3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're expecting anything akin to the first Ridley Scott directed Blade Runner I'm afraid there will be major disappointment.

Blade Runner 2049 is a post conversion 3D affair and while there's depth in every scene, nothing screams this movie should've been released in 3D.*

While the acting is competent the script is, IMO, lacking and in no way embraces the spirit of the original. And sadly, none of the characters are in any way memorable [actually rather bland] and although Edward James Olmos makes a brief cameo and Harrison Ford is prominently featured in the film's second half, all I can add is that someone really should've done their homework when considering such a lackluster remake based on a bona fide cult classic.

Would love to see a post 3D conversion of the original. Now, that would be special.

*LG OLED 3D monitor/OPPO UDP 205 utilizing a Shunyata Research Venom HDMI cable inserted directly into the LG Monitor

Thanks, had been curious, but when even the cinematographer for BL2049 is quoted as seeing it in 2-D is best, that tends not to be a good sign.

It's a shame, as Sir Ridley had put some real thought into the 3-D in PROMETHEUS (2012) .. Even clips of Lawrence of Arabia were shown in depth!

Thanks, had been curious, but when even the cinematographer for BL2049 is quoted as seeing it in 2-D is best, that tends not to be a good sign.

It's a shame, as Sir Ridley had put some real thought into the 3-D in PROMETHEUS (2012) .. Even clips of Lawrence of Arabia were shown in depth!

My advice would be to see it at some point [cable TV or download] as some AmazonUS reviewers awarded it 5*s alluding to the fact that some viewers "simply didn't get IT." I got it but it's more of a talkfest with some intriguing premises but not enough to warrant the name BLADE RUNNER [2049]. The Scott original was truly superb and had some incredibly memorable characters and set pieces and IMO, fully earned it's cult status [after a lukewarm reception when originally released].

Furthermore, it doesn't remotely seem that BR2049 was in any way, shape or form shot with 3D in mind, hence the cinematographer's advice to view it in 2D.

The 3D does not detract from the superb image on screen but the bland, bleak landscapes of 2049 Los Angeles with snow falling during much of the film [the BEST 3D effect, BTW] offer VERY little, if any, eye candy....save for the way cool executive office of Niander Wallace [Jared Leto].

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, which opens with David Bowie's Space Oddity is a visually arresting feast for the eyes in REAL 3D and the latest Sci Fi romp from French visionary director Luc Besson who also brought us the delightful cult classics The Fifth Element, Léon the Professional, The Big Blue and Subway. An eclectic cast consisting of Dane DeHann, former model Cara Delevingne, Clive Owen, a wonderful performance by Rhianna*, Ethan Hawke and composer Herbie Hancock bring this comic book adaptation to life in one of the most visually astonishing films to date.

Unfortunately, this exquisite 3D version is region B, only, and includes a 2D version as well. The Zavvi steelbook 3D version which I own is apparently SOLD OUT.

For those of you with multi region players, I highly recommend you add this title to your collection https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/valer...-planets-3d-includes-2d-version/11525075.html

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/nrmrwc0ptvso2xu0d9ma.jpg

*http://www.blackfilm.com/read/wp-co...Thousand-Planets-Character-Poster-Rihanna.jpg

Last edited:
I am a little surprised to see this coming soon, next Mission Impossible in 3D. I guess it is not quite dead yet.

Fallout.jpg

For those who own the Sony UBP-X800 player, note that the latest Sony 4K model the UBP-X700 is a one step forward, one step back design.

Both offer 3-D bluray playback with a 3-D capable display.

The UBP-X700 adds Dolby-Vision HDR support, but removes MLP DVD-Audio playback which is available in the UBP-X800.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x700

For those who own the Sony UBP-X800 player, note that the latest Sony 4K model the UBP-X700 is a one step forward, one step back design.

The UBP-X700 adds Dolby-Vision HDR support, but removes MLP DVD-Audio playback which is available in the UBP-X800.

Interesting but puzzling! I realize DVD~A is a dead format but why they just didn't port it over into the new player is just plain silly since the R & D and chipset were already in place.

As for Dolby Vision: It's just beginning to be incorporated into the newer 4K discs but 4K discs aren't exactly breaking any records in the sales department and a lot of them are still being released as UPSCALED 2K and to be perfectly honest, the titles the majors are releasing are disappointing.

When contemplating purchasing 4K discs, consult this website to determine whether they are REAL or FAKE 4K: http://realorfake4k.com

My newly acquired OPPO UHD 205 now has Dolby Vision due to a recent firmware upgrade but my 2016 LG 3D OLED TV is still awaiting an upgrade which I understand is in the works [see post #485 on this thread].

Last edited:
Interesting but puzzling! I realize DVD~A is a dead format but why they just didn't port it over into the new player is just plain silly since the R & D and chipset were already in place.

Licensing fees, I suspect, coupled with minuscule demand. The best way to insulate yourself against this stuff is to rip all of your media and put all the bits on a NAS (network attached storage). About five years ago when I was getting into the hobby, I made the decisions not to buy any disc player beyond the Blu-ray player I already owned. I don't regret the decision one bit.

I was going to post that same observation the other day...that's classic Sony:(

Licensing fees, I suspect, coupled with minuscule demand. The best way to insulate yourself against this stuff is to rip all of your media and put all the bits on a NAS (network attached storage). About five years ago when I was getting into the hobby, I made the decisions not to buy any disc player beyond the Blu-ray player I already owned. I don't regret the decision one bit.

I'm sad to say that I'm almost to that point...I'd rather have a root canal done than get involved with any computer/storage device applications...but it seems I will have to sooner or later...I've been doing research lately on the topic...I have zero computer skills....the one good thing is there are many on here that can help me...but it's not something I look forward to...but the reality is that physical discs are going away...and when they close down a pressing plant...the machines that play those discs will go away as well..

I'm sad to say that I'm almost to that point...I'd rather have a root canal done than get involved with any computer/storage device applications...but it seems I will have to sooner or later...I've been doing research lately on the topic...I have zero computer skills....the one good thing is there are many on here that can help me...but it's not something I look forward to...but the reality is that physical discs are going away...and when they close down a pressing plant...the machines that play those discs will go away as well..

That of course will be inevitable but I'm at a junction in my life when video has become my primary focus [NETFLIX, 3D/4K] and as I have literally thousands and thousands of music albums in almost every conceivable format and have frankly been disgusted of late at the plethora of LOSSY 5.1 remasters [Sorry....but I AM], I'm sure I too will get involved in downloading music.........but will be picky, picky.

It's funny how since my system has improved, I go back to DVD~A albums which I haven't listened to in a long time and am enjoying them all over ago......IN FULL MLP resolution and gasp at some of the shit the majors are throwing at us in 2018.

The fact that the majors could never quite decide on a unified format and have been messing with their masters for so long....wonder if the term DEFINITIVE remaster will EVER apply? And that, I'm sure, applies to downloads, as well.

I'm one of those people who has ripped essentially nothing (except rarer classical CDs). I just don't have the kind of time it takes to do so - usually 20-30 minutes per disc in my experience, plus other considerations. I'm sticking to discs for things like 3D, and I use Vudu to watch movies from the cloud - the dollar or 3 per movie (or free, in the case of new releases) is less than the time value of ripping the disc to me.

I'm not averse to downloads - I get a lot of music from eclassical, for instance. But the time sink is a killer, at least for me.

That of course will be inevitable but I'm at a junction in my life when video has become my primary focus [NETFLIX, 3D/4K] and as I have literally thousands and thousands of music albums in almost every conceivable format and have frankly been disgusted of late at the plethora of LOSSY 5.1 remasters [Sorry....but I AM], I'm sure I too will get involved in downloading music.........but will be picky, picky.

It's funny how since my system has improved, I go back to DVD~A albums which I haven't listened to in a long time and am enjoying them all over ago......IN FULL MLP resolution and gasp at some of the shit the majors are throwing at us in 2018.

The fact that the majors could never quite decide on a unified format and have been messing with their masters for so long....wonder if the term DEFINITIVE remaster will EVER apply? And that, I'm sure, applies to downloads, as well.

My trajectory has been the reverse...I started in video and when plasma exited the market place I lost interest and shifted to audio...if OLED continues to improve I might go back to video...especially when the physical audio discs go away..I have enough music to last a long time...the problem with ripping the music is it's so "clinical"...when I moved from vinyl I missed the beautiful art on the covers...and if I move from physical discs...those pretty box sets will be gone and all I'm left with is a storage container:(..I like having a tangible object on my shelf...and believe it or not...I like the "hunt"...tracking down the object of my prey...the group discussions on here about the disc...instead I get instant "gratification" which isn't really gratifying at all...just a click and it's downloaded...

It just sucks that they're dropping support for DVD-Audio with the X700. I'm strongly considering getting a cheap DV/4K transport, and putting my BDP-93 back in the rack. Seems like a much cheaper option than springing for a Oppo 203. I'll probably sell or give away the X800 when this is done.

It just sucks that they're dropping support for DVD-Audio with the X700. I'm strongly considering getting a cheap DV/4K transport, and putting my BDP-93 back in the rack. Seems like a much cheaper option than springing for a Oppo 203. I'll probably sell or give away the X800 when this is done.

Ubertrout, I'm sure the SONY X800 is a better player [and MORE versatile] than the OPPO BDP~93. No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision but neither does the OPPO and to be honest, MOST all of the 4K discs do not yet have dolby vision [but they do have HDR which the SONY recognizes].

SONY dropping MLP DVD~A in the new player does suck but it probably behooves SONY to have to pay royalty fees for a technology they had NOTHING TO DO WITH....despite the fact we still live in a PCM [and NOT DSD] world(n)(n)

My trajectory has been the reverse...I started in video and when plasma exited the market place I lost interest and shifted to audio...if OLED continues to improve I might go back to video...especially when the physical audio discs go away..I have enough music to last a long time...the problem with ripping the music is it's so "clinical"...when I moved from vinyl I missed the beautiful art on the covers...and if I move from physical discs...those pretty box sets will be gone and all I'm left with is a storage container:(..I like having a tangible object on my shelf...and believe it or not...I like the "hunt"...tracking down the object of my prey...the group discussions on here about the disc...instead I get instant "gratification" which isn't really gratifying at all...just a click and it's downloaded...

To be perfectly clear, CLINT, I've owned 2 Plasma TVs and in my very honest opinion, the OLEDs blow them away in every conceivable parameter [including the inky, inky black levels]. Once LG gets the DOLBY VISION thingy sorted out, it should be a serious contender although the 2017/2018 models will not do 3D which is one of the absolute highlights of the 2016 models.

Also, regarding downloading: As you waxed nostalgic about those awesome LP covers and gatefolds [which I also miss in spades], what you are really getting with downloads are soulless replicas of the music in resolutions no one is quite sure of and from questionable sources, as well. :yikes

Ubertrout, I'm sure the SONY X800 is a better player [and MORE versatile] than the OPPO BDP~93. No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision but neither does the OPPO and to be honest, MOST all of the 4K discs do not yet have dolby vision [but they do have HDR which the SONY recognizes].

SONY dropping MLP DVD~A in the new player does suck but it probably behooves SONY to have to pay royalty fees for a technology they had NOTHING TO DO WITH....despite the fact we still live in a PCM [and NOT DSD] world(n)(n)

To be clear, I indicated I'd get a cheap 4K DV player to go with the Oppo.

Also, the DVD-Audio Patents mostly expire this year, with a few lingering into 2019 or 2020. Wonder if the format will have a bit of a revival then.

It seems Hollywood and their sister companies, the major three record conglomerates don't want to part with their MASTERS.....PERIOD.

Instead they have given us a lot of 2K mastered UHD 4K [talk about an oxymoron] releases without Dolby Vision just as their sister music companies are giving us LOSSY 5.1 codecs with their newer, increasingly pricier releases.

And if you read the comments at the bottom of the article which Clint kindly provided, VUDU 4K streaming fails to equal even the 2K mastered UHD 4K discs.

So, what gives?

I'm sure a LOT of posters at QQ are tired of my chronic whining about LOSSY anything....but it seems highly plausible that the PLOT which is unfolding is that once all these Media whores DO give us the SUPREME Masters....then really, what's left for them? Which is why I call these remasters, especially the lossy ones, FACSIMILES of the originals....because TRULY and HONESTLY, that's REALLY WHAT THEY ARE.

The name of the song evades me but the lyrics go something like "You LEARN to SETTLE for what you get. GET It?

Back