3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just convert the sacd iso to dsf using sonore iso2dsd and the sony will play those individual dsf’s

easy peasy

Sweet! Will try that next week-end for sure. I only have a couple but there are some good ones like Peter Tosh's Legalize It and the E. Power Biggs Four Great Toccatas. I got the latter after my Pio crapped out so haven't been able to experience those amazing low pipe organ notes since adding my second Paradigm Servo 15. :)

Is it freeware?

EDIT - I downloaded it and figured it out, worked really well but the .dsf files are not working with PLEX, I will try them via USB as at least that would be a solution.

Last edited:
Best Buy is blowing through their 3D inventory...most 3D discs are on sale but getting copies is harder. Picked up ST: Beyond, World War Z, and Transformers IMAX 3D.

Ubertrout, I did post this awhile back and the price was reduced even further: 2 Star Trek 3D Movies and a 2D movie [total 5 BD~Vs] in a beautiful steelbook case for £14.99 REGION FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-...2d-3d-zavvi-exclusive-steelbook/11321634.html

The main reason I did purchase the OPPO UHD 205 with the Region Free chip was to procure all these wonderful 3D movies ONLY available in the UK, most of which ARE Region B. I just picked up Terminator 2* and The Mummy [region FREE] both in 2D/3D from Amazon UK and neither are announced in the US [as of yet], as available in 3D.

BTW, ZAVVI p/h to the states is absolutely minimal and they're unusually delivered within 10 working days.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Hi Def Digest review of the UK Region B 3D Import: https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/54365/erminator2judgmentday3dblurayukimport.html [post conversion created from original camera negative mastered at 4K]

Last edited:
Just bought the BDP-x800 on eBay for $120 including shipping (you might be able to haggle more for even cheaper) based on the recommendations here. I finally got a 3D TV (nice and cheap, a 3 year old plasma 1080P 3D!) and needed a real player since my PS3 only had single hdmi output (My Sony da-3300es doesn't deal well with 3D video so i needed to go direct in the tv without losing HD audio!) among other issues. I also just got the Hobbit 3D blu-ray boxset! Will be giving it a spin very soon, but the x800 looks much better than the PS3 and using the Plex app through the Opera TV app blows the PS3's plex app out of the water (which was almost unusable).

Ubertrout, I did post this awhile back and the price was reduced even further: 2 Star Trek 3D Movies and a 2D movie [total 5 BD~Vs] in a beautiful steelbook case for £14.99 REGION FREE: https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-...2d-3d-zavvi-exclusive-steelbook/11321634.html

The main reason I did purchase the OPPO UHD 205 with the Region Free chip was to procure all these wonderful 3D movies ONLY available in the UK, most of which ARE Region B. I just picked up Terminator 2* and The Mummy [region FREE] both in 2D/3D from Amazon UK and neither are announced in the US [as of yet], as available in 3D.

BTW, ZAVVI p/h to the states is absolutely minimal and they're unusually delivered within 10 working days.

Terminator 2: Judgment Day: Hi Def Digest review of the UK Region B 3D Import: https://bluray.highdefdigest.com/54365/erminator2judgmentday3dblurayukimport.html [post conversion created from original camera negative mastered at 4K]

I'm trying to avoid going as overboard with movies as I have with music, so I'll stick to getting the domestic basics cheaply. Some of the prices when the stuff goes OOP are impressive, though. It gives me inordinate joy that my copy of the Hobbit Trilogy in 3D is the now-scarce US version, rather than the common EU version. Ditto Dr. Strange etc.

I'm trying to avoid going as overboard with movies as I have with music, so I'll stick to getting the domestic basics cheaply. Some of the prices when the stuff goes OOP are impressive, though. It gives me inordinate joy that my copy of the Hobbit Trilogy in 3D is the now-scarce US version, rather than the common EU version. Ditto Dr. Strange etc.

Totally understandable.

Zavvi, like American BD~V reissue company, Twilight Time*, only produces limited edition steelbooks and they sell out quickly, especially the 3D variety.

I wonder how much longer we'll see 3D at all since all the new flatscreens omit it.

*Twilight Time does NOT produce steelbook BD~V editions but their BD~Vs, quality wise, are akin to Criterion editions and do include a few 3D BD~Vs: https://www.twilighttimemovies.com

With "net neutrality" gone, I fear my bandwidth with that would price me out any possibility of owning :mad:

One could argue that there never was "net neutrality"...but I don't want to do that in this post...I posted that 8k article for interest only...8k in the US is meaningless...we can't even support "real" 4k and won't be able to in the near future..I might jump on that 77inch LG OLED later this year if the price continues to fall...I'll still keep my 65 inch plasma for the majority of my viewing.. as OLED still has motion problems...but the 77 would be great for movies on 4k blu ray discs...

One could argue that there never was "net neutrality"...but I don't want to do that in this post...I posted that 8k article for interest only...8k in the US is meaningless...we can't even support "real" 4k and won't be able to in the near future..I might jump on that 77inch LG OLED later this year if the price continues to fall...I'll still keep my 65 inch plasma for the majority of my viewing.. as OLED still has motion problems...but the 77 would be great for movies on 4k blu ray discs...

Right on, Clint and in the same vein, I'm going to splurge on the Barco 5K projector [handmade in Norway] which dispenses with pricey bulbs instead relying on Lasers for illumination. You only live once and in the real world, James Bond would've been dead in Doctor NO and would never have had the chance to LIVE TWICE!

And Clint, if you're serious, start buying up 3D movies NOW before they fetch BIGGER BUCKS and even consider a Region Free UHD BD player as there are lots of 3D titles ONLY being released abroad which are region B, C etc. http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-oppo-udp-205-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-player.html

I really love my new Sony UPB-X800 4k Blu ray player. I loved everything about it except one small thing. The open drawer button the unit. It just blends into the front panel so well it is hard to find at night and even in the day time. I have a real nice label maker that I use to label all the wires on my system and it has white labels so I printed an Open label and applied it to the button and now I have no problems finding the button in the dark. Open button.jpg

I really love my new Sony UPB-X800 4k Blu ray player. I loved everything about it except one small thing. The open drawer button the unit. It just blends into the front panel so well it is hard to find at night and even in the day time. I have a real nice label maker that I use to label all the wires on my system and it has white labels so I printed an Open label and applied it to the button and now I have no problems finding the button in the dark.View attachment 31682

Good idea, Tom but my solution is to always keep the X~800 remote control handy. Wish I could see in the dark. It is a great little unit.

I really love my new Sony UPB-X800 4k Blu ray player. I loved everything about it except one small thing. The open drawer button the unit. It just blends into the front panel so well it is hard to find at night and even in the day time. I have a real nice label maker that I use to label all the wires on my system and it has white labels so I printed an Open label and applied it to the button and now I have no problems finding the button in the dark.View attachment 31682

The one problem I find annoying and maybe it’s just because I haven’t figured out whether not it has an LCD display :confused: I use a lot for music only in the spare room and don’t like the idea of having to turn display on to see where I’m at kids a drag.. But what a fine solid little player 150.00 :yikes yeah and I to keep the remote handy.

Good idea, Tom but my solution is to always keep the X~800 remote control handy. Wish I could see in the dark. It is a great little unit.
I always have the remote next to me when I am sitting down in my chair. However sometimes I walk into the room and want to load a disc before I sit down. I don't use it often but when I do it is a wonderful idea. Yes it is a great unit.

The one problem I find annoying and maybe it’s just because I haven’t figured out whether not it has an LCD display :confused: I use a lot for music only in the spare room and don’t like the idea of having to turn display on to see where I’m at kids a drag.. But what a fine solid little player 150.00 :yikes yeah and I to keep the remote handy.
I just leave the TV on when I am listening to audio only. It hardly uses any power at all.

As a baby boomer I was raised on Three Stooges and Laurel and Hardy movies on TV. I recently bought LH box set and a bunch of 3 Stooges discs. I know this sounds stupid to have a 3D TV with 7.1 sound and be buying old B&W mono videos, but I love them. And they look really good. Most were sourced from the original negative so they don't look like snow storms. Anyhow, in the good news bad news department I discovered that the 3 Stooges actually made two movies in 3D in 1953 (Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire) and both are on the disc. However they are red/blue and very poorly done. Which is sad because they would be very cool if done right. They throw pies at the screen, Moe finger pokes the screen, pitchforks at the screen and everything else they could think of. Both of these are on YouTube if you want to check them out. Three stooges.jpg

the 3 Stooges actually made two movies in 3D in 1953 (Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire) and both are on the disc. However they are red/blue and very poorly done.

They're in proper 3D on "The Mad Magician" Blu-ray, where the resolution is so good that you can see the wire used to pull off at least one gag.

They're in proper 3D on "The Mad Magician" Blu-ray, where the resolution is so good that you can see the wire used to pull off at least one gag.

Well I looked it up on Amazon and there is no mention of the Three Stooges. I looked it up on IMDB and they are not mentioned in the cast and crew section. I have a very thick book of all the Three Stooges movies and it is not mentioned. Is this the real Three Stooges, Larry Moe and Shemp?

Back