3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, 3D ain't croaking' just yet. James Cameron is prepping Terminator 2: Judgment Day for a 3D release later this year: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...terminator-2-judgment-day-for-bluray-3d/39209

So polish off those 3D glasses because Arnold did say he'd be back and NOW in 3D!

I wonder if Cameron has delayed a proper BD~V remaster of The Abyss for a future 3D project? Wouldn't THAT be extra special?

Well, 3D ain't croaking' just yet. James Cameron is prepping Terminator 2: Judgment Day for a 3D release later this year: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...terminator-2-judgment-day-for-bluray-3d/39209

So polish off those 3D glasses because Arnold did say he'd be back and NOW in 3D!

I wonder if Cameron has delayed a proper BD~V remaster of The Abyss for a future 3D project? Wouldn't THAT be extra special?

True Lies in 3D would be cool too.. just a decent HD transfer would be nice too!

I bought MIB3 last week and I agree, it is fantastic.

Tonight I'll be watching Wolf Totem in 3D. It's supposed to be visually stunning especially in 3D. The review on Blu ray.com wasn't spectacular but posters over at Amazon say it's a visual masterpiece. Lots of furry animals, too. And GREAT 3D. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Wolf-Totem-3D-Blu-ray/140554/#Review

In its native Mandarin with English subtitles/121 min/DTS~HD MA 5.1/from SONY, no baloney! AAaaaaaand, Sony's Patented SBM~V* duplication process to assure quality.

[*Super Bit Mapping~Video]

Addenda: couldn't sleep so I watched Wolf Totem: Excellent film. Unique, gorgeously shot, the 3Dness isn't pronounced but adds to the incredible vistas. Well worth adding to one's 3D collection or for that matter.....any worthwhile film collection.(y)(y)

Last edited:
Not in my house, it's not. I have a last gen pure 1080P Sony XBR (before XBR's were all marketed in 4K) and it seems to have legs, at least so far.
The Movies I watch are pretty good.
But I'm very picky about the 3D titles I buy.

The ones that seem prone to being like that Christopher Walken character on SNL ("The Continental") where he shoves the "Champagne-ya" glass at the camera (Girl's POV) aren't really my bag.
I have the ST's and SW's that are available. I've got the Martian and I think a couple of IMAX's. As close to being there as I'll ever get.....lol....
I hope the rumors of its demise are exaggerated. But if not, I can't help but think they'll take another run at it in 4K.

Not in my house, it's not. I have a last gen pure 1080P Sony XBR (before XBR's were all marketed in 4K) and it seems to have legs, at least so far.
The Movies I watch are pretty good.
But I'm very picky about the 3D titles I buy.

The ones that seem prone to being like that Christopher Walken character on SNL ("The Continental") where he shoves the "Champagne-ya" glass at the camera (Girl's POV) aren't really my bag.
I have the ST's and SW's that are available. I've got the Martian and I think a couple of IMAX's. As close to being there as I'll ever get.....lol....
I hope the rumors of its demise are exaggerated. But if not, I can't help but think they'll take another run at it in 4K.

I hope you're right too, regarding 3D. If you study the current video market, they're still manufacturing DVDs and 1080p in considerable quantities. The 4K Launch has been something of a VERY mixed bag with the majority of UHD 4Ks nothing more than upsampled 2K. There are 3D titles in production, still, but just as not pronounced before the announcement that "3D is DEAD" and the manufacturers announced that for 2017 TV would be 3D~less.

Just when LG came out with affordable OLED TVs touting utter perfection [some of my 1080p 3D discs look better than my UHD 4K discs via my SONY UBP~800 player] they decide to pull the plug.

Seriously, folks.......

I think it'll make a resurgence with 8K....that's my theory.

I think it'll make a resurgence with 8K....that's my theory.[/QUOTE]

They'll just need to start making one wall out of a display. That or just paint the OLED innards on the wall and wait for it to dry.

Or we can go all Red Pill/Blue Pill and wait for direct neural interface......:phones

Hondo is a John Wayne western shot in 1953 in 3D. It has never been released in 3D and today I rented a 2D version from the local library. The titles were obviously shot with 3D in mind so I put on the glasses and engaged the fake 3D setting on the TV. It turned out to look pretty darn good in fake 3D.

I also rented Groundhog Day. The librarian who checked me out asked me if I was going to watch it today and then watch it tomorrow and then watch it the next day. Everyone is a comedian, even the librarian.

So, this thread is one of the factors that made me take the leap and get a LG OLED65C6P...realizing that in the 2017 model year there aren't any 3D TVs left, and that I'd regret not jumping now (plus I found a new one for $2,400, takes some of the sting off). Having 4K is a nice bonus too, even if the difference is pretty subtle. We'll see how much I use it though - I'm not in the game of watching movies just because they're in 3D.

Hondo is a John Wayne western shot in 1953 in 3D. It has never been released in 3D and today I rented a 2D version from the local library. The titles were obviously shot with 3D in mind so I put on the glasses and engaged the fake 3D setting on the TV. It turned out to look pretty darn good in fake 3D.

What's sad is Gretchen Wayne has restored HONDO in 3-D a few years back. I had a chance to see the 3-D DCP in 2012 and it is amazing, with the 3-D being very deep and layering quite pronounced. This restoration was briefly available via streaming from the now defunct 3DGO pay per view system. Hopefully this eventually gets a 3D bluray release.

What's sad is Gretchen Wayne has restored HONDO in 3-D a few years back. I had a chance to see the 3-D DCP in 2012 and it is amazing, with the 3-D being very deep and layering quite pronounced. This restoration was briefly available via streaming from the now defunct 3DGO pay per view system. Hopefully this eventually gets a 3D bluray release.
The movie is filled with things poking the screen and things falling down right in front of the camera. It is a very 3D-centric movie.:smokin

So, this thread is one of the factors that made me take the leap and get a LG OLED65C6P...realizing that in the 2017 model year there aren't any 3D TVs left, and that I'd regret not jumping now (plus I found a new one for $2,400, takes some of the sting off). Having 4K is a nice bonus too, even if the difference is pretty subtle. We'll see how much I use it though - I'm not in the game of watching movies just because they're in 3D.

Congratulations! I have the same tv. I paid $3999.99 at Best Buy, but then it went on sale and I received another $500.00 off. The best 3D television I've ever had and my first passive version. Hands down, passive 3D is the way to go. I'm amazed every time I watch a decent movie.

Regarding 4K, I hear what you're saying but you have to find the right disc and you'll see why 4K with HDR is great. For eye candy, I recommend and seen the following:

Planet Earth II
The Great Wall
Lucy
Allied
Logan
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

Congratulations! I have the same tv. I paid $3999.99 at Best Buy, but then it went on sale and I received another $500.00 off. The best 3D television I've ever had and my first passive version. Hands down, passive 3D is the way to go. I'm amazed every time I watch a decent movie.

Regarding 4K, I hear what you're saying but you have to find the right disc and you'll see why 4K with HDR is great. For eye candy, I recommend and seen the following:

Planet Earth II
The Great Wall
Lucy
Allied
Logan
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

I picked up Planet Earth II today - BB price matched Amazon for $35. Have a few others as well, but I'm not rushing to replace movies I have on BD - or buy ones I'm not that interested in.

Back