Ayreon-"The Source" in surround

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great surround mix, active, suits the music well:

source_zps4nux3xig.jpg

And the music is great too :smokin

I had a problem ripping track 8 with DVD AE, but had no problem making a mkv and make flacs with audiomuxer, could not see anything wrong with the dvd.

Does that mean the actual sound quality is good?

Thanks for sharing! :)
Yes, after listening session today I'm fully agree with Spock! This is a solid album, a true rock opera! The sound quality is quite good for Dolby, excellent surrond sound, some powerfull LFE channel during several songs.(y) The music reminds me many groups style like Avantasia, Dream Theater, The Gentle Storm (Lucassen project with Anneke van Giersbergen) wich is a good thing for me.:) I am completely satisfied with the purchase.:banana:

Great surround mix, active, suits the music well:

source_zps4nux3xig.jpg

And the music is great too :smokin

I had a problem ripping track 8 with DVD AE, but had no problem making a mkv and make flacs with audiomuxer, could not see anything wrong with the dvd.

Thanks for this comment!!! Wouldn't have thought of that myself :yikes. I also had problems ripping track 8 and tried all the usual options (DVDAE and Audiomuxer).

Most important, how's the DD 5.1 on this?
It is a stunning mix and the mastering sounds OK to me (for this type of music). There's also 30+ minutes of music videos and a "making of" section on the DVD. (have not listened to the CD's). I'm happy.

Well bummer: Ayreon - The Source - Deluxe edition (4cd/1dvd preorder)

Hi

We are sorry to say that there is a delay on shipping your Ayreon order as we have not been sent all of the copies we were promised.

We will have more copies in the week beginning 8th May (if not sooner) and will ship you order as soon as they arrive.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Pete Morgan

Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait! :mad:@:

I must have been high up on the order list, just read an e-mail to say mine is on its way :banana:

One of the many things I like about Burning Shed is that they keep you informed (plus they're a really nice bunch of people), and Burning Shed don't peddle you BS (SpinCDs take note!) so yours will be on its way once they get some more.

Well bummer: Ayreon - The Source - Deluxe edition (4cd/1dvd preorder)

Hi

We are sorry to say that there is a delay on shipping your Ayreon order as we have not been sent all of the copies we were promised.

We will have more copies in the week beginning 8th May (if not sooner) and will ship you order as soon as they arrive.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.

Regards

Pete Morgan

Hurry up and wait...hurry up and wait! :mad:@:

Just snagged the 2cd/1dvd version from Bullmoose, used for about $10. DD only is :poop:, but whatever. It's ten bucks. Threw Heavy Horses in too, so I got free shipping. (y)

I was really sad about this one. I got to check it out when it came out, and I thought the music was good, and the mix too, but the sound quality was horrific. I don't think DD is the culprit though, because check out e.g. Bill Withers' "Just as I am" or the Janet Jackson video collection, they sound amazing in Dolby Digital.

This here album has no bass whatsoever, it sounds really thin and tinny. Real shame :-(

I was really sad about this one. I got to check it out when it came out, and I thought the music was good, and the mix too, but the sound quality was horrific. I don't think DD is the culprit though, because check out e.g. Bill Withers' "Just as I am" or the Janet Jackson video collection, they sound amazing in Dolby Digital.

This here album has no bass whatsoever, it sounds really thin and tinny. Real shame :-(

I ran across this review of the 5.1 yesterday https://www.hiresedition.com/review/progressive-rock/ayreon-the-source.html , and your comments pretty much mirror his.

For high resolution audio enthusiasts like myself, it can be somewhat difficult to ascertain the aural intent of the mixing engineer. To my ears the overall sonic balance lacks warmth and a deep bottom, generally the mix seems a bit thin. Of course, this could be the fidelity that the engineer, producer, and band wanted to convey, but I feel once again that this is primarily the fault of transcoding using Dolby Digital.

Unfortunate. On the one hand, I snagged it for only $10, so whatever. On the other, I'd gladly pay 20-30 bucks or more for full high-res, with a balanced low end done proper.

That is strange - on my system it sounds fine, the bass is ok.

Edit: I played Bill Withers DD soundtrack and the Ayreon have more and deeper bass.

Last edited:
Gave spin to the album last week on my revealing summer set-up and thought it sounded really good and the mix was fine. I would probably notice if there was lack of bass - than again, I hate booming bass.
No fan of dolby too, would double-dip happily should Ayreon go the TPT/Rob Reed path and offered lossless version as a blu-ray/flac download.

(moved)
I'm not sure where this belongs so sorry for dropping it in a general location.
I just picked up Aryeon The Source, 4 CD + DVD Deluxe Edition in the LP sized case with 44 page booklet from Amazon Warehouse. $10.96 and they had 7 left when I was done ordering.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice - That was a Greeeeeeeeeeeeat deal - but it is all gone now :(

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice - That was a Greeeeeeeeeeeeat deal - but it is all gone now :(

The three disc is still in stock and only $12.99, which is still a killer deal. https://www.amazon.com/Source-Ayreo...=1528250819&sr=1-1&keywords=ayreon+the+source

I've given this one full, attentive listen, and a few scattered, casual listens. It's almost an hour-and-a-half of some rather dense, prog-metal, so it's a lot to take in. Musically, this is my sort of thing; it's epic, operatic, conceptual - and might just take itself a bit too seriously, bordering on some serious cheeeeeeeese... but I'm a sucker for this stuff :geek:

As for the mix, it's quite active and enveloping. Instruments feel like they're in their proper place throughout.

The downer here is the DOLBY. DULLBY. So lame... To my damaged ears, the sound quality is... not bad, just adequate. It will definitely rock at higher volumes, and is also rather dynamic. It doesn't sound "thin" to me, on my system, but acoustic instruments sound maybe a little... dull. Like there's this patina of dust that could be brushed away ala some high-res. Whatever, though. I enjoy, and it will certainly be on rotation.

I'd encourage others of this forum to support this release, especially at this price. Arjen Lucassen is a rather prolific musician; this is done well, and maybe with enough support - and if we reach out, we can get some future releases in a high res format, or maybe even his prior surround mixes in a FLAC format.

Last edited:
Snooood found the linky - Thank You Marplot
(moved)
I'm not sure where this belongs so sorry for dropping it in a general location.
I just picked up Aryeon The Source, 4 CD + DVD Deluxe Edition in the LP sized case with 44 page booklet from Amazon Warehouse. $10.96 and they had 7 left when I was done ordering.

Nope It still in stock Thank You Marplot mine was 13.48 delivered with Prime Like New but still 5 very good and 1 Like New - all might have cover cosmetic damage but for that price hey \o/

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Delux...&qid=1528249851&sr=8-1&keywords=ayreon+source

Snooood found the linky - Thank You Marplot

Nope It still in stock Thank You Marplot mine was 13.48 delivered with Prime Like New but still 5 very good and 1 Like New - all might have cover cosmetic damage but for that price hey \o/

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Delux...&qid=1528249851&sr=8-1&keywords=ayreon+source

Thanks for the link. I've had the 3 disc set sitting in my Amazon cart for a while now. I splurged and paid the extra .21 for the limited edition 4 disc set.

Back