3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
DSL Reports says that the last two companies making 3D TV sets (LG and Sony) will end their production on 3D TV sets this year.
This brings to an end 3D TV.

"Despite endless marketing hype and years of denial from the industry that consumers weren't interested, the 3DTV revolution appears to be dead. LG and Sony, the last two major TV makers to support the 3D feature in their TVs, say they'll stop producing the sets this year. Samsung dropped 3D support in 2016, while Vizio hasn't offered a 3D-capable set since 2013. Numerous other companies, including Sharp, TCL and Hisense, have made no announcements regarding 3DTVs. Ultimately users found the added cost, lack of content and annoying glasses simply not worth the price of admission.

"3D capability was never really universally embraced in the industry for home use, and it's just not a key buying factor when selecting a new TV," an LG exec tells CNET.

"Purchase process research showed it's not a top buying consideration, and anecdotal information indicated that actual usage was not high. We decided to drop 3D support for 2017 in order to focus our efforts on new capabilities such as HDR, which has much more universal appeal."

"Based on current market trends we decided not to support 3D for our 2017 models," Sony said in a short statement.

Sales of 3DTV sets had declined every year since 2012. 3DTV made up just 8% of total television sales dollars for 2016, down from 16% in 2015 and 23% in 2012."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/3DTV-is-Dead-138769

Bummer ......Guess I better get the LG OLED 3D before their gone......
This household has 3 3D TVs and we've always enjoyed the format.....

I still have a TV with a CRT.... not really in any rush to go out and buy another TV just for the sake of being a good consumer.
My eyes are Lo-Def anyway :rolleyes:

Bummer ......Guess I better get the LG OLED 3D before their gone......
This household has 3 3D TVs and we've always enjoyed the format.....

Better get it, is RIGHT. I was watching the Litchmond 3D discs of Moonlight and Universe of Light last night and it was positively, absolutely, exhilaratingly ASTOUNDING in 3D on my newly acquired LG 55" 4K Curved TV. I've been watching my considerable backlog of 3D movies all week end and there isn't a DUD in the arsenal. BluRay.com, my bible, doesn't have access to OLED (my opinion) and if they do, their low scoring of 3D is BOGUS. Even the 3D I get from FIOS is amazing.

Addenda: In Litchmond's Moonlight and Universe of Light the screen is 9 feet away and objects were clearly and distinctly 6 inches away from any face. That 55" TV becomes MUCH MUCH larger and 1080p 3D looks like 4K. I can only imagine what 4K 3D would look like. It's ashame it's not part of the 4K launch. And the glasses that come with the OLED are extremely lightweight and fit comfortably over my prescription glasses.

The prices of OLED are rapidly coming down. My 55" listed @ $4K and I was able to score it for $1800 + tax. One of the BEST purchases I have EVER made.......period!

What I do find amazing is that Hollywood continues to churn out fantastic quality 3D movies and now they're pulling the plug on the technology just when OLED, a technology which can handle it with astounding aplomb, is being introduced. LG presently has a 77" Curved OLED 2D/3D TV for [ouch] $20K!

This is too funny. I remember the first 3D wave in the 50s. It was going to be the next big thing. Then it died only to be revived in the 60s as the next big thing. It died again and it seems like every decade it gets reintroduced as the next big thing and then dies again. So just wait for 2023, it will be reintroduced as the next big thing.:mad:@:

This is too funny. I remember the first 3D wave in the 50s. It was going to be the next big thing. Then it died only to be revived in the 60s as the next big thing. It died again and it seems like every decade it gets reintroduced as the next big thing and then dies again. So just wait for 2023, it will be reintroduced as the next big thing.:mad:@:

I Hear you. While I found the recent iteration of 3D fairly enjoyable - I only purchased three, 3D movies. So, I guess in the end, I just didn't care.

Sellerbird, I would tend to agree with you but things have changed. Remember, QUAD died a miserable death in the 70's never to return again until the late 90's when DTS Entertainment released their first surround discs. Of course, the motion picture industry revolutionized surround in the 70's with Star Wars, etc, but the music industry hardly got the memo.

Unfortunately, 3D was NOT well served until NOW but the old adage Too Little Too Late is very evidently in effect. My old Panasonic Plasma which did awesome 2D even failed to do 3D effectively. Way too dark and those rechargeable goggles were nightmares. OLED has positively NAILED it and if you saw what I saw last evening you'd be an instant convert and the new glasses are so lightweight and comfortable you don't even know you're wearing them.

In a few years, OLEDs will be more common but without the 3D they'll just be another VERY pretty picture in 2D. IMO, what I saw last night, I'd be content to even view 1080p on a 4K TV because the colors were SO vivid and the 3D imaging SO exceptional, I can really say without hesitation that it's REVOLUTIONARY in the purest sense of the word!

But as Surround Music is still very much a niche market, so, now, will be 3D even though we here at QQ know that QUAD/5.1/7.1/9.1 IS the way to go. And as we're all well aware....the MAJORITY still RULES!

The passive 3d on the LG TVs, OLED and otherwise, is the only way to do 3d. Active 3d is just a pain in the neck, even though I understand in theory it offers better resolution. This does mean I need to decide if I care to upgrade my 1080p LG OLED to 4K in this last year of 3d.

OLED has positively NAILED it and if you saw what I saw last evening you'd be an instant convert and the new glasses are so lightweight and comfortable you don't even know you're wearing them.
I already am a convert. I am madly in love with 3d. I live in the Orlando area and I have an annual pass to Disney World. I go there a lot. My favorite rides are all the 3d rides like It's Tough To Be A Bug, Muppet Vision, Toy Story Mania and Philharmagic. I have been to all of them dozens of times each. I don't have a 3D TV but I have been seriously considering getting one since I am due to replace my first generation 4k Vizio soon. What size LG do you have and does it have a crosstalk issue?

While 3-D enabled projectors are still plentiful, LG unfortunately was the last supplier of flatscreen 3DTV panels.

The ever so slightly encouraging news is LG has a program called "Voice of the Consumer", so anyone who has an interest in seeing a 3D option in their 2018 lineup, Rob at LG has promised to forward on to correct parties. His email is [email protected] and sure hope anyone here with an interest sends him feedback.

LG has admitted adding 3-D capability to their displays is a negligible cost increase.

An online petition also is in the works, with over six thousand signatures so far: https://www.change.org/p/lg-please-...recruiter=624990977&utm_source=share_petition Again, anyone with an interest in this unique (and to me, very special display process) please be sure to add your voice. If LG doesn't listen, another company may still see these petitions and rethink their options.

The sad part is 2016 has had the biggest release of 3-D blurays in the history of the six year old 3-D bluray format. For the first few years there was next to nothing content wise available at home in 3-D, which obviously didn't help the format.

I'm currently considering one of the 2016 4K 3D OLED displays, as the 2-D image already with OLED is incredible, and from what I hear, the 3-D performance on OLED is all the more so.

Currently own a 3-D projector and passive 3DTV, and have thoroughly enjoyed both. The passive 3DTV of course uses inexpensive polarized glasses. Such a shame that vintage 3-D classics such as HOUSE OF WAX, KISS ME KATE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, and so many others were also originally shown in dual 35mm projection polarized 3-D process in the 1950s, and it took sixty years for the technology to catch up to be able to show them properly in the home.

Greg Kintz
Technical Director
3-D Film Archive, LLC
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

While 3-D enabled projectors are still plentiful, LG unfortunately was the last supplier of flatscreen 3DTV panels.

The ever so slightly encouraging news is LG has a program called "Voice of the Consumer", so anyone who has an interest in seeing a 3D option in their 2018 lineup, Rob at LG has promised to forward on to correct parties. His email is [email protected] and sure hope anyone here with an interest sends him feedback.

LG has admitted adding 3-D capability to their displays is a negligible cost increase.

An online petition also is in the works, with over six thousand signatures so far: https://www.change.org/p/lg-please-...recruiter=624990977&utm_source=share_petition Again, anyone with an interest in this unique (and to me, very special display process) please be sure to add your voice. If LG doesn't listen, another company may still see these petitions and rethink their options.

The sad part is 2016 has had the biggest release of 3-D blurays in the history of the six year old 3-D bluray format. For the first few years there was next to nothing content wise available at home in 3-D, which obviously didn't help the format.

I'm currently considering one of the 2016 4K 3D OLED displays, as the 2-D image already with OLED is incredible, and from what I hear, the 3-D performance on OLED is all the more so.

Currently own a 3-D projector and passive 3DTV, and have thoroughly enjoyed both. The passive 3DTV of course uses inexpensive polarized glasses. Such a shame that vintage 3-D classics such as HOUSE OF WAX, KISS ME KATE, IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, and so many others were also originally shown in dual 35mm projection polarized 3-D process in the 1950s, and it took sixty years for the technology to catch up to be able to show them properly in the home.

Greg Kintz
Technical Director
3-D Film Archive, LLC
http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/

Many thanks, Greg, for sharing the opportunity to voice my opinion regarding the continuance of 3D TV. I signed the petition.

Even though you have older model 3D capable TVs, I would HIGHLY advise you to 'experience' for yourself how spectacular 3D looks on an OLED Curved display. I've had CRT projectors, LCD, LED and presently have a non 3D capable Meridian DILA projector and the black levels on the OLED exceed ANY of the above (in spades....No pun intended). The beauty of this TV is that even though it's 55" {for my bedroom use} the picture extends way beyond the screen. If you've even seen the German produced Lichtmond 3D blu rays (with Dolby Atmos Sound) you would be simply blown away at how brilliant 1080p can look on an OLED display. I did plug the HDMI cable from my OPPO directly into the display thus bypassing my receiver and since the OPPO had dual HDMI outputs, the other HDMI is plugged into the receiver [for audio]. I cannot tell you how dazzling the image is (even though I have repeated myself several times in other posts). NEVER in my life have I seen 3D displayed so vividly and convincingly in a home environment.

Again, thanks for your input and like you said....MORE 3D films have been released this year than in prior years and since Hollywood continues to release in the format, perhaps in time IF and WHEN OLED infiltrates the mainstream, others will take notice and petition for the continuance of 3D.

https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Un...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3VWVYE1ZRDP5ECZBPYSB

https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Un...8&qid=1485229220&sr=1-6&keywords=lichtmond+3d

I've been searching for an article I read about the increase in movie goers choosing to watch 3D IMAX over 2d. The news now is they are killing it at the wrong time. My 3d collection is over 30 titles, most animated. Some movies have more depth then pop outs, either are enjoyable. The older movies like House of Wax, Creature from the Black Lagoon and Dial M for Murder are excellent. Google, best 3D movies and you'll find multiple lists with titles that vary, but are consistent, Avatar is on most lists.
I will wait til after the SB for the prices to drop further, the TV scam marts of NJ have a LG OLED 3D 55" E6P series (the best series) @1500.00. crutchgrove and worst buy have them @2500.00.
I'll have to move my LG 47 LM 6700 UA 3D LED 240hz pretty soon also......Damn always something.....

Some Amazon prices are phenomenally low especially if your a prime member......Anyway have 12 more heading my way....

Last edited:
Sad part for me is, I've had my Panny plasma 50" (a 2010 model I could afford from Costco, because they were phasing-out 3D plasma sets) for 5 years now, frantically trying to whittle-down the DVR programming to make room for more, and never got my set into an environment capable of benefitting fully from proper calibration. Finally this year I get the set into our new house, downstairs into a controlled setting, and an Oppo 103 eagerly awaiting my 5.1 tweaking as well. I've got a non-commercial taste for film, and it looks like the well will dry up before I get my first chance to see Hertzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams or Peter Gabriel performing orchestral versions of his catalog...there probably won't be too many new treats like that to look forward to. I can barely count on one hand the features I want to see on my own system now, some of them only once (and some only worth paying for because I know I'd never get an opportunity unless I purchase them for myself).

This smacks so much of Sony Music trying to kill SACD while Sony Electronics Japan was still trying to sell SACD players, I could puke. Don't tell me - the industry is trying to remove this distraction from the marketplace to clear the way for releasing Dolby Atmos versions of great cinema such as Police Academy and Transformers box sets, right? (No, please don't tell Hollywood - don't give them any ideas...)

The Immediate Future has gotten hella expensive lately, what with Quadio Chicago boxes and keeping up with computer hardware and software advances and gadgets gadgets gadgets...NOW I have to invest in an OLED if I want to keep my 3D collection viable, and maybe find an extra Oppo on hand if I want to be able to backup my SACD's (and, for some reason, nudge nudge wink wink, I suddenly have a desire to measure my back yard for a bomb shelter)(anybody see my copy of Fagan's Nightfly...?)...

Sad part for me is, I've had my Panny plasma 50" (a 2010 model I could afford from Costco, because they were phasing-out 3D plasma sets) for 5 years now, frantically trying to whittle-down the DVR programming to make room for more, and never got my set into an environment capable of benefitting fully from proper calibration. Finally this year I get the set into our new house, downstairs into a controlled setting, and an Oppo 103 eagerly awaiting my 5.1 tweaking as well. I've got a non-commercial taste for film, and it looks like the well will dry up before I get my first chance to see Hertzog's Cave of Forgotten Dreams or Peter Gabriel performing orchestral versions of his catalog...there probably won't be too many new treats like that to look forward to. I can barely count on one hand the features I want to see on my own system now, some of them only once (and some only worth paying for because I know I'd never get an opportunity unless I purchase them for myself).

This smacks so much of Sony Music trying to kill SACD while Sony Electronics Japan was still trying to sell SACD players, I could puke. Don't tell me - the industry is trying to remove this distraction from the marketplace to clear the way for releasing Dolby Atmos versions of great cinema such as Police Academy and Transformers box sets, right? (No, please don't tell Hollywood - don't give them any ideas...)

The Immediate Future has gotten hella expensive lately, what with Quadio Chicago boxes and keeping up with computer hardware and software advances and gadgets gadgets gadgets...NOW I have to invest in an OLED if I want to keep my 3D collection viable, and maybe find an extra Oppo on hand if I want to be able to backup my SACD's (and, for some reason, nudge nudge wink wink, I suddenly have a desire to measure my back yard for a bomb shelter)(anybody see my copy of Fagan's Nightfly...?)...

Well, my 2011 Costco 46" THX calibrated, WAY too dark for 3D, Panasonic 3D Plasma with free Panasonic BD player died a few months ago which predicated my OLED purchase and coincidentally, I watched the Gabriel LIVE concert last night in 3D and it was SO freakin' dimensional that every singer, musician and back~up singer was in their own individual plane. I've yet to watch Cave of Forgotten Dreams (I also have it) and Joe Satriani's Satchurated and Pat Metheny's the Orchestrion Project in 3D (saw the latter in 2D....SUPERB).....but they do have some pretty 'tricky' fare in 3D and with the OLED it's NOT a gimmick at all but an extension of your room and your mind. Imagine a sparkling silver fish coming straight at you to within 6 inches of your face from 8 feet away and turning around slowly for you to behold it's startling azure eyes in perfect focus where you just say to yourself: "did that REALLY happen" [courtesy of Lichtmond's MOONLIGHT]

With the amazing up conversions [like the venerable original Wizard of Oz], the releases they could accomplish in 3D is endless. I would love for Citizen Kane to be 3D unconverted to behold Gregg Toland's magnificent B&W cinematography with his lower than low angles [Rosebud....sleight of EYE]. Sorsese's HUGO is fascinating in 3D and Ang Lee's Life of Pi STUNNING. The list goes on. Search and ye shall find. And viewing the extraordinary results will even involve the consumption of gourmet popcorn because the plain ole variety just won't suffice!

The Dipper needs a Diversion so I'd say GO FOR IT, BT [BIG time]! That $20K LG 77" Curved 2D/3D display is waiting for YOU and ME, as well. I WANT it! :yikes And the dilemma with that: that screen may drop to a quarter of its price or skyrocket on e~bay as I'm sure they're not mass producing that puppy and it may become one of those must have items.

The WHOLE world's in 3D and there's sounds all around........Everything should be in 3D and Surround.....and then I woke up!

Last edited:
In anticipation of the 'death of 3D' I'm furiously ordering 3D BD~V titles {really, ONLY the ones I want}. Some of them are as low as $3.99. If you type in '3D blu ray' at AmazonUS, all the titles will pop up. Unless you have a Region free BD player ensure that you don't order Import 3D titles in regions other than your player is capable of playing.

Happy Hunting. Either make the move NOW or risk paying outrageous e~bay prices.

In anticipation of the 'death of 3D' I'm furiously ordering 3D BD~V titles {really, ONLY the ones I want}. Some of them are as low as $3.99. If you type in '3D blu ray' at AmazonUS, all the titles will pop up. Unless you have a Region free BD player ensure that you don't order Import 3D titles in regions other than your player is capable of playing.

Happy Hunting. Either make the move NOW or risk paying outrageous e~bay prices.

Hey my good man - maybe you can start a new thread with great deals on 3D blurays.....I for one, would spend some money to collect the. As I said, I only have 3!!!

Hey my good man - maybe you can start a new thread with great deals on 3D blurays.....I for one, would spend some money to collect the. As I said, I only have 3!!!

Gene, 'tis better for the prospective 3D bargain hunter to do their own search over at AmazonUS and cross reference with bluray.com to assess the quality of the 3D transfer. For instance, I have the 3D BD~V of Harry Potter and the Deadly Hollows Part II....but don't have Part I and when I checked over at bluray.com, the reviews for Part I in 3D were absolutely dismal so I'll naturally skip on Part I (I do have it in 2D). And really, the prices are all over the map. Usually, I wait awhile to order the 3D version when it's first announced and a few months later the prices are halved [or better], But with the impending demise of the 3D format, collectors will probably gobble them up upon release and there won't be any bargains down the pike. Sound familiar.....the same philosophy applies for hi res releases.

BTW, I presently have about 60 3D BD~V titles with another 8~10 en route. I've been on a 3D binge since last Friday night and so far, I've been mightily impressed. Now if I could only get that 77" LG OLED 2D/3D panel for a cheap price I'd even forego my 102" projection screen since that 77" 3D screen would extend beyond the limits of its parameters (in 3D, only, unfortunately).

https://www.amazon.com/3-D-Rarities...TF8&qid=1485308949&sr=8-6&keywords=3d+blu+ray

Here is a great review for this must have 3d disc:

I write 3D reviews for Home Theater Forum. I own a collection of well over 100 3D titles and have excellent knowledge of how those titles look on a quality home screen.

I am also very much aware of how awful today's Hollywood 3D releases have become. The industry has ruined the 3D format. It's failure has nothing to do with the public's disinterest in the format, but rather Hollywood's disinterest in providing anything thrilling to look at. Most (or nearly all, actually) of what is released today to theaters and Blu-ray are up conversions done in post production. This means that filmmakers simply shot their film flat and then converted it afterwards. This is not how it was done in the 1950s during the "Golden Era" of 3D filmmaking, and as thus, what Hollywood is giving us today is a pale comparison of what viewers were treated to decades ago.

The death of 3D is totally the fault of of today's filmmakers. Nobody believes in shooting natively in 3D, nor wants to provide the smallest amount of pop-out to give audiences something hair-raising to remember, long after the final credits roll.

Allow me to give you some "highlights" from my Home Theater Forum review. Some rewording has been done to provide better formatting here on Amazon.

================================================

3-D Rarities is the most prized Blu-ray in my library of well over 100 3D titles. It is the absolute best 3D title currently available -- and it accomplishes that task without being Avatar.

While some may greatly argue with my opinion, I beg you to read further, as I will attempt to explain why this release is so very, very important and how it succeeds in pleasing all audiences, whether you prefer dramatic pop-out or simply wonderful depth to enhance the onscreen visuals.

It all starts with my first meeting with 3-D Archive Preservationist, Robert Furmanek. It was not too surprising that he found me through this forum, given the fact that I was touting myself as an HTF 3D ADDICT. Knowing how much I appreciated the format, he invited to his home to treat me to a showing of classic archive material he was looking to get released. That meeting took place in 2012.

At that point, I had never seen any classic 3D material. Everything I knew about 3D was based upon recent releases. My opinion at the time was that anything from the classic era of 3D could never live up to the grandeur of Avatar or anything being brought to Blu-ray at the time. I could just imagine Mr. Furmanek's interest in showing me the material he had acquired.

That meeting with Bob Furmanek literally changed my life.

Now most of that material that I was privately shown can be shared with this release of 3-D RARITIES.

One of the most startling moments for me -- which brings home the historical significance of the contained material -- comes at the disc's very first presentation, Thru' The Trees. Here is a look at our nation's capitol during the early 1920s, including a reunion of Civil War veterans at Arlington Cemetery. Though the footage is a little rough, one gets a nice sense of depth and spacing while sitting in awe of the documented footage.

There are some terrific pop-outs that include an old hag delivering a poisonous concoction that extends off the screen before being thrown in your face. Later, a delivered hot dog protrudes so far off the screen that it comes inches from the the viewer's lips. The effect will be quite memorable for those that rarely see this kind of protrusion from their current 3D titles.

But Wait! Things are about to get even better. A sequence from 1935's John Norling/Jacob Leventhal tests takes us to the Thunderbolt rollercoaster on Coney Island. I swear to you, watching the coaster car climb to the very top of the tracks and then plunge itself downward, across a 118" projected screen, was a pretty queasy experience for me. I would estimate some others will feel exactly the same way no matter what their screen size.

Most viewers should enjoy the 1940 promotional short, Thrills For You, which features the Pennsylvania Railroad, the most elegant method of rail travel for its time. Though there is no pop-out to be found here, the method of photography provides a very interesting level of depth of the inside capacity of the train and the passing landscape alongside it.

Another highly enjoyable short (though a bit too lengthy for its own good) is New Dimensions, Chrysler's promotional short that premiered during the 1940 World's Fair. It took nine weeks to photograph the stop motion animation, set to music, which depicts the building of a Plymouth Sedan. The fascinating short provides an adequate amount of depth as automobile parts are "magically" placed into position. It should be noted that the short has been restored from the only known surviving 35mm Technicolor print. It looks wonderful.

There are several drawn animated features from Canadian resident Norman McLaren that include: Now Is The Time, Around Is Around and Twirligig. I found Twirligig the most captivating watch for its animated optics that come right off the screen and dance inches before the viewer's face. It's almost a hypnotic sort of sensation that should elicit a few "oohs" and "aaahs" from all who view it.

My favorite segment within this package M.L. Gunzburg Presents Natural Vision 3-Dimension. Originally shown in 1952 as a prologue to Bwana Devil, this short serves as an educational tool to audiences not familiar with the new technology that had just crept into their theaters. Not only does the short feature the beautiful Shirley Tegge (1949's Miss USA), but also the very popular Beany and Cecil who get to experiment with their own glasses. I hope viewers will find this as entertaining as I did, as I feel it is one of the best shorts within this assemblage.

For those of you who cherish trailers, there are plenty to be found here. We have four from 1953: It Came From Outer Space, The Maze, Miss Sadie Thompson and Hannah Lee. Though Hannah Lee succumbed to financial and technical problems prior to its release, in my opinion it is one of the best trailers in the collection due to its noteworthy pop-out near its close.

Perhaps the short that put the biggest smile on my face was the Casper The Friendly Ghost cartoon, Boo Moon, produced in 1953. You know, I haven't seen a Casper cartoon since I was a kid. Bob Furmanek had originally shown it to me back in 2012, but I had forgotten about it. So, when I saw the familiar logo and music suddenly appear onscreen, I felt like a kid all over again. This time, I was watching a full-fledged 3D cartoon -- and it looked AWESOME -- thanks to its perfectly layered placement of objects. No doubt, those of you who grew up in the Casper era are going to really enjoy this short.

What puts this collection at the very top of my HOME THEATER FORUM TOP 3D TITLES list is partly historic, but more for the fact that it will please those who love pop-out and those who love only depth that the format provides. Most everything presented here has a very "exaggerated" dimensional look and feel to it. Those who grew up with View-Master stereoscopes are really going to appreciate the intensity of the 3D. Those who like pop-out, on the other hand, are going to be exceptionally thrilled by a myriad of close encounters with objects that project themselves directly at the audience. This is the kind of stuff that Hollywood of today won't even consider doing. And, if you are as bored with today's 3D filmmaking as I am, you will view 3-D Rarities as a breath of fresh air.

I would estimate that because you are reading this review, you love film and have a keen interest in 3D. Well, imagine yourself going into an old attic, rummaging around the multitude of spider-web covered artifacts that are strewn across the floor. Suddenly, you uncover an old box without a label. You open it -- and behold -- you find an aged collection of 3D movie reels. Your entire body tingles with excitement knowing the treasure you have just uncovered.

That is the feeling I had when I first saw much of this material for the first time back in 2012. I experienced the same feeling this very week when I watched 3-D Rarities for the first time and discovered even more stuff I had never seen before.

And you know what? This isn't even the tip of the iceberg as far as what material still lies out there. I have seen things in Bob Furmanek's personal collection that may never be released. HTF Members who came out to our 2012 meet were treated to much of the same material that is copyright protected and may never see the light of day.

This is the real stuff when it comes to 3D. It's the kind of disc you'll throw on to demonstrate to friends exactly what your system is capable of producing. Don't expect today's Hollywood films to come close to the the level of dimensional enjoyment you will experience here.

Back