3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just went through a rigamarole where my 14-month old 55-inch LG OLED (55EG9100 - the 1080p model) died out of nowhere. LG honored the warranty even though it was 2 months out technically (good of them), but they won't do it again I'm sure, and I'm not sure what happens to my 3d Blu-Rays a year or two hence when the sets are no longer being made.

I just went through a rigamarole where my 14-month old 55-inch LG OLED (55EG9100 - the 1080p model) died out of nowhere. LG honored the warranty even though it was 2 months out technically (good of them), but they won't do it again I'm sure, and I'm not sure what happens to my 3d Blu-Rays a year or two hence when the sets are no longer being made.

Buy a used one on Amazon or eBay.

Actually if the hours are low enough you could save a lot of money going used VG maybe, Like New definitely. Not sure of other brands but with LG you can get the hours used in the settings menu. My son sold his with 15,000 hours and the guy buying it was a geek squad member ( he wanted the only 3D plasma he could find, mainly for gaming and needed fast hz's ). Anyhow not here to sell my used one just to say Hey my new one finally showed up at my local ABC...... P.M. Me if your interested in the pricing (VG)..... Interesting no mention of 3D anywhere on the outside of package so they were actually planning this for awhile.

Not a chance. Used TVs are almost never a good buy.

So, maybe I just have a sour taste in my mouth after buying an open-box Samsuing 55" TV from J&R's liquidation (albeit at an amazing price) that proved to be a lemon and died after less than two years, and then my experience buying new and having the panel die just over a year in, but for a expensive TV I have little interest in rolling the dice.

Admittedly, neither one ended terribly - I resold the Samsung for just $200 less than I paid for it while making the condition clear (I sold it as salvage condition), and LG honored the warranty on my TV and there ended up being no cost. But it's still jarring and I'd rather just buy new.

I would tend to agree with ubertrout that USED TVs without the implied warranty is not a prudent investment. My Panasonic Plasma died after about 5 years of use which I replaced with a LG 55" OLED 3D TV but the conundrum posed by ubertrout is significant. With 3D 'out of the picture' on future models, what if it does go KAPUT? I had a Runco CRT projector for years [and years] and before I had to replace the tubes I replaced it with a Meridian/JVC DILA projector which requires a new bulb (at a cost of 4 or 5 hundred dollars) every 2000 hours. Sadly, it doesn't do 3D and truth be told, I was VERY satisfied with the picture on my 102" Stewart film screen until I 'beheld' the extraordinary picture and uncanny 3D images of OLED.

My understanding was that OLEDs last approximately 31K hours and on my present model I did take out a pricey 5 year service contract (repair OR replace) but replace it with WHAT (now that I think about it).

I did mention that I was VERY interested in LG's 77" OLED 3D TV but at its present price point of $20K (whereas the LG 65" OLED 3D TV goes for under $4K) now I'm a bit hesitant because if that $20K puppy suddenly ceased working, there would be NO 3D replacement.

We ALL are well aware that NOTHING lasts forever but these ARE pricey 'investments' and with LG being the sole manufacturer of OLED at present, what's a guy to do? At present, I have OVER 70 3D movies and rapidly counting and since this is really the first time I am absolutely THRILLED with its brilliant images (the Plasma was too dark for adequate 3D and most current projectors probably can't hold a candle to the OLED image), it does make one pause as for the future of OLED (as it REALLY is a NEW technology).

We've been reading on other QQ threads about disc failure (the disc suddenly stopped playing on multiple machines) with NO replacements in sight but jeez, TVs are NOT cheap items. The only advice I CAN offer is to ensure your TV is plugged into some type of surge protection device because fluctuations and sudden surges in AC current will surely aid and abet in an early demise.

I know this sounds insane, but, this thread has given me the notion that I should spring for the best deal on an OLED I can make, take it out for a couple days, and once I've tested all its' functions and run a little 3D through it...I WOULD PUT THE THING BACK INTO ITS' BOX, AND LET IT SIT IN THE BASEMENT FOR 5+ YEARS!

I'm betting that the current crop of 3D temptations will have dropped in price significantly with nobody selling hardware for them. I'll try and surf the deep-discount wave, scoop up some Marvel movies of special-effects-battling-special-effects (Dr. Strange, I'm lookin' at YOU...), and then while the Manchurian President drags us all down to Ragnarok, me and my bananas will be breaking-open the glasses in-between moonwalking across the 5.1 soundstage...

-oh yes, and I've got my backyard bomb shelter scheduled to unveil my Atmos system around 2027 (right after my hearing collapses)! "We've got to have bananas on the New Frontiieeeerrrrr...."
:banana: :banana: :banana:
:51banana:

I know this sounds insane, but, this thread has given me the notion that I should spring for the best deal on an OLED I can make, take it out for a couple days, and once I've tested all its' functions and run a little 3D through it...I WOULD PUT THE THING BACK INTO ITS' BOX, AND LET IT SIT IN THE BASEMENT FOR 5+ YEARS!

I'm betting that the current crop of 3D temptations will have dropped in price significantly with nobody selling hardware for them. I'll try and surf the deep-discount wave, scoop up some Marvel movies of special-effects-battling-special-effects (Dr. Strange, I'm lookin' at YOU...), and then while the Manchurian President drags us all down to Ragnarok, me and my bananas will be breaking-open the glasses in-between moonwalking across the 5.1 soundstage...

-oh yes, and I've got my backyard bomb shelter scheduled to unveil my Atmos system around 2027 (right after my hearing collapses)! "We've got to have bananas on the New Frontiieeeerrrrr...."

Yeah, Dillydipper and once they've hacked our grids, better have a hefty generator on hand to power all your 'toys.' But all in all, not a bad idea except the deprivation of not enjoying those current 3D movies in the here and now and the wonders of CURRENT OLED technology. But I will state that the OLEDS use WAY less power than my older Panasonic Plasma which used to literally heat up my room in the winter.

And if you do decide to store your OLED in the basement better have a dehumidifier running in those humid summer months as OLEDS (and all electronics for that matter) detest humidity. And by then 8K will be the new norm and your ancient 4K OLED TV will be obsolete. And my crystal:teleport: ball tells me that we will see a re~emergence of 3D with 8K with NO need for those pesky 3D glasses.

BTW, are you contemplating a designer* bomb shelter or that rather ho hum kind?:yikes

Yours in the NEW Frontier, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBruAooXPNU

Ralph

*http://www.patrol-log.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Vivosdome2.jpg

Snood likey your Banana Theory :smokin :banana: :banana:

I am almost 70, I bet my 3d tv lasts longer than me. If it dies before me I will worry about it then.

I'd thought you'd be sticking around for the 16K launch, seilerbird. NOT so fast!

And don't laugh.....it's already on the drawing board.

I am not laughing, however what you kids don't understand is that everything stops working as you get older. I doubt I will be able to see by the time 16k comes out.

Eh...

I'm 54 and already things aren't working as well. Eye sight is crap...hearing...losing it.

I just sent seilerbird a private message that I had a new lens put in my right eye some years ago and am experiencing THE best vision I've ever had in my life. As for your hearing.....avoid LOUD mega decibel LIVE concerts while you still have your hearing. And avoid high back recliners and stuffing pillows behind your head while listening as that will surely MUFFLE the sound.

And I was born 1/12/47:yikes

You're as OLD as you FEEL!

After fifty plus years of very loud rock and roll my hearing is shot, but it was worth it. Nothing lasts forever.

After fifty plus years of very loud rock and roll my hearing is shot, but it was worth it. Nothing lasts forever.

I saw TEARS for FEARS recently at our local Capitol Theater and sat right in front of the left front speaker. It was SO LOUD that I vowed never to attend another raucous rock concert again. They were brilliant, I must add, but at the loss of my equilibrium. Saw Jeff Beck there a month earlier and it was equally fantastic. Just don't get seats in front of those mega loud speakers......my advice.

THE loudest rock concert I ever attended was a PRINCE concert a few years back. SO loud that U could literally hear speakers popping [blowing, that is]. But again, it WAS worth it!

BTW, just added three more 3D BD~Vs to my growing collection: Ang Lee's New Film: 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' (4K/3D combo]; From AIX Records: 'James Walker & Free Flight: Threads' and Disney's 'The Little Mermaid.'

Highly Recommended: from AIX Records in 3D: Rita Coolidge's 'Play Something Sweet.' Impeccable Sound and great 3D Video of Rita in a concert setting. The musicianship is simply wonderful and although Rita doesn't possess the vocal chops from her former 70's recordings, as the concert progresses her voice is as soulful as ever!

BTW, 3D isn't DEAD.....it's just on LIFE SUPPORT!

Last edited:
Interesting thread Wunlow, though way off quad and 5.1....I've made "old school" stereoviews for decades, usually in B&W....and collected them intermittedly, so I can appreciate your Grand Canyon technique. If you ever wander into daguerreotype photography also let me know, I might have some tips! :) John

True .. this is waaaay off of quad and 5.1, but we can quickly tie the two together with at least one quadraphonic release:

grand-funk-2.jpg

And just like quad, eventually there will be those trying to hunt down the proper gear and figure out what all was released in the 3-D bluray format. :)

Daguerreotype? Wow!! That is dedication to a *very* unique and amazing form of photography. I didn't even realize some still used the process. Very cool.

Whew, AGAIN. You're a 3D junkie! Impressive array of digital 3D devices and custom built 3D rigs..........Have you ever made a 3D movie [scripted or otherwise] as that would be my dream. I even mentioned on this thread that I'd love to see Orson Welles' Citizen Kane receive the 3D up conversion based on Gregg Toland's masterful B&W cinematography.

Do you own an LG OLED TV? I have been wanting to purchase a 3D projection TV but have been turned off by the so so brightness and still have my Meridian/JVC DILA 2D Projector but have been so enamored with the LG OLED TV that lately I find myself MORE addicted to the smaller 55" screen which magically and majestically expands with 3D BD~Vs.

BTW, I would very much like for you to upload a sample :banana::banana::banana: D

I've shot a few short 3-D pieces and sections here and there, mostly for the 3-D Film Archive, but not a 3-D full blown feature. I recently picked up an OLED and am stunned by the display's ability to reproduce total black, even with mixed subject matter. ..Am still a little concerned about the lifespan of OLED tech, but cannot deny the picture quality is amazing.

Here's a link to one of the Grand Canyon pics: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bwddh9xzDf1DSXUyVGljbTMwcEk?usp=sharing

Image #1 is conformed as a side by side squeezed image @1920x1080. Play this image full screen. (literally full screen) and switch your 3DTV in the SBS mode for proper playback.
Image #2 is the left and right right images w/o squeeze and at full resolution. Very much limited in quality by my smartphone (shot with LG Note 5: pre-combustible model)
Image #3 is anaglyph .. red lens over left eye. Certainly not ideal 3-D viewing, but if someone doesn't have a 3DTV and still wants to take a peek..

I saw this original post for the first time like 2 weeks ago......the next day i felt the need/rush to buy an OLED 3D Set......so i went for an LG E6P 55"......these tvs are manufactured in Mexico and fortunately it was asequible....however they are expensive (like 1800 USD).....but let me tell you something......i just finished watching Doctor Strange.......and my wife said: nice movie.....nice effects.....nice tv and nice 3d.......eventhough she hates Marvel movies.....and also hates 3D.......this is the best investment i have done in several years.......my 3d collection grew exponentially in 2 weeks.....from zero to 60 titles......now i need more time to watch 3D..........thanks for having you to make me "waste" the money......

Back