1K Club - QQ Shooting Star 4-earredwonder's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 3D TV Is Dead

Another GREAT 3D Limited Edition BD~V at a GREAT PRICE: https://www.amazon.com/Top-Gun-3D-Bl...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Still a lot of fun and that soundtrack......

In the news lately, with the new trade laws, components, appliances, etc. manufactured in China and South Korea [LG/Samsung] will be subject to a 20% increase in import tariffs.

BTW, even the OPPOs are assembled in China.

2. Thanks 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Banned
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I just finished watching Monsters University in 3D for the first time and I am blown away. This is one of the best 3D movies I have seen so far. There is nothing poking out at you but every scene is very deep. A very well done movie both visually and sonically (7.1). I am a huge fan of Billy Crystal. Back in the 70s he was Jody on Soap and together with Jessica they had the funniest scene I have ever seen on TV. Jody is Jessica's gay son and is trying to explain it to his mom. He starts mentioning some of the historically famous people who were gay and mentions Plato. Jessica's eyes get huge and she says incredulously "Mickey Mouse's dog was gay?". I paid under $10 used on Amazon and it is almost perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Univ...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

4. Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Just received this 3D BD~V from ZAVVI in the UK. Region FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-.../11566758.html

Also available in a limited edition STEELBOOK version [3D/2D: Region Free]: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-.../11566759.html

The US domestic version is available at AmazonUS for $50 + s/h: https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-...8309537&sr=8-1

Blade Runner 2049

6. Likes Snood liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 4-earredwonder View Post
    Just received this 3D BD~V from ZAVVI in the UK. Region FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-.../11566758.html

Also available in a limited edition STEELBOOK version [3D/2D: Region Free]: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/blade-.../11566759.html

The US domestic version is available at AmazonUS for $50 + s/h: https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Runner-...8309537&sr=8-1

Blade Runner 2049
    Had wanted to see this in theaters, so will be curious to hear your review of this title.

For vintage 3-D film buffs, THE MAZE will be out in April - restored from the original camera negatives!
    http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze

8. Thanks 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Likes Snood, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wunlow View Post
    Had wanted to see this in theaters, so will be curious to hear your review of this title.

For vintage 3-D film buffs, THE MAZE will be out in April - restored from the original camera negatives!
    http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-maze
    If you're expecting anything akin to the first Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner I'm afraid there will be major disappointment.

Blade Runner 2049 is a post conversion 3D affair and while there's depth in every scene, nothing screams this movie should've been released in 3D.*

While the acting is competent the script is, IMO, lacking and in no way embraces the spirit of the original. And sadly, none of the characters are in any way memorable [actually rather bland] and although Edward James Olmos makes a brief cameo and Harrison Ford is prominently featured in the film's second half, all I can add is that someone really should've done their homework when considering such a lackluster remake based on a bona fide cult classic.

Would love to see a post 3D conversion of the original. Now, that would be special.

*LG OLED 3D monitor/OPPO UDP 205 utilizing a Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cable inserted directly into the LG Monitor

10. Thanks 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you're expecting anything akin to the first Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner I'm afraid there will be major disappointment.

Blade Runner 2049 is a post conversion 3D affair and while there's depth in every scene, nothing screams this movie should've been released in 3D.*

While the acting is competent the script is, IMO, lacking and in no way embraces the spirit of the original. And sadly, none of the characters are in any way memorable [actually rather bland] and although Edward James Olmos makes a brief cameo and Harrison Ford is prominently featured in the film's second half, all I can add is that someone really should've done their homework when considering such a lackluster remake based on a bona fide cult classic.

Would love to see a post 3D conversion of the original. Now, that would be special.

*LG OLED 3D monitor/OPPO UDP 205 utilizing a Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cable inserted directly into the LG Monitor
    Thanks, had been curious, but when even the cinematographer for BL2049 is quoted as seeing it in 2-D is best, that tends not to be a good sign.

It's a shame, as Sir Ridley had put some real thought into the 3-D in PROMETHEUS (2012) .. Even clips of Lawrence of Arabia were shown in depth!

12. Likes 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, had been curious, but when even the cinematographer for BL2049 is quoted as seeing it in 2-D is best, that tends not to be a good sign.

It's a shame, as Sir Ridley had put some real thought into the 3-D in PROMETHEUS (2012) .. Even clips of Lawrence of Arabia were shown in depth!
    My advice would be to see it at some point [cable TV or download] as some AmazonUS reviewers awarded it 5*s alluding to the fact that some viewers "simply didn't get IT." I got it but it's more of a talkfest with some intriguing premises but not enough to warrant the name BLADE RUNNER [2049]. The Scott original was truly superb and had some incredibly memorable characters and set pieces and IMO, fully earned it's cult status [after a lukewarm reception when originally released].

Furthermore, it doesn't remotely seem that BR2049 was in any way, shape or form shot with 3D in mind, hence the cinematographer's advice to view it in 2D.

The 3D does not detract from the superb image on screen but the bland, bleak landscapes of 2049 Los Angeles with snow falling during much of the film [the BEST 3D effect, BTW] offer VERY little, if any, eye candy....save for the way cool executive office of Niander Wallace [Jared Leto].

14. Thanks 360 SOUND, Wunlow thanked for this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which opens with David Bowie's Space Oddity is a visually arresting feast for the eyes in REAL 3D and the latest Sci Fi romp from French visionary director Luc Besson who also brought us the delightful cult classics The Fifth Element, Léon the Professional, The Big Blue and Subway. An eclectic cast consisting of Dane DeHann, former model Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, a wonderful performance by Rhianna*, Ethan Hawke and composer Herbie Hancock bring this comic book adaptation to life in one of the most visually astonishing films to date.

Unfortunately, this exquisite 3D version is region B, only, and includes a 2D version as well. The Zavvi steelbook 3D version which I own is apparently SOLD OUT.

For those of you with multi region players, I highly recommend you add this title to your collection https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/valeri.../11525075.html

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...so2xu0d9ma.jpg

*http://www.blackfilm.com/read/wp-con...er-Rihanna.jpg
    Last edited by 4-earredwonder; 02-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.

16. Thanks skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes skherbeck liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a little surprised to see this coming soon, next Mission Impossible in 3D. I guess it is not quite dead yet.

Fallout.jpg

18. Thanks perzon57, skherbeck thanked for this post
    Likes perzon57, skherbeck liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

They are trying to fix the problem HERE

20. Thanks Wunlow thanked for this post
    Likes Wunlow liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Available for pre~order now from ZAVVI: Exclusive LIMITED EDITION Steelbook 3D/2D version of Marvel's Black Panther: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/black-.../11691058.html

Also available in a non~steelbook 3D/2D version: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/black-.../11690947.html

https://movieweb.com/black-panther-b...d-192-million/

22. Thanks Wunlow thanked for this post
    Likes 360 SOUND, Wunlow liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who own the Sony UBP-X800 player, note that the latest Sony 4K model the UBP-X700 is a one step forward, one step back design.

Both offer 3-D bluray playback with a 3-D capable display.

The UBP-X700 adds Dolby-Vision HDR support, but removes MLP DVD-Audio playback which is available in the UBP-X800.
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu...ayers/ubp-x700

24. Thanks timbre4, 360 SOUND thanked for this post
    Likes timbre4, 360 SOUND liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

For those who own the Sony UBP-X800 player, note that the latest Sony 4K model the UBP-X700 is a one step forward, one step back design.

The UBP-X700 adds Dolby-Vision HDR support, but removes MLP DVD-Audio playback which is available in the UBP-X800.
    Interesting but puzzling! I realize DVD~A is a dead format but why they just didn't port it over into the new player is just plain silly since the R & D and chipset were already in place.

As for Dolby Vision: It's just beginning to be incorporated into the newer 4K discs but 4K discs aren't exactly breaking any records in the sales department and a lot of them are still being released as UPSCALED 2K and to be perfectly honest, the titles the majors are releasing are disappointing.

When contemplating purchasing 4K discs, consult this website to determine whether they are REAL or FAKE 4K: http://realorfake4k.com

My newly acquired OPPO UHD 205 now has Dolby Vision due to a recent firmware upgrade but my 2016 LG 3D OLED TV is still awaiting an upgrade which I understand is in the works [see post #485 on this thread].
    Last edited by 4-earredwonder; 02-20-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Level
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting but puzzling! I realize DVD~A is a dead format but why they just didn't port it over into the new player is just plain silly since the R & D and chipset were already in place.
    Licensing fees, I suspect, coupled with minuscule demand. The best way to insulate yourself against this stuff is to rip all of your media and put all the bits on a NAS (network attached storage). About five years ago when I was getting into the hobby, I made the decisions not to buy any disc player beyond the Blu-ray player I already owned. I don't regret the decision one bit.

27. Thanks Clint Eastwood thanked for this post
    Likes Clint Eastwood, ubertrout liked this post
    Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to post that same observation the other day...that's classic Sony

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    Licensing fees, I suspect, coupled with minuscule demand. The best way to insulate yourself against this stuff is to rip all of your media and put all the bits on a NAS (network attached storage). About five years ago when I was getting into the hobby, I made the decisions not to buy any disc player beyond the Blu-ray player I already owned. I don't regret the decision one bit.

I'm sad to say that I'm almost to that point...I'd rather have a root canal done than get involved with any computer/storage device applications...but it seems I will have to sooner or later...I've been doing research lately on the topic...I have zero computer skills....the one good thing is there are many on here that can help me...but it's not something I look forward to...but the reality is that physical discs are going away...and when they close down a pressing plant...the machines that play those discs will go away as well..

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Eastwood View Post
    I'm sad to say that I'm almost to that point...I'd rather have a root canal done than get involved with any computer/storage device applications...but it seems I will have to sooner or later...I've been doing research lately on the topic...I have zero computer skills....the one good thing is there are many on here that can help me...but it's not something I look forward to...but the reality is that physical discs are going away...and when they close down a pressing plant...the machines that play those discs will go away as well..
    That of course will be inevitable but I'm at a junction in my life when video has become my primary focus [NETFLIX, 3D/4K] and as I have literally thousands and thousands of music albums in almost every conceivable format and have frankly been disgusted of late at the plethora of LOSSY 5.1 remasters [Sorry....but I AM], I'm sure I too will get involved in downloading music.........but will be picky, picky.

It's funny how since my system has improved, I go back to DVD~A albums which I haven't listened to in a long time and am enjoying them all over ago......IN FULL MLP resolution and gasp at some of the shit the majors are throwing at us in 2018.

The fact that the majors could never quite decide on a unified format and have been messing with their masters for so long....wonder if the term DEFINITIVE remaster will EVER apply? And that, I'm sure, applies to downloads, as well.

31. Likes timbre4 liked this post
    500 Club - QQ All Star ubertrout's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 33
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic View Post
    I'm one of those people who has ripped essentially nothing (except rarer classical CDs). I just don't have the kind of time it takes to do so - usually 20-30 minutes per disc in my experience, plus other considerations. I'm sticking to discs for things like 3D, and I use Vudu to watch movies from the cloud - the dollar or 3 per movie (or free, in the case of new releases) is less than the time value of ripping the disc to me.

I'm not averse to downloads - I get a lot of music from eclassical, for instance. But the time sink is a killer, at least for me.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

That of course will be inevitable but I'm at a junction in my life when video has become my primary focus [NETFLIX, 3D/4K] and as I have literally thousands and thousands of music albums in almost every conceivable format and have frankly been disgusted of late at the plethora of LOSSY 5.1 remasters [Sorry....but I AM], I'm sure I too will get involved in downloading music.........but will be picky, picky.

It's funny how since my system has improved, I go back to DVD~A albums which I haven't listened to in a long time and am enjoying them all over ago......IN FULL MLP resolution and gasp at some of the shit the majors are throwing at us in 2018.

The fact that the majors could never quite decide on a unified format and have been messing with their masters for so long....wonder if the term DEFINITIVE remaster will EVER apply? And that, I'm sure, applies to downloads, as well.
    My trajectory has been the reverse...I started in video and when plasma exited the market place I lost interest and shifted to audio...if OLED continues to improve I might go back to video...especially when the physical audio discs go away..I have enough music to last a long time...the problem with ripping the music is it's so "clinical"...when I moved from vinyl I missed the beautiful art on the covers...and if I move from physical discs...those pretty box sets will be gone and all I'm left with is a storage container..I like having a tangible object on my shelf...and believe it or not...I like the "hunt"...tracking down the object of my prey...the group discussions on here about the disc...instead I get instant "gratification" which isn't really gratifying at all...just a click and it's downloaded...

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

It just sucks that they're dropping support for DVD-Audio with the X700. I'm strongly considering getting a cheap DV/4K transport, and putting my BDP-93 back in the rack. Seems like a much cheaper option than springing for a Oppo 203. I'll probably sell or give away the X800 when this is done.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ubertrout View Post
    It just sucks that they're dropping support for DVD-Audio with the X700. I'm strongly considering getting a cheap DV/4K transport, and putting my BDP-93 back in the rack. Seems like a much cheaper option than springing for a Oppo 203. I'll probably sell or give away the X800 when this is done.
    Ubertrout, I'm sure the SONY X800 is a better player [and MORE versatile] than the OPPO BDP~93. No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision but neither does the OPPO and to be honest, MOST all of the 4K discs do not yet have dolby vision [but they do have HDR which the SONY recognizes].

SONY dropping MLP DVD~A in the new player does suck but it probably behooves SONY to have to pay royalty fees for a technology they had NOTHING TO DO WITH....despite the fact we still live in a PCM [and NOT DSD] world

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

My trajectory has been the reverse...I started in video and when plasma exited the market place I lost interest and shifted to audio...if OLED continues to improve I might go back to video...especially when the physical audio discs go away..I have enough music to last a long time...the problem with ripping the music is it's so "clinical"...when I moved from vinyl I missed the beautiful art on the covers...and if I move from physical discs...those pretty box sets will be gone and all I'm left with is a storage container..I like having a tangible object on my shelf...and believe it or not...I like the "hunt"...tracking down the object of my prey...the group discussions on here about the disc...instead I get instant "gratification" which isn't really gratifying at all...just a click and it's downloaded...
    To be perfectly clear, CLINT, I've owned 2 Plasma TVs and in my very honest opinion, the OLEDs blow them away in every conceivable parameter [including the inky, inky black levels]. Once LG gets the DOLBY VISION thingy sorted out, it should be a serious contender although the 2017/2018 models will not do 3D which is one of the absolute highlights of the 2016 models.

Also, regarding downloading: As you waxed nostalgic about those awesome LP covers and gatefolds [which I also miss in spades], what you are really getting with downloads are soulless replicas of the music in resolutions no one is quite sure of and from questionable sources, as well.

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

Ubertrout, I'm sure the SONY X800 is a better player [and MORE versatile] than the OPPO BDP~93. No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision but neither does the OPPO and to be honest, MOST all of the 4K discs do not yet have dolby vision [but they do have HDR which the SONY recognizes].

SONY dropping MLP DVD~A in the new player does suck but it probably behooves SONY to have to pay royalty fees for a technology they had NOTHING TO DO WITH....despite the fact we still live in a PCM [and NOT DSD] world
    To be clear, I indicated I'd get a cheap 4K DV player to go with the Oppo.

Also, the DVD-Audio Patents mostly expire this year, with a few lingering into 2019 or 2020. Wonder if the format will have a bit of a revival then.

Level
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Post Thanks / Like

Level
    Achievements:
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems Hollywood and their sister companies, the major three record conglomerates don't want to part with their MASTERS.....PERIOD.

Instead they have given us a lot of 2K mastered UHD 4K [talk about an oxymoron] releases without Dolby Vision just as their sister music companies are giving us LOSSY 5.1 codecs with their newer, increasingly pricier releases.

And if you read the comments at the bottom of the article which Clint kindly provided, VUDU 4K streaming fails to equal even the 2K mastered UHD 4K discs.

So, what gives?

I'm sure a LOT of posters at QQ are tired of my chronic whining about LOSSY anything....but it seems highly plausible that the PLOT which is unfolding is that once all these Media whores DO give us the SUPREME Masters....then really, what's left for them? Which is why I call these remasters, especially the lossy ones, FACSIMILES of the originals....because TRULY and HONESTLY, that's REALLY WHAT THEY ARE.

The name of the song evades me but the lyrics go something like "You LEARN to SETTLE for what you get. GET It?

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast