3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:yikes seilerbird....this is your second problem with the LG OLED 3D TV. Stupidly, I took out a 5 year extended warranty on mine but let's be real....if it's unfixable, what are they going to replace it with....a 2D TV, that's what.

I do have mine plugged into a surge protector but I've had electrical work done on my house and recent work was done on exterior utility poles and have had problems with my 12 volt power supplies powering my Meridian SooLoos and ancillary back~ups. Have to replace both of them.

OLED has been around for 10+ years and hopefully, this won't portend their future.

Good luck on getting it repaired. 3D this freaking good cannot just disappear.
No, I have had three LG 3d TVs that I have had to return for an exchange in the last few years. This one has been worked on once. I think the tech is bringing a power supply to replace it. The first time I called LG about this problem they blamed the surge protector and recommended I plug it directly into the wall, and that solved the problem. But the problem has returned. I am not worried about my TV becoming unfixable a few years in the future. I am almost seventy years old and at my age I don't buy green bananas.

Well the LG repairman just left and he had replaced the power supply circuit board. It worked the first time he tried it but not the second time. Now he has a panel ordered and it will be two weeks before it is installed.

Well the LG repairman just left and he had replaced the power supply circuit board. It worked the first time he tried it but not the second time. Now he has a panel ordered and it will be two weeks before it is installed.

They replaced the panel on my 9100 a while ago and it worked fine. They don't seem to like replacing the TV outright, they'd rather just replace the panel. Not positive why, but it works out.

They replaced the panel on my 9100 a while ago and it worked fine. They don't seem to like replacing the TV outright, they'd rather just replace the panel. Not positive why, but it works out.
LG has replaced a tv three times in the last two years for me. I was surprized that they are only replacing the panel, I would think it would be easier and cheaper just to replace the whole thing.

LG has replaced a tv three times in the last two years for me. I was surprized that they are only replacing the panel, I would think it would be easier and cheaper just to replace the whole thing.

Not a very good endorsement of LG TV's I'd say. We have an 11 year old Sony - one of the first 1080(i) TV's - and a 7 year old Panasonic backlit LED TV. Never any problems, knock wood. I guess we should count our blessings.

Not a very good endorsement of LG TV's I'd say. We have an 11 year old Sony - one of the first 1080(i) TV's - and a 7 year old Panasonic backlit LED TV. Never any problems, knock wood. I guess we should count our blessings.

I somewhat agree but I've had problems with ALL SONY products [TVs included] and my Panasonic Plasma died after 6 years [and did an atrocious job of 3D].

I was tempted to invest in LG's 70" OLED 3D TV but the ridiculous $20K price was a turn off. SONY has a 70" LED TV now for $2500 but of course, NO 3D.

The 3D on the LG OLEDs is awesome. We finally have the technology in place and they withdraw it ........ akin to SACD/DVD~A. Apparently not enticing enough to the masses to make a difference. Oh, well.

Every XBR I've ever owned was flawless and lasted for as long as I kept it. The first ('87) lasted until about '02. The first lamp driven 60" inch cooked itself, and Sony (to its credit) replaced it. That TV held up well (my first 1080p set) but had pretty unambitious Dynamic range. I sold it to a friend for GW store money and put that towards

the LAST 1080p XBR (early smart TV and 3D) they made. Every XBR after that one was 4K. I have two 3D Sony's and with the exception of that one Halogen lamp Sony, I never had a minute's trouble. Their Audio gear is a hors d'oeuvre of a different flavor though. My 601ESD would NOT transfer digitally. My PS-FL7II Turntable (seemed l

like a lot of money at the time) was the biggest insult to linear tracking technology I've seen before or since. I've owned 3 TCD-8 DAT Walkmen and they all eventually suffered transport issues. (I'm OCD fastidious, they just died of old age.)

So I'm not the defender of Sony that I am for certain eras of (by contrast) '70's and '90's Pioneer. (Elite for the latter.)

But it takes getting to this end of life to be able to sense patterns in chaos. When times were "okay" economically good gear got better. No big surprise.

But Audio (with the notable exception of personal audio) in general has been on a downhill slide for some time.

The High End carries the torch, but the high end gear I own is all used. Not a stick of it was bought new. $185K Turntables aren't going to be on my shopping list, even used.

I like to live in the knee of the cost/benefit ratio J curve. Sony's televisions have been my "go to" for pretty much all of my adult life.

All that said, I think I'm about to jump to Samsung on this next go around. But I've never really been in love the audio in Samsung sets. Picture Quality wise, it's a dead heat or Samsung wins it. At least with the sets I've seen live, first person.

I have my eye on the new 75". (My XBR is 65") That will probably be my last go around on a HT sized monitor. I'm not sure but I think the TV I saw was OLED. I need to go back and double check that.....

Tonight I had the pleasure of watching the live action version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast in 3D as well as the remake of The Legend of Tarzan also in 3D. Both are exquisite examples of how brilliant 3D can be.

We might have occasional 'brushes with the blues' with our LG OLED 3D TVs but I can unmistakably say.......no other technology at this time can equal 3D OLED for the home.

It never ceases to amaze me.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/beauty-the-beast-3d-includes-2d-version/11428140.html [REGION FREE from the UK]

Mine is almost 4 years old and I'm waiting for a new board because it keeps acting like that horrible dynamic contrast so-called feature is on when it isn't. Like others, my fingers are crossed because if the extended warranty results in a new set it will be 2D.

I used to like LG because their optical drives were so good but between this and not getting an answer to a simple question about my clothes washer I may be done.

Also, they want money up-front for a service appointment and if THEY cancel it's YOUR responsibility to start the refund process. Crooks.

Every XBR I've ever owned was flawless and lasted for as long as I kept it. The first ('87) lasted until about '02. The first lamp driven 60" inch cooked itself, and Sony (to its credit) replaced it. That TV held up well (my first 1080p set) but had pretty unambitious Dynamic range. I sold it to a friend for GW store money and put that towards

the LAST 1080p XBR (early smart TV and 3D) they made. Every XBR after that one was 4K. I have two 3D Sony's and with the exception of that one Halogen lamp Sony, I never had a minute's trouble. Their Audio gear is a hors d'oeuvre of a different flavor though. My 601ESD would NOT transfer digitally. My PS-FL7II Turntable (seemed l

like a lot of money at the time) was the biggest insult to linear tracking technology I've seen before or since. I've owned 3 TCD-8 DAT Walkmen and they all eventually suffered transport issues. (I'm OCD fastidious, they just died of old age.)

So I'm not the defender of Sony that I am for certain eras of (by contrast) '70's and '90's Pioneer. (Elite for the latter.)

But it takes getting to this end of life to be able to sense patterns in chaos. When times were "okay" economically good gear got better. No big surprise.

But Audio (with the notable exception of personal audio) in general has been on a downhill slide for some time.

The High End carries the torch, but the high end gear I own is all used. Not a stick of it was bought new. $185K Turntables aren't going to be on my shopping list, even used.

I like to live in the knee of the cost/benefit ratio J curve. Sony's televisions have been my "go to" for pretty much all of my adult life.

All that said, I think I'm about to jump to Samsung on this next go around. But I've never really been in love the audio in Samsung sets. Picture Quality wise, it's a dead heat or Samsung wins it. At least with the sets I've seen live, first person.

I have my eye on the new 75". (My XBR is 65") That will probably be my last go around on a HT sized monitor. I'm not sure but I think the TV I saw was OLED. I need to go back and double check that.....

Me' the frikken Sony's were the best for years. With Sd CRT all one had to do was compare the edges on the screen, every other CRT had a small clear sop in the center, except the Trinitrons. Then the dam XBR! I still use mine. I have the last CRT HD XBR model they made. 34" and I love it! I have had two flat screen TV's and although big, I just could not adjust to them. have to soon enough though, they don't last forever. Bought this guy new in box for $800.00 when they first flat jobs were coming out. Not long after saw the same model open box for $800.00. Then the flat plasmas came and killed in the market. Those Kuro's by Pioneer were killer with a big screen.

Unless one has a crystal ball [doubtful] how long these newer TVs last is anyone's guess. The prices have been coming down drastically and I'm sure cost cutting measures are in place to accommodate these reductions. And the fact they're manufactured overseas and shipped to faraway places, I'm sure, has something to do with continued failures coupled with how they're handled when they arrive at their various destinations. I hardly imagine they're handled with kid gloves by low paid employees.

I'll be perfectly honest: after reading the pros and cons of LG's OLED TVs, I am a little paranoid every time I turn on the set hoping it performs, as advertised.

I'm still on the hunt for a 4K 3D projector which will give me the picture quality of my OLED set....but at this juncture, it just ain't happening!

And yes, I'm aware that many consider 3D an unnecessary 'gimmick' but I can truly say, when executed as masterfully as LG has achieved with their OLED 3D sets, it can be mind altering and greatly add to the appreciation of the movie/concert.

I'm still on the hunt for a 4K 3D projector which will give me the picture quality of my OLED set....but at this juncture, it just ain't happening!

technologically speaking, how could that ever happen, at any juncture?

Light rays projected forward onto a surface (from a distance) vs projected from behind (at minimal to no distance) being equal, how could that ever happen? I kinda talking just the physics of the equation.

OLED "inky" Black is not just Black because of "lack of light", but rather it's Black because it's "illuminated" black. This can't really happen from a projected distance practically speaking.

Kinda like hoping for time travel or black holes, bending light is not so easy, at least not without Massive gravitational pull, and I mean massive (size of the universe type thing).

technologically speaking, how could that ever happen, at any juncture?

Light rays projected forward onto a surface (from a distance) vs projected from behind (at minimal to no distance) being equal, how could that ever happen? I kinda talking just the physics of the equation.

OLED "inky" Black is not just Black because of "lack of light", but rather it's Black because it's "illuminated" black. This can't really happen from a projected distance practically speaking.

Kinda like hoping for time travel or black holes, bending light is not so easy, at least not without Massive gravitational pull, and I mean massive (size of the universe type thing).

I'm sure a 100" 3D OLED curved panel is in the future which would more than satisfy me, so here's hoping. And those OLED blacks..........surreal, aren't they?

No, it is black because the pixels are not turned on. They do not illuminate black on OLED.

No, it is black because the pixels are not turned on. They do not illuminate black on OLED.

turn off your oled, now all the pixels are turned off.

Does the screen now look inky black?

now turn on your oled and play an image of space, now the screen looks more black than before when it was turned off

it's because the black now "glows", it has illumination, you just cant see it

it's a perceptual trick of the mind, similar to the Purkinje effect

turn off your oled, now all the pixels are turned off.

Does the screen now look inky black?

now turn on your oled and play an image of space, now the screen looks more black than before when it was turned off

it's because the black now "glows", it has illumination, you just cant see it

it's a perceptual trick of the mind, similar to the Purkinje effect
The screen is inky black when it is either turned off or on. Looks identical. The black does not glow in the least.

Back