3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I'm interested in gaming or Playstation VR [virtual reality] but perused this very recent article from blu~ray.com concerning SONY's addition of 3D capability (but NO 4K) to the format:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=20974

My question. Will SONY continue to release the occasional 3D BD~V to nourish this beast which has ONLY recently added 3D to the format?

Coming March 31st in a special 3D version: http://www.deepdiscount.com/one-more-time-with-feeling/5060454947578

Also contains Caves' Skeleton Key, the sixteenth studio album from Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds presumably in BD~A quality 5.1.

From director Andrew Dominik whose credits include Chopper, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Killing Me Softly.

Crutchfield is carrying the LG 65" Curved OLED flat screen [3D] for $3K https://www.crutchfield.com/p_68965...arch=LG_65"_Curved_OLED_flat_screens&skipvs=T

Hey, umm...has anybody had the foresight to come up with a specific list of the model numbers of the last of the OLEDs that one might conceivably find tucked back in a corner somewhere still awaiting a customer? Particularly, the model numbers of the ones that might not say anything about 3D on the carton...?

I dunno, just "blue-sky'ing" here...

Hey, umm...has anybody had the foresight to come up with a specific list of the model numbers of the last of the OLEDs that one might conceivably find tucked back in a corner somewhere still awaiting a customer? Particularly, the model numbers of the ones that might not say anything about 3D on the carton...?

I dunno, just "blue-sky'ing" here...

If you visit, for instance, the Crutchfield website, usually the tell tale sign it's 3D ready is the inclusion of 2 pairs of 3D glasses . LG's 77" 3D $20K model is no longer available [sigh!] but their 55" and 65" 2016 models are still available and cheaper than ever. The 2017 models will not be equipped to handle 3D so they're off the table.

BTW, Deep Discount is having their 15% off sale [w/free shipping over $25] until March 31st....CODE: ROTWANG

They have a bunch of 3D movies that with the 15% off sale are eminently affordable. Buy 'em while you can.:banana:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/search?mod=AV&q=3D&ft=3D Blu-ray

Like most of you, I have been enjoying 3D TV for since it came out.
I have loved watching 3D at home. Dr. Strange is great in 3D.

My 2 cents here...I think there are 2 things that is killing 3D. 1. the "active" 3D glasses. They cost so damn much to buy extra's. Including a pair with your purchase of an active 3D TV is great for couples but not for family's where you have to buy more. I was completely satisfied with my "passive" 3D TV. I was able to buy 16 extra 3D glasses for something like $10 or $20. 2. The other thing I think is killing 3D is the high prices for 3D Blu Ray sets. Why do they have to market these as 4 disc sets all the time. I mean $40 for the first Avengers movie in 3D BR, BR, DVD and digital formats. Why do I need the DVD? I don't. So why is this so damn expensive. If they are saving money by including all formats in one package then they are pillaging our wallets for sure.

By the way, in case you all didn't know this as I don't remember seeing it mentioned here yet (I might have missed it while reading this thread), VUDU offers 3D versions of most available titles. It was the only way I could get Frozen in 3D without having to get an out of country version. There are most recent and a lot of older titles available on the service and in some instances, you can download your purchases to avoid the streaming aspect of it.

Like most of you, I have been enjoying 3D TV for since it came out.
I have loved watching 3D at home. Dr. Strange is great in 3D.

My 2 cents here...I think there are 2 things that is killing 3D. 1. the "active" 3D glasses. They cost so damn much to buy extra's. Including a pair with your purchase of an active 3D TV is great for couples but not for family's where you have to buy more. I was completely satisfied with my "passive" 3D TV. I was able to buy 16 extra 3D glasses for something like $10 or $20. 2. The other thing I think is killing 3D is the high prices for 3D Blu Ray sets. Why do they have to market these as 4 disc sets all the time. I mean $40 for the first Avengers movie in 3D BR, BR, DVD and digital formats. Why do I need the DVD? I don't. So why is this so damn expensive. If they are saving money by including all formats in one package then they are pillaging our wallets for sure.

By the way, in case you all didn't know this as I don't remember seeing it mentioned here yet (I might have missed it while reading this thread), VUDU offers 3D versions of most available titles. It was the only way I could get Frozen in 3D without having to get an out of country version. There are most recent and a lot of older titles available on the service and in some instances, you can download your purchases to avoid the streaming aspect of it.

Yes, those 'active' 3D glasses are ridiculously expensive. Thankfully, LG's new OLED TVs come with cheaper and lighter and more affordable passive ones.

Regarding the cost of 3D BD~Vs: If you DO buy them day/date of release you're insane. The prices come way down if you're willing to wait approximately a month or two [or three] . Regarding Doctor Strange: Yes, some of those 3D movies [the HOT ones, anyway] can disappear quickly. Out of desperation, I did buy it for $30 from Best Buy only because Amazon sold out and now it's going for a premium [$65]. I did, however, manage to buy Rogue Wars: A Star Wars Story in the 'very limited' steel book edition from Best Buy for around $30. A very cool package and worth every penny.

My friend who gets me my equipment called me today: He can procure an LG 77" Curved OLED 3D TV for $11K [down from $20K]. My dilemma: do I want it or do I want to buy a 3D projector. Reading Sound & Vision this month [page 34], they have a state of the art UHD 4K JVC DLA~RS4500 DILA, 3D capable projector for $35K* list which supposedly does exceptional 3D. But like all current JVCs, the bulb replacement is pricey [$400~$500] and those bulbs do start to dim after about 1500 hours [suggested bulb life is approximately 2000 hours]. I can probably install a 120" Stewart film screen when I get my listening room reconfigured.....so it's 77" vs. 120." Talk about decisions?:yikes

[My current Meridian/JVC 2K DILA Projector listed for $37K and I paid $16K for it and I could've bought a second one for $6K but opted NOT to]. The mark~up on those projectors is INSANE.

Yes, those 'active' 3D glasses are ridiculously expensive. Thankfully, LG's new OLED TVs come with cheaper and lighter and more affordable passive ones.

On my son's 50" LG 3D Plasma took actives and not a single one was even included ? And they cost $69.99 each, bought one with the purchase and another later on. Also you had to charge them and if it was a movie over 2.5 hours long you'll get close to needing a recharge. My LG a Passive came with 6 pair in box.

Passive glasses are less expensive, but you should be aware you're losing half the vertical resolution (540 instead of 1080).

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/3d-tvs-active-3d-vs-passive-3d

I've been able to get aftermarket active glasses for reasonable prices, and I've never had a pair not last through a movie. To each his own. :cool:

There it is a matter of Quality vs. Cost. And while a lot of sales pitches pushed the active glasses, the price per set of glasses is what turned a lot of people off on the 3D. I remember getting my 3d TV and asking friends if they were going to get 3D TV's. Most if not all of them said they would not because the glasses cost too much. That indicated to me that they were not offered or informed properly of their choices. I knew at the time of my purchase that the quality would not be the same as the active glasses but I wanted the 3d and bought what I could afford.

I would love to buy a new 4K 3D TV but I cannot justify it while I have a working 3D TV already.

After reading this thread, I went out and started looking for 3D BR movies that I had wanted to see what was available. I was stunned at the lack of choices I saw at Best Buy and started picking up what I could that was on my 3D want list. I have ordered some from Amazon and have gone into our local media resale shop to see what they had as well.
the 3D shelves in the stores are getting smaller and smaller.:(

I thought you were talking about LG in which 3D is only available as a curved model. I did not compare them both. The curve is meaningless to me. The 3D is why I bought the set.

Actually you are 100% right.

Found out today that the store assistant provided wrong info. The 55 inch LG only has 3D in the curved model.

Corrected the mistake by upgrading to Curved.

The same guy (1st store) also tried selling me floor stock prior saying OLED screens never have an equivalent to 'lamp hours' in terms of longevity/burn out.

Should've heeded the warning signs back then.

If you live in Melbourne and seek OLED 3D, then i suggest you invest soon and buy as there is literrally only a handful of non-floorstock sets remaining.... Perhaps ever.

Actually you are 100% right.

Found out today that the store assistant provided wrong info. The 55 inch LG only has 3D in the curved model.

Corrected the mistake by upgrading to Curved.

The same guy (1st store) also tried selling me floor stock prior saying OLED screens never have an equivalent to 'lamp hours' in terms of longevity/burn out.

Should've heeded the warning signs back then.

If you live in Melbourne and seek OLED 3D, then i suggest you invest soon and buy as there is literrally only a handful of non-floorstock sets remaining.... Perhaps ever.
The E series has 3D & is flat. I own a 65", but the 55" has it also. At least in the US it is available, I don't know about Aus.

I hope everyone here has signed the petition for LG to keep making 3D sets; it has over 10,000 signatures now but every additional one helps! The reasons their people gave for discontinuing 3D are just plain ridiculous- I wasn't planning on buying another TV for a while, but after this news I got their 75-inch 4K model with 3D since the Sharp TV I had previously didn't do 3D that well. By using non-powered passive glasses, this really makes most of the complaints about the glasses a moot point and the picture is a lot BRIGHTER than my Sharp was!

Someone has also started a petition for Samsung, it only has 66 signatures right now so please also sign it: https://www.change.org/p/please-bri...sung-flagship-4k-tv-s?source_location=minibar

Also be sure to vote with your dollars- keep buying all the 3D Blu-Rays that are still coming out so they will keep putting out more, and don't buy any 2D versions of 3D movies! Watching a 3D movie in 2D is like watching a color movie in black and white!

I was at my local Best Buy Magnolia center the other day. I asked the salesman what the deal is with 3D and he said that oled looks so good there was no more need for 3d. Go figure.

Most Best Buy employees are idiots- I heard one of them near their ever-shrinking CD section saying "I don't even HAVE a CD player now!"

I was at my local Best Buy Magnolia center the other day. I asked the salesman what the deal is with 3D and he said that oled looks so good there was no more need for 3d. Go figure.

The irony of course being that OLED is still relatively expensive compared to other technologies and are NOT exactly flying off the shelves. SONY's new NON 3D crop of OLEDs are in the $5~6K range so go figure. People are able to purchase 70" non OLED TVs at their local Costco for under $1K.

IF we had these current LG OLED 3D 55/65" TVs five years ago, 3D might've had a chance but even those once highly vaulted Plasma TVs couldn't and didn't do 3D justice. Way too dark (even with THX calibration).

Best Buy, etc. are plowing those 3Ds OLED TVs off the shelves to make room for the newer 2017 NON 3D models which WILL be their bread and butter for the near future.

As I previously stated, with 8K, maybe 3D will make a comeback because at that resolution can you just imagine the 3D experience? Even 1080p on my current LG OLED is awesome!

And yes, to answer another poster, I have been buying as many 3D BD~Vs as possible to support the format so that more hopefully may be released in the near future and have found Amazon third party vendors the best and cheapest source of available titles. Even Deep Discount/ImportCDs are charging in the $30~$40 range so really, Amazon is the cheapest.

And I did sign the LG petition to [hopefully] keep the 3D format ALIVE. But, realistically, it's up to Hollywood to keep producing 3D titles if this is to become viable....and since their new push is releasing UHD 4K [without 3D], the future looks rather dim.

Talk about a conflict of technologies, the studios are STILL releasing DVDs and apparently they're selling like hotcakes or else they would've pulled the plug on THAT format long ago.

Bargain (?) alert:

Do you have an HH Gregg store near you? Are they going out of business? Is their store closing? Is everything must go? Am nothing will be held back, including the store furniture? Does are you gots extra money you can't afford to spend right now because it's Tax Deadline Season but that don't matter because this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to save line never before save save save and don't ask the guys in the store about the quality of the stuff left behind because all sales are final and they're probably a shell company working to liquidate the store now so they don't have to live up to any promises HH Gregg made?

Then, you're in luck, my friend! Because I dunno if it's happening everywhere at the same time, but our two Gregg stores are just about out of everything but the tissue in the bathroom towel dispensers now. And surprisingly, some of the merchandise not yet sold in the bare-bones roller-rink-sized stores includes...some of their big-a** demo-model teevees! That's right, the ones people come in and ogle at, but don't dare consider them because who knows how long those screens have been hangin' on that wall showing off their overloaded "demo" settings.

...on those not-quite-so-latest-models, which means they might juuuuusssst beeeee.....

So what did I find just yesterday? Oh, some Samsung, some LG, some other brands of car-garage-sized teevees...that DIDN'T say if they were 3D or not, didn't have any sales information or box blurbs that implied it, and didn't have a qualified pimply teenager with a lot of other things on his mind who could tell you, "hey, which of these are 3D" "Duhhh, I dunno. well lessee...ummm, this one says it's an 'Olay', and uhhh, this one says it's 'curved' or something - oh, yeah, there you can see, it looks like it's bent this way or something..."

Walk in there with your cell/smart/digital/picture-takey phone. Snap some pictures of the model numbers, features, size and sales blurbs. You are going to save 50, maybe 60, and doubtful but ya never know by Sunday afternoon - 70 percent. As long as you're there, use the phone to look up the models, maybe on Amazon, where you'll see whether you can get a better price on these sale prices (nope - you won't), and read-up to see if any of these models ARE 3D, but the feature's "on the way out", so nobody cares enough to mention the feature on the box, sales material or anywhere else (hint - some of the store tags might just say, "includes two 3D glasses", which means, duh, YEAH...!).

While you're there, call up a buddy with a large back trunk, because you probably drove in there in a Yugo, ya cheapskate hockey puck (R.I.P. Don Rickles), and you're gonna wanna jump on one of these, if you're brave enogh to trust a $1600 purchase to luck. But, if you walk out of there with a 70" that only cost you $500, you can probably suck it up if you get a few short years of enjoying 3D sharply displayed and well lit on your BRAND (somewhat) NEW "Olay" TEE-VEE!

Bargain (?) alert:

Do you have an HH Gregg store near you? Are they going out of business? Is their store closing? Is everything must go? Am nothing will be held back, including the store furniture? Does are you gots extra money you can't afford to spend right now because it's Tax Deadline Season but that don't matter because this is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to save line never before save save save and don't ask the guys in the store about the quality of the stuff left behind because all sales are final and they're probably a shell company working to liquidate the store now so they don't have to live up to any promises HH Gregg made?

Then, you're in luck, my friend! Because I dunno if it's happening everywhere at the same time, but our two Gregg stores are just about out of everything but the tissue in the bathroom towel dispensers now. And surprisingly, some of the merchandise not yet sold in the bare-bones roller-rink-sized stores includes...some of their big-a** demo-model teevees! That's right, the ones people come in and ogle at, but don't dare consider them because who knows how long those screens have been hangin' on that wall showing off their overloaded "demo" settings.

...on those not-quite-so-latest-models, which means they might juuuuusssst beeeee.....

So what did I find just yesterday? Oh, some Samsung, some LG, some other brands of car-garage-sized teevees...that DIDN'T say if they were 3D or not, didn't have any sales information or box blurbs that implied it, and didn't have a qualified pimply teenager with a lot of other things on his mind who could tell you, "hey, which of these are 3D" "Duhhh, I dunno. well lessee...ummm, this one says it's an 'Olay', and uhhh, this one says it's 'curved' or something - oh, yeah, there you can see, it looks like it's bent this way or something..."

Walk in there with your cell/smart/digital/picture-takey phone. Snap some pictures of the model numbers, features, size and sales blurbs. You are going to save 50, maybe 60, and doubtful but ya never know by Sunday afternoon - 70 percent. As long as you're there, use the phone to look up the models, maybe on Amazon, where you'll see whether you can get a better price on these sale prices (nope - you won't), and read-up to see if any of these models ARE 3D, but the feature's "on the way out", so nobody cares enough to mention the feature on the box, sales material or anywhere else (hint - some of the store tags might just say, "includes two 3D glasses", which means, duh, YEAH...!).

While you're there, call up a buddy with a large back trunk, because you probably drove in there in a Yugo, ya cheapskate hockey puck (R.I.P. Don Rickles), and you're gonna wanna jump on one of these, if you're brave enogh to trust a $1600 purchase to luck. But, if you walk out of there with a 70" that only cost you $500, you can probably suck it up if you get a few short years of enjoying 3D sharply displayed and well lit on your BRAND (somewhat) NEW "Olay" TEE-VEE!

DD, EVERYONE loves a bargain but when I purchased my LG 3D Curved TV from P C Richards, a LOCAL company definitely NOT going out of business, I took out an instore 5 year extended warranty. Dunno if buying a store model from a going out of business joint with NO way to have it serviced should it punk out is such a great idea because shipping those TVs back to an LG service center (are there any in the USA???) might be the ultimate crapshoot.

For that same reason, I'm also leery about purchasing TVs from internet sources because shipping them back, should they be defective, is another gamble. And if they come damaged from the get go........another major fiasco!

In my book [and especially in my business] the ability to have an item locally SERVICED is PARAMOUNT.

"And I did sign the LG petition to [hopefully] keep the 3D format ALIVE. But, realistically, it's up to Hollywood to keep producing 3D titles if this is to become viable....and since their new push is releasing UHD 4K [without 3D], the future looks rather dim."

So where is the petition?

Back