3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If black on a TV is black because the pixels are turned off, you'd only have one shade of black, rather than all the shades and tones that are possible for shadows.
There are lots of shades of black, they are called grey. You get it by adding light to black. Not every black is absolute black but when it is absolute black it is absolute black.

If black on a TV is black because the pixels are turned off, you'd only have one shade of black, rather than all the shades and tones that are possible for shadows.

Actually, one critique of the LG OLEDs, especially earlier models, is that blacks are perfect, but grays are only so-so. Because the oled works by just turning off pixels that are pure black, it allows for infinite contrast. However, because the same process is not used for grays, which are instead generated by the standard color process for the pixel, it can lead to weak grays.

There are lots of shades of black, they are called grey. You get it by adding light to black. Not every black is absolute black but when it is absolute black it is absolute black.

Well, sure, but I can't imagine that much of what is filmed is "absolute black." Graphics, sure. The artist can choose black for artwork, but for physical objects there is usually some kind of tonal variation going on.
It just boggles my mind that the TV would shut off pixels when detecting "absolute black," even though that may be only for the briefest instant. :confused:

Actually, one critique of the LG OLEDs, especially earlier models, is that blacks are perfect, but grays are only so-so. Because the oled works by just turning off pixels that are pure black, it allows for infinite contrast. However, because the same process is not used for grays, which are instead generated by the standard color process for the pixel, it can lead to weak grays.

Well, you can't prove that by me. IMO, if a TV or projector cannot do inky blacks then everything in the color spectrum is thrown off. Since OLED has been around for approximately 12 years [or so], I should think the 'weak grays' are in the past.

Very mean of them not to show the new Blade Runner movie in 3D. The Melbourne IMAX Cinema show all available 3D films on their playlist in 3D only. If anything the price differential is putting people off in this country . and those poor treasures that cannot bare to wear glasses even for a couple of hours.

I absolutely agree with you. And actually, the price differential between 2D/3D is sometimes minuscule from Amazon's third party vendors.

Most Fortunately, I'm been purchasing a lot of Region Free 3D steelbook editions from UK's Zavvi and those with region free blu ray players can actually make out like bandits when Zavvi has their frequent sales. And shipping to the US is minimal and ALL steelbooks arrive in perfect condition.

BTW, the 3D glasses which come with the LG OLED 3D TVs are negligible in weight and fit comfortably and unobtrusively over my prescription glasses. You're right: what IS the BIG DEAL in wearing them for a couple of hours.

I hate wearing my prescription glasses, let alone another pair over the top when I'm trying to relax.

So spring for prescription 3D glasses killing two birds with one stone.

No one likes wearing glasses except nerds. But unfortunately, those of us not blessed with 20/20 vision have NO option!:yikes

Well, sure, but I can't imagine that much of what is filmed is "absolute black." Graphics, sure. The artist can choose black for artwork, but for physical objects there is usually some kind of tonal variation going on.
It just boggles my mind that the TV would shut off pixels when detecting "absolute black," even though that may be only for the briefest instant. :confused:

I have many astronomy dvds that use lots of pure black.

I finally bought a 3d stinker. The Amazing Spiderman in 3D. The dirt cheap price should have been a signal. Watching it was spending two hours rooting for it to end. Almost filmed entirely at night it has very little color, could have been shot in b&w and no one would have noticed. The story was straight out of Japan from 1960 and so was the "monster". The only redeeming quality was seeing Emma Stone. The 3D effect was barely noticeable.

Back