3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing people have read this, but on the first page especially it breaks down the numbers in a way that's a bit depressing: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc...e-av-industry-slaughtered-their-own-cash-cow/. In a nutshell, the point is that 3D is a steadily shrinking part of ticket sales, most movies are upconverted to 3D anyway, and consumer 3D was always awful. Also, pricing 3D blu-ray much higher than regular really hurt sales - especially when there's been extremely aggressive pricing on blu-rays lately but not the same aggressive pricing on 3D blu-rays.

Personally, I had a Samsung LCD TV for a while and it supported 3D in theory, but I could never get the active shutter glasses to work right, and keeping them charged and ready was a chore. Passive on my LG set is so much better, but now I have a debate whether to upgrade my 1080p set to 4K (leaning towards no, for the record - 3D BD looks really sharp to me from my couch). Either way, it now seems clear that this is among the last of the 3D TVs of this generation.

I just picked up the Suicide Squad blu-ray for $10, non-3d. In a perfect world the 3D would have been $2 or 3 more, and I'd be happy to pay that. But for a movie I'm going to watch once with the girlfriend and then maybe revisit one or twice with friends, it's just not worth paying $30 for the 3d edition. On the other hand I picked up the 3D edition of Force Awakens, but then I've owned pretty much every edition of Star Wars ever released. 3D blu-ray is going to wither if you get to greedy about it, and that's exactly what happened.

If we are to take our experiences with quad and extrapolate them to 3D video:
1 there will always be a market for used 3D programming in the future when the majors aren't selling it anymore.
2 once the technology goes out of the marketplace, you are always going to wish you invested some 2017 dollars into that pricey OLED you won't be able to get for three times that much in the 2025 marketplace.
3 the most desirable discs will be the ones we took for granted in its' day (who knew royal sheikhs would be offering handfuls of rubies for that Hanna Montana live set!).
4 the only ones so-called "experts" will be waxing nostalgically about in the future, are the ones you won't be able to afford at the time ("To hell with 'Hugo' - have you seen the meters ping when you put in a copy of 'Pixels'?! The black level measurements are off the charts!")
5 Connoisseurs will be trading viewing glasses as if they were Ming Dynasty vases.
6 the only one left with any kind of online cred when it comes to making new 3D out of old 2D films will be Bob Furmanek III...and he can only crank out two titles a year (and the only titles he has access to, will be the 1980's Merchant Ivory library!)
7 (also, hipsters will be discovering - and cranking out billions of links of click-bait - gushing over the smooth, warm qualities of Pre-Download-Era DVD films, but, that's another thread entirely)

Yeah, the price at times for 3D discs is just way too high. IMO.

I just took delivery of Satchurated, a Joe Satriani concert disc in 3-D and 7.1. Cost me under $15 delivered to my door. He is my all time favorite guitar player.

I just took delivery of Satchurated, a Joe Satriani concert disc in 3-D and 7.1. Cost me under $15 delivered to my door. He is my all time favorite guitar player.

That's a great price. As I said, maybe I need to stock up. I only have 2 or 3 discs. One of them is The Scorpions in 3D..a great show. :)

That's a great price. As I said, maybe I need to stock up. I only have 2 or 3 discs. One of them is The Scorpions in 3D..a great show. :)

Here are 2 of the 3...can't find the third one... :mad:@:

094E44E1-4575-4577-96A0-6ACDF4857889.jpg

This DVD should be required watching for anyone producing a concert video. The performers are all well lit, very few audience shots, most shots last a few seconds and not milliseconds and we get to see Joe's hands occasionally.

Yes, the cost of 3D movies can be radically more costly than their 2D counterparts but think of what you're getting for your hard~earned $$$$$: hours of entertainment. I just spent $120 @ Acoustic Sounds for 4 Stereo SACDs and a few SACD/DVD~A blank cases. I JUST ordered the Scorpions 3D (brand new), Toy Story I and Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children all in 3D for about $50.

Last night I finally watched the upconverted Wizard of OZ in 3D [IMO, spectacular] which AmazonUS is currently selling for $13.49 (comes with a classy lenticular slipcase cover). From the opening credits to the end credits, this puppy POPPED with very nicely restored HD audio.

I totally understand the replay value of films vs. music but what dillydipper says in his above post [#43] is absolutely true. The price of 3D media will probably appreciate in value tenfold as the format fades into oblivion.

I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic if I didn't have an OLED Curved 3D display which has finally shown me how utterly fantastic 3D can look and I have NO idea how a lot of QQ 3D posters are viewing 3D (LED, LCD, etc.) but if anyone is in the market for a new 4K monitor, I highly recommend at least taking a gander at what this new technology hath wrought.

Yes, the cost of 3D movies can be radically more costly than their 2D counterparts but think of what you're getting for your hard~earned $$$$$: hours of entertainment. I just spent $120 @ Acoustic Sounds for 4 Stereo SACDs and a few SACD/DVD~A blank cases. I JUST ordered the Scorpions 3D (brand new), Toy Story I and Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children all in 3D for about $50.

Last night I finally watched the upconverted Wizard of OZ in 3D [IMO, spectacular] which AmazonUS is currently selling for $13.49 (comes with a classy lenticular slipcase cover). From the opening credits to the end credits, this puppy POPPED with very nicely restored HD audio.

I totally understand the replay value of films vs. music but what dillydipper says in his above post [#43] is absolutely true. The price of 3D media will probably appreciate in value tenfold as the format fades into oblivion.

I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic if I didn't have an OLED Curved 3D display which has finally shown me how utterly fantastic 3D can look and I have NO idea how a lot of QQ 3D posters are viewing 3D (LED, LCD, etc.) but if anyone is in the market for a new 4K monitor, I highly recommend at least taking a gander at what this new technology hath wrought.

I'm glad you mentioned Oz - I debated buying that one....

Your absolutely right about the OLED sets by LG they have amazing pictures, almost bought one spring of 16 but too pricey for my wifey. Anyhow the price is down 500.00 now and I'm ready to purchase (really hoping to wait but no 3D on the 2017 models) I prefer the flat over the curve and 3500.00 too much for the 65" so it's 55" soon ( hopefully, may have to sleep on the couch for a bit, but heck it will be by my new 3D TV):spot:couch

BTW, just pre~ordered "It Came from Outer Space" in 3D from 1953.....and according to bluray.com one of the best 3D films of the period. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/It-Came-from-Outer-Space-3D-Blu-ray/133338/#Review

"It Came From Outer Space" was the feature that originally hooked me on 3-D thanks to a late 1970s 35mm 3-D screening. Directed by Jack Arnold and story by Ray Bradbury, it is a vintage staplemark in 3-Dimensional story telling. When we worked on this title for Universal for the recent 3-D bluray release, we were able to locate and obtain the original 3 channel (L/C/R) printmaster and for the first time, all three channels are at the proper level so the directional cues and dialog are correctly heard and best of all, the original dynamic range has been retained. Best heard loud, and on a decent full range sound system, but the payoff it well well worth it: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/it-s-in-the-mix Also for the first time on home video, the original 3-D intermission card has been restored as well as the world's first ever true 3-D trailer, which was for "It Came From Outer Space"

Someone had mentioned "Wizard of Oz".. a true labor of love for Warner Brothers. When at the studio just before the IMAX 3-D premiere, they allowed us to see some sections and Ned Price, Warner Technical Operations VP Mastering, explained how just how closely involved they were with Prime Focus who did the conversion work. If I recall correctly, they spent over a year just on the conversion. It was fascinating all of the discussions and debates they had on what and what not to do, all fueled by wanting this to be the best it could be while still being faithful to the original intent. And the 5.1 audio on Oz is a treat as well, as Price explained how certain elements survived (coincidental stereo recordings, choral tracks, etc), along with other 21st century tricks allowed them to make a really outstanding multi-channel mix. Listen to the twister sequence at reference levels for a nice example of this. And just as a standard 2-D version of the original is included, the original mono track is on tap as well.

There are currently some rare low ball prices on some 3-D blurays on Amazon.

* Dial M for Murder - Hitchcock's 1954 dabbling in 3-Dimensions, restored by Warner Brother. This had long been over $20, but currently is under ten bucks.

* Pacific Rim (2013) - Director Guillermo Del Toro told the studio if they wanted to convert his feature to 3-D for its theatrical release they would have to do it right and laid down a list of demands. To his shock, the studio immediately agreed and the results were clear. This also has an amazing 7.1 track, but you have to manually select it in the menu or it defaults to the 5.1 track. This 3-D bluray is also currently under $10 on Amazon.

Sadly "House of Wax" (1954) is back in mid-20 dollar range again, as it too was around $10 a few weeks ago. The studio had to go back to separation elements to make their restoration, which meant six scans (YCM masters - three per eye side) at 4K, and that's a lot of $$$.. (So even twenty something dollars in one respect is still a deal) and utilizes the surviving effects (surround) track which was incorporated in their Dolby Surround remix, as the front mag channels were lost. ...So many features from the 1950s had multi-channel sound, but sadly have been long lost to time.

Another 3-D title I would personally recommend is "the Walk", currently available for $20. While this is a conversion, it was planned for 3-D from the start and was considered an integral part of the story. Highly recommended and for me, one of the best 3-D features of 2015, even with this being a conversion.

If you guys liked "Wizard of Oz", you should try "Top Gun" and "Titanic", both up converted to 3D.

Just took delivery on an LG 65E6P OLED. Un-freakin'-believable!

Dude beat me to the punch congratulations.... Best TV ever ( so far ) ..... I'm still haggling on a price for the 55" E6P trying to get it under 2k without going online.... You on the other hand made a excellent choice.....

Back