraft and Stalingrad. I still haven't watched the new Star Wars: The Force Awakens in 3D but caution potential purchasers to start stocking up before these 'endangered species' 3D BD~Vs become eBay "shockers."

Ironically, a LOT of new Hollywood fare is still being released in 3D [& Imax 3D] to theaters, so I really wonder how imminent this cessation of 3D BD~Vs for home video release is?

Back