3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am one happy camper. I really love my LG OLED 55 inch 3D TV. I think it is the best TV on the market. However I think the 'magic' remote that comes with it is a magic POS. The best TV with the worst remote. I would accidentally push an unwanted button several times a day. It did not feel good in my hand and has a confusing button layout. Then I discovered replacement that solves all these problems and adds a few buttons. It costs $11 and works perfectly right out of the box with no setup required.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182VIV36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am one happy camper. I really love my LG OLED 55 inch 3D TV. I think it is the best TV on the market. However I think the 'magic' remote that comes with it is a magic POS. The best TV with the worst remote. I would accidentally push an unwanted button several times a day. It did not feel good in my hand and has a confusing button layout. Then I discovered replacement that solves all these problems and adds a few buttons. It costs $11 and works perfectly right out of the box with no setup required.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0182VIV36/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love my LG 55" OLED 3D TV, too and I've kinda gotten used to the remote even with its quirks. At least it's small enough to fit in with my other more gangly remotes.

Glad you finally resolved the issues with the TV. It is pretty astounding.

If only I had invested in the 77".....but at $20K.......kinda ridiculous! Especially if it did break down and they couldn't offer an equivalent 3D replacement.:yikes

One of the things that I really like about the remote is the fact that they eliminated that stupid pointer thingy. It is light weight but very solid. I love the fact it sits on the arm of my recliner without falling off every time I move and I never get dumb 'Set up Universal Control' dialogue message at least twice a day from accidently pushing that button. I have no desire to get the 77 inch one. If I wanted the screen to be larger I would simply move it closer to me. But at the current distance it provides an awesome viewing experience.

I did have a bizarre thing happen. When I turned on the TV it also turns on the Blu Ray player. I would turn on the TV, select the input I want and about a minute later the Blu Ray player controls would be up on the screen and I would have to select the input a second time. Well I had a problem with motion on the screen, especially baseballs. When someone hit a fly to the outfield the ball would look funny. Not as a solid ball but like it was a ghost. I finally found the controls for TruMotion and turned it off and now the ball is solid the whole time and the BR player doesn't come on automatically. It doesn't make any sense but then again the problem did not make any sense.

"OLED panels are mostly found in some high-end TVs, several Android smartphones, and most recently in the Apple iPhone X.

In general, OLED panels are better than LCD (liquid crystal display) panels in almost every way. They offer incredibly rich color reproduction compared to LCD panels you'd find in older Android phones and the iPhone 8, as well as better contrast between bright and dark areas.

OLED panels can also reproduce a perfect black color because the pixels displaying the color black will actually turn off entirely. When an LCD panel displays the color black, it tends to appear more gray because the entire LCD panel is constantly backlit, even when there's the color black being displayed. The liquid crystals in front of an LCD panel's backlight can't block out the backlight entirely, and thus the color black can rarely ever be properly reproduced.

By allowing pixels to turn off entirely for the color black, OLED panels can improve the battery life of mobile devices, too, especially when viewing darker content."

"And because OLED-type displays turn off entirely when displaying the color black, it allows for the "always-on" mode on smartphones, where a phone can display the time and other basic information on the lock screen without using up much battery."

http://www.businessinsider.com/what...0/#poled-is-part-of-the-oled-display-family-1

OLED sets offer great performance, no doubt. One of the things I worried about is burn-in, though. My previous set, a Samsung plasma that had an incredible picture with better motion than either OLED or LCD, developed burn-in from some banners of a particular channel I watched. If you never watch channels with banners or logos, you don't have to worry about it. I'm happy with my 75-inch LCD, even though it does have some drawbacks. 4K with HDR is stunning. If/when a projector with the same capabilities becomes available at a reasonable price, I'll be all over it.

OLED sets offer great performance, no doubt. One of the things I worried about is burn-in, though. My previous set, a Samsung plasma that had an incredible picture with better motion than either OLED or LCD, developed burn-in from some banners of a particular channel I watched. If you never watch channels with banners or logos, you don't have to worry about it. I'm happy with my 75-inch LCD, even though it does have some drawbacks. 4K with HDR is stunning. If/when a projector with the same capabilities becomes available at a reasonable price, I'll be all over it.

The Plasma TVs did suffer from burn in but the OLEDs don't [thankfully]. Was just reading in the current issue of Sound/Vision that the new SONY XBR-65AE1 OLED panel TVs also utilize the panels as speakers....hmm...but NO 3D.

I've with you on the projector. IF ONLY it could have the stunning resolution and below black levels of the OLED it would be a slam dunk purchase but apparently that technology may be a few years off. I'd settle for a 100" OLED panel [but at what cost?] The LG 77" OLEDs with 3D listed at $20K!:yikes

The Plasma TVs did suffer from burn in but the OLEDs don't [thankfully].

I bought one of the last plasma sets, and by that time, the industry and most technology writers and Joe Schmoes on the Internet assured anyone who would listen or read that burn-in was a thing of the past for plasma displays. It wasn't true. Not everyone who owned a plasma set developed burn-in, just as not every owner of an OLED set will. Depending on your viewing habits, it should be a consideration, though.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-general/2804065-oled-screen-burn-photos.html

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/permanent-image-retention-burn-in-lcd-oled

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...arning-all-current-future-oled-tv-owners.html

Now, if OLEDs become more reasonable in the screen size/price ratio, I'll definitely consider one just for watching movies.

I bought one of the last plasma sets, and by that time, the industry and most technology writers and Joe Schmoes on the Internet assured anyone who would listen or read that burn-in was a thing of the past for plasma displays. It wasn't true. Not everyone who owned a plasma set developed burn-in, just as not every owner of an OLED set will. Depending on your viewing habits, it should be a consideration, though.

I just pause the screen on a commercial break if I'm needing to go to the loo. ..... All black screen or switch channels if I've watching a recorded program, to be safe not pause on anything that may cause ghosting issues.

Why is it the us still has 3D cinemas but doesn't release 3D in the Blu-Ray sets. I have to buy my movies from the UK, the most recent Salazar's Revenge.:howl

I just pause the screen on a commercial break if I'm needing to go to the loo. ..... All black screen or switch channels if I've watching a recorded program, to be safe not pause on anything that may cause ghosting issues.

Burn-in can be caused by pausing, I suppose, but it can also be caused by watching programming that has banners or logos on the screen.

OLED is a semi-conductor technology (current flow through an organic material causes light to be emitted) so won't exhibit the image retention problem that could occur with CRT and Plasma (which is very similar technically to the old CRT, i.e. reliant on high energy electrons striking aphosphor). Brightness & colour balance will degrade slowly with time.

I have not had any problems with burn in on my OLED.

I had been following this thread when it started, and have just finished getting caught back up (whew!).

W-a-y back on page one, HDave mentioned "TV scam marts of New Jersey". I'll openly admit I don't know what he means, what that reputation is. Can anybody fill me in?
I've got a 2010 Samsung 3-D television that works fine, but all the talk about OLED 3-D televisions has got me thinking about picking up one of the few remaining LG 55"
models (OLED55C6P).

I had been following this thread when it started, and have just finished getting caught back up (whew!).

W-a-y back on page one, HDave mentioned "TV scam marts of New Jersey". I'll openly admit I don't know what he means, what that reputation is. Can anybody fill me in?
I've got a 2010 Samsung 3-D television that works fine, but all the talk about OLED 3-D televisions has got me thinking about picking up one of the few remaining LG 55"
models (OLED55C6P).

There are a group of online retailers operating out of NJ offering deals too good to be true along with bait and switch pricing. East Coast tv, Joes AV, Abe's etc. Shop carefully because your looking for the 2016 model of a curved 3D OLED. Check reviews and good luck it may be the only way to get that model. I've seen my model advertised for 4999.00 and bought it for 1795.00 at local ABC Warehouse this spring before the 2017 models arrived.

Thanks HDave, time for a little more research - to make sure I'm not only looking at the correct model but correct model year too. I had interpreted the thread as indicating that units made in model year 2017 were the last to be 3-D, not model year 2016. A number of those retailers popped up last night while quickly looking. I might be a little too late to the decision of picking up a curved OLED 3-D television.

Thanks HDave, time for a little more research - to make sure I'm not only looking at the correct model but correct model year too. I had interpreted the thread as indicating that units made in model year 2017 were the last to be 3-D, not model year 2016. A number of those retailers popped up last night while quickly looking. I might be a little too late to the decision of picking up a curved OLED 3-D television.

Unfortunately, LG [and ALL other TV manufacturers] ceased the production of 3D sets in 2016.

Your best bet is to make some phone calls and ascertain whether any of the retailers might have one in stock.

Just make sure they're brand new and come with some sort of warranty and are not refurbished items.

Unfortunately, LG [and ALL other TV manufacturers] ceased the production of 3D sets in 2016.

Your best bet is to make some phone calls and ascertain whether any of the retailers might have one in stock.

Just make sure they're brand new and come with some sort of warranty and are not refurbished items.

I buy lots of refurbished items and I have never had a problem with one. My current 3D TV has been repaired twice, new motherboard and new panel so it is essentially refurbished. I would take a refurbished over new any day, they are cheaper.

I just received a pre-release copy of a new 3D release that is actually a 65 year old Black and White film called "Cease Fire", which was filmed in 1953 in Korea at the end of the Korean "Conflict". I have to admit I did not know what to expect, both content wise and 3D effect, but I have to say - this was an amazing film. The 3D is outstanding, far better than many of the modern 3D BluRays that have come out over the years. This 3D grabs you right from the get go, and the opening scenes and text are amazing. It was like some of the title screens were in the middle of my room.

Anyway, the sound is 3 Channel and very realistic, as is the film, as it uses not actors - just real US soldiers from that arena at the time. There are no sets, no fake arms, no fake ammo, real tanks, real planes - it's all real. (Well, the script is a script, and at the end it gets a bit Rah-Rah USA, but that's cool with me!)

The restoration of this Paramount release is spectacular. Totally clear, totally realistic, and the 3D does not distract from the film at all - which is what it should do. It enhances it.

The film begins with an address by a General that has more ribbons than a Christmas Store Display Window, and what he says to the audience rings true to this very day - especially in light of the stuff going on with North Korea recently.

If you love 3D, and if you like realism, you should really check this one out. It's not something you'll watch a million times, but the first viewing is well worth while, and if you have a grandparent or parent that was around during that time, I bet they would love to see it. I know my Dad would have, but he's no longer here.

All 3D fans should at least read about this film here: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/cease-fire

It is getting a BluRay 3D release this month (11/21). It gets a big thumbs up from me.

Amazon Tag-Free Link: https://www.amazon.com/Cease-Fire-Roy-Thompson-Jr/dp/B075DXZS8V

Back