3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

Am reading this thread with interest. I am being thrust into the world of 3D by an odd turn: my grandfather shot hundreds of 3D stills which I have now inherited, and I am having them converted for digital viewing.

My current primary interest is screen hardware. The thread seems to glow with praise for OLED technology. I have seen some model numbers listed here, but am wondering as an earlier poster did about a list of the best OLED 3D models. Are there any to avoid? Are there any non-LG models, or is LG the only 3D OLED manufacturer. Please list some specific model numbers so I can easily look at hardware reviews on the web. I am hoping to make a purchase before the supply has dried up.

I have also seen discussion on the UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Now that several of you have it, would you recommend it over others, or is there a better model to consider. Are all Oppo players 3D compatible? I have a BDP-95. Is that 3D capable?

I have also seen discussion of the HDMI connection cable. Is it critical to the signal to be an HD version of the cable?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

The Oppo 95 should handle 3D fine - I know the 93 does. There are no 2017 TV models being made with 3D, nor would I expect any in 2018. The last models with 3D are the 2016 LG C-model OLED TVs (higher-end models may have it as well, I haven't checked, but the B-models do not). Accordingly, I'd strike now to get a OLED55C6P or OLED65C6P before they go pretty much completely out of stock.

If you'd rather spend less money, you can get an earlier model year TV with 3D used as well.

Oh, and for the cable, get a high-speed cable from Monoprice for $5 and don't worry beyond that.

Editing yet again: I just got the UBP-X800 to replace my Oppo 93. It's nice but doesn't have the Oppo's level of build (but it's half the price of the 203, so I'll live). I also don't like how the entire front flips open - once again a minor thing. It can play DSD multichannel from SACDs and USB (directly over HDMI without conversion or with conversion), plays DVD-Audios, Blu-Rays (regular, 3D, and 4K), and has very good streaming options as well. I'm using the dual HDMI output functionality because by receiver can't passthrough 4K, and it works well.

The Oppo 95 should handle 3D fine - I know the 93 does. There are no 2017 TV models being made with 3D, nor would I expect any in 2018. The last models with 3D are the 2016 LG C-model OLED TVs (higher-end models may have it as well, I haven't checked, but the B-models do not). Accordingly, I'd strike now to get a OLED55C6P or OLED65C6P before they go pretty much completely out of stock.

If you'd rather spend less money, you can get an earlier model year TV with 3D used as well.

Oh, and for the cable, get a high-speed cable from Monoprice for $5 and don't worry beyond that.

Editing yet again: I just got the UBP-X800 to replace my Oppo 93. It's nice but doesn't have the Oppo's level of build (but it's half the price of the 203, so I'll live). I also don't like how the entire front flips open - once again a minor thing. It can play DSD multichannel from SACDs and USB (directly over HDMI without conversion or with conversion), plays DVD-Audios, Blu-Rays (regular, 3D, and 4K), and has very good streaming options as well. I'm using the dual HDMI output functionality because by receiver can't passthrough 4K, and it works well.

Yes, the SONY UBP~X800 is a fantastic 3D/4K UHD player but, IMO, it's NO OPPO. The OPPO's basic menus give one far more choices compared to the SONY's bare basic menu options but I'm only utilizing the SONY in my 'modest' bedroom system so who's complaining.

IMO, the 3D looks SO Good that it even eclipses the benefits of 4K.

And make NO mistake. The LG OLED technology is probably the BEST thing that's ever happened to 3D. Simply ASTOUNDING.

And there are MORE 3D 1080p BD~Vs on the way, thankfully. Why there's NO 3D on current models is perplexing since I've read that adding 3D capability to a flatscreen adds VERY little to the cost.

You're right. The 2016 LG 'B' models do not have 3D but their 2016 Signature and 'E' series models included the 3D technology along with their lower cost 'C' models. If you don't like the slight curve of the 'C' series, I'd recommend the 'E' series. If you can still find any.

You're right. The 2016 LG 'B' models do not have 3D but their 2016 Signature and 'E' series models included the 3D technology along with their lower cost 'C' models. If you don't like the slight curve of the 'C' series, I'd recommend the 'E' series. If you can still find any.

BTW, call me a dilettante but I LOVE THE CURVE. It's like being at the cinema and it's OH SO COOL!:banana:

And in my bedroom where space IS a limitation, that curve fits in nicely and allows me to hang my B&W satellite speakers in a more uncompromising array. Very chic!

^ I had planned on watching the 3D version first but grabbed the 4K disc since it was on top. Overall, I liked the movie but felt the creatures could of been better. Not that they were bad. I liked the ending because, without it, there'd be no future, announced, monster mashup.

Be careful before ordering the Region #1 version. Lionsgate will handle the United States release while Studio Canal handles the rest of worldwide distribution. At this time, Lionsgate is only planning a 2-D and 4K buray release. Which means for many of us: Time to import!

Hey Guys,

Am reading this thread with interest. I am being thrust into the world of 3D by an odd turn: my grandfather shot hundreds of 3D stills which I have now inherited, and I am having them converted for digital viewing.

My current primary interest is screen hardware. The thread seems to glow with praise for OLED technology. I have seen some model numbers listed here, but am wondering as an earlier poster did about a list of the best OLED 3D models. Are there any to avoid? Are there any non-LG models, or is LG the only 3D OLED manufacturer. Please list some specific model numbers so I can easily look at hardware reviews on the web. I am hoping to make a purchase before the supply has dried up.

I have also seen discussion on the UBP-X800 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Player. Now that several of you have it, would you recommend it over others, or is there a better model to consider. Are all Oppo players 3D compatible? I have a BDP-95. Is that 3D capable?

I have also seen discussion of the HDMI connection cable. Is it critical to the signal to be an HD version of the cable?

Thanks for helping out a newbie!

The OLED 2016 3-D models are excellent, and likewise would suggest the Sony UBP-X800 4K/bluray player. The Sony not only plays SACD and DVD-Audio, but 3-D wise, will playback MPO 3-D still images. MPO is important, as it allows one to store 1080p or higher resolution (per eye) and it will be fed from the Sony player in the frame packed HDMI 1.4 standard that your 3DTV will accept. So your still images resolution will be maxed per the HDMI 1.4 3-D specifications. (1920x1080 per eye). btw: The LG OLED's also reads 3-D MPO files directly from it's USB ports.

Last edited:
^ I had planned on watching the 3D version first but grabbed the 4K disc since it was on top. Overall, I liked the movie but felt the creatures could of been better. Not that they were bad. I liked the ending because, without it, there'd be no future, announced, monster mashup.

I did like the movie [Kong: Skull Island] a whole lot better the second time.....especially in 3D.

Last edited:
Just checked your link. Too bad they're all already gone!

Unfortunately, like all those exotic limited edition SACDs, those Steelbook editions, including those offered from England's Zavvi, sell out quickly. Hopefully, Best Buy will order a repress of Kong: Skull Island [4K/3D/2D steelbook edition].

Unfortunately, like all those exotic limited edition SACDs, those Steelbook editions, including those offered from England's Zavvi, sell out quickly. Hopefully, Best Buy will order a repress of Kong: Skull Island [4K/3D/2D steelbook edition].

Another website also reported some orders were being refunded from Best Buy, so I checked my order status. My 4K/3D/blu version of Skull Island just shipped out today and is now headed my way. Whew!!

Last week I also ordered the Guardians of the Galaxy II Best Buy exclusive 4K/3D/blu combo, as I know that one will go quickly. Sounds like I barely snagged Skull Island.

Another website also reported some orders were being refunded from Best Buy, so I checked my order status. My 4K/3D/blu version of Skull Island just shipped out today and is now headed my way. Whew!!

Last week I also ordered the Guardians of the Galaxy II Best Buy exclusive 4K/3D/blu combo, as I know that one will go quickly. Sounds like I barely snagged Skull Island.

Thanks for the heads~up On Guardians of the Galaxy II. Just pre~ordered. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/guardia...u-ray-blu-ray-3d-2017/5904801.p?skuId=5904801

LOVE those steelbook editions!

Well the thread title is correct. My 3D tv is dead. Won't turn on. Push the button and the red light goes out and then comes back on and the screen stays black. This has been going on for a while but usually after a few hours it turns on again. I called LG and they are sending out a guy on Thursday so I get two days without any TV. Booooo.

Well the thread title is correct. My 3D tv is dead. Won't turn on. Push the button and the red light goes out and then comes back on and the screen stays black. This has been going on for a while but usually after a few hours it turns on again. I called LG and they are sending out a guy on Thursday so I get two days without any TV. Booooo.

:yikes seilerbird....this is your second problem with the LG OLED 3D TV. Stupidly, I took out a 5 year extended warranty on mine but let's be real....if it's unfixable, what are they going to replace it with....a 2D TV, that's what.

I do have mine plugged into a surge protector but I've had electrical work done on my house and recent work was done on exterior utility poles and have had problems with my 12 volt power supplies powering my Meridian SooLoos and ancillary back~ups. Have to replace both of them.

OLED has been around for 10+ years and hopefully, this won't portend their future.

Good luck on getting it repaired. 3D this freaking good cannot just disappear.

Back