3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an even better deal on Park and World for $15. World had Bryce Howard which is worth the whole $15. She is hotter than hot.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YH0CQC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, she is seilerbird. Although when I recently saw her on the James Corden Show she was very self conscious and had [kind of] an annoying voice.

You did get a GREAT deal but my copy of LOST WORLD [3D] came in a neat circular TIN enclosure and my used copy of Jurassic Park came with a mint condition lenticular 3D slipcover.

BTW, bluray.com was WAY off in their review of the 3D version of Jurassic Park. Apparently they're not using an OLED TV because from first frame to last, the 3D and image was ULTRA SPECTACULAR. And John Williams brilliant score was simply amazing.

And when you think of it, seilerbird, these 3D BD~Vs are ABSOLUTE bargains when considering that I just paid $24 [with a 20% off sale] for a STEREO SACD with 40 minutes of music!

Get 'em while they're cheap because this 'gravy train' of 3D bargains ain't gonna last forever!

I am buying them by the dozen, can't get enough. I have plenty of SACDs that cost me $50 or more, like the Mirage box set.

I am buying them by the dozen, can't get enough. I have plenty of SACDs that cost me $50 or more, like the Mirage box set.

That 77" LG OLED Curved 3D set is looking better and better everyday. Wish the price would come down [still $20K and ironically, the 65" is UNDER $4K]

BTW, almost EVERY 3D movie that's received negative reviews for Picture Quality/3Dness on bluray.com SHINES on the OLED. Wish they'd upgrade to OLED for more accurate assessments of 3D BD~Vs.

That 77" LG OLED Curved 3D set is looking better and better everyday. Wish the price would come down [still $20K and ironically, the 65" is UNDER $4K]

I live in a 32 foot class A motorhome. My 55 inch looks like an IMAX screen in here. No way could I fit in a 77 inch.:cool:

Another place to find some different titles, some are anaglyphic 3D ( red/blue lense glasses )

http://shop.tcm.com/search?q=3D&mod=AP#!?pagenum=1

Great list covers all 3D Blu-Ray, DVD, etc. Legend at page bottom...

http://www.3dmovielist.com/list.html

Dave, thanks for sharing those links.

I do have a few DVD 3D with the anaglyphic glasses and really should give them a spin on the OLED.

Last night, I watched Hellbenders in 3D, a "B" title (IMO] and while it was 3D all the way the movie was meh! I kept asking, why bother with 3D on this particular title. As I told seilerbird, I am scraping the bottom of the 3D barrel and am really looking forward to upcoming newer 3D titles. I do notice when new titles are announced to Movie Theaters that a LOT of current movies are still being released in 3D. My question, of course, is how long the studios will continue to release in 3D for the consumer market.

Of course, only a handful are being released as 4K UHD/3D combo titles which for me is splendid since I will shortly be investing in probably 2 4K players (the SONY and the OPPO 205 when available) but so many titles are either 4K UHD and/or 3D BD~V sold as separate units (BUMMER!) But since the new 4K players still support 1080p in 3D, I hope they manufacture 3D titles at least until year's end.

Tiny.jpg
I got my 3D Tv a few weeks ago and I have been watching three or four 3D videos every day. So far my all time favorite is called Tiny Giants by the BBC. I am a lifetime photographer and every single scene I would say the same thing 'How in the hell did they photograph that?' Then the next scene would be even more amazing.

View attachment 28798
I got my 3D Tv a few weeks ago and I have been watching three or four 3D videos every day. So far my all time favorite is called Tiny Giants by the BBC. I am a lifetime photographer and every single scene I would say the same thing 'How in the hell did they photograph that?' Then the next scene would be even more amazing.

Seilerbird, do you have this one as well: https://www.amazon.com/Wings-3D-BD-...rd_wg=4SbX0&psc=1&refRID=9Q7J9N9GG1YQHRBH4AS5

Being the excellent nature photographer you [certainly] are, wonder if there is a way to up convert your astounding images in 3D?

Addenda: Came across this: https://www.sculpteo.com/blog/2016/01/20/turning-a-picture-into-a-3d-model/

And NOW for something completely different and from the reviews, Schlocky. Will eventually HAVE to add this 3D schlockfest to my list. http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/41748/ape3d.html

Not yet, it is on my Amazon wish list.
Being the excellent nature photographer you [certainly] are, wonder if there is a way to up convert your astounding images in 3D?
There probably is but I am not interested in doing so. I am going to buy a 3D camera and start taking 3D still images that were designed for 3D. Most of my images were shot thinking only of 2D so there is never anything exciting in the foreground like you need for effective 3D photos. The whole problem with my photos is that most were shot with a long telephoto lens and that does not lend itself to 3D photos.

Not yet, it is on my Amazon wish list.

There probably is but I am not interested in doing so. I am going to buy a 3D camera and start taking 3D still images that were designed for 3D. Most of my images were shot thinking only of 2D so there is never anything exciting in the foreground like you need for effective 3D photos. The whole problem with my photos is that most were shot with a long telephoto lens and that does not lend itself to 3D photos.

Totally understand. When I was shooting both stills and movies, I was always aware of the foreground to create interesting images/effects. But you're right.....start with a true [native] 3D camera and create from scratch.

It's worth noting most 3DTVs can play back 3-D still images which are encoded as side by side or top/bottom squeezed.

The 3-D LG 4K OLEDs also read 3-D MPO still image files for full 1920x1080 per eye 3-D.

It's worth noting most 3DTVs can play back 3-D still images which are encoded as side by side or top/bottom squeezed.

The 3-D LG 4K OLEDs also read 3-D MPO still image files for full 1920x1080 per eye 3-D.

Good to know, Wunlow. Do you shoot 3D stills and if so, what type of camera are you utilizing?

BTW, I have a feeling that when 8K is introduced into the worldwide market, 3D will 'miraculously' re~emerge. A significant number of newer Hollywood fare continues to be shot in the format and with that extreme resolution, imagine how eye~poppingly brilliant 3D would be? As it is, I am simply astounded how phenomenal 1080p looks on a 4K OLED screen.

Good to know, Wunlow. Do you shoot 3D stills and if so, what type of camera are you utilizing?

Whew .. loaded question there, as I've used various set-ups over the years.

Roughly 15 years ago, my go-to stereo still rig was two higher end Sony digital still cameras and a synchronization device to get the shutters to fire in sync. All loaded in a customized rig. Later built 3-D video rigs that I also used on occasion to take stills.

I've also shot stills with a 3D Bloggie (less than 1" I/A --- great for close-ups, poor for medium and wide shots) and also have a JVC 3-D videocamera (roughly 1 1/2" I/A) that also can shoot 3-D stills along with 3-D video.

A few weeks ago I happened to be at the Grand Canyon and found myself with just my smart phone. Along with snapping some panoramas, I also used the "cha-cha" method to snap a pic, move a few inches, and then take another image. Combine and then align the two images and "voila!", a true stereoscopic image. This method doesn't allow for moving subject matter, but luckily the Canyon wasn't going anywhere soon. ;-) When time permits, I could upload a sample if you're interested.

Whew .. loaded question there, as I've used various set-ups over the years.

Roughly 15 years ago, my go-to stereo still rig was two higher end Sony digital still cameras and a synchronization device to get the shutters to fire in sync. All loaded in a customized rig. Later built 3-D video rigs that I also used on occasion to take stills.

I've also shot stills with a 3D Bloggie (less than 1" I/A --- great for close-ups, poor for medium and wide shots) and also have a JVC 3-D videocamera (roughly 1 1/2" I/A) that also can shoot 3-D stills along with 3-D video.

A few weeks ago I happened to be at the Grand Canyon and found myself with just my smart phone. Along with snapping some panoramas, I also used the "cha-cha" method to snap a pic, move a few inches, and then take another image. Combine and then align the two images and "voila!", a true stereoscopic image. This method doesn't allow for moving subject matter, but luckily the Canyon wasn't going anywhere soon. ;-) When time permits, I could upload a sample if you're interested.

Whew, AGAIN. You're a 3D junkie! Impressive array of digital 3D devices and custom built 3D rigs..........Have you ever made a 3D movie [scripted or otherwise] as that would be my dream. I even mentioned on this thread that I'd love to see Orson Welles' Citizen Kane receive the 3D up conversion based on Gregg Toland's masterful B&W cinematography.

Do you own an LG OLED TV? I have been wanting to purchase a 3D projection TV but have been turned off by the so so brightness and still have my Meridian/JVC DILA 2D Projector but have been so enamored with the LG OLED TV that lately I find myself MORE addicted to the smaller 55" screen which magically and majestically expands with 3D BD~Vs.

BTW, I would very much like for you to upload a sample :banana::banana::banana: D

Interesting thread Wunlow, though way off quad and 5.1....I've made "old school" stereoviews for decades, usually in B&W....and collected them intermittedly, so I can appreciate your Grand Canyon technique. If you ever wander into daguerreotype photography also let me know, I might have some tips! :) John

Interesting thread Wunlow, though way off quad and 5.1....
Please note that this is posted in the General Hardware Discussion section. The description is 'Audio hardware topics not necessarily related to MultiChannel'. However it is directly related to quad and 5.1 because almost every 3D movie I own is in 5.1 or 7.1 surround. 3D video goes real well with 3D audio.;)

Please note that this is posted in the General Hardware Discussion section. The description is 'Audio hardware topics not necessarily related to MultiChannel'. However it is directly related to quad and 5.1 because almost every 3D movie I own is in 5.1 or 7.1 surround. 3D video goes real well with 3D audio.;)

I second that, seilerbird and also realize that most DVD~V 5.1 DTS/DD and DVD~A music discs also contain video clips as well and what better way than to view them than on a state of the art video monitor. Additionally, there are more than 2 or 3 dozen 3D BD~Vs of rock, classical and jazz artists as well with 5.1/7.1/9.1 soundtracks.

Back