SACD to FLAC conversion using Foobar

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyQuad

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I convert SACD ISO files to FLAC by first converting the ISO to DSF files using ISO2DSD and then converting the resulting DSF files to FLAC using Foobar 2000. When I do this, Foobar offers me a choice of bit depth and I typically select 24 bit. The result is a 24 bit 88.2kHz FLAC file. However, the Foobar default is "Auto". The other day I processed a conversion and in addition to the 24 bit conversion I usually make, I also created a version using the default "Auto" selection so I could see what bit depth it provides. It produces 16 bit 88.2kHz files using the Auto setting.

Can one of you techies tell me what's going on there? Am I wasting my time making 24 bit conversions to FLAC?

When loaded into Audacity, Hi Res FLAC files show up as 32 bit float. What does that mean?

Also many programs routinely show the bitrate in kb/sec and a sample rate when working with music files. Tagscanner does this. When I make 24 bit conversions the sample rate is constant at 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz, but the bitrate varies track by track. If all the tracks are 24 bit 96kHz , why don't they all show up with the same bitrate?

If all the tracks are 24 bit 96kHz , why don't they all show up with the same bitrate?

Probably because the results of FLAC compression depend on the material being compressed. Some material can be losslessly represented with fewer bits than other stuff.

I routinely use compression level 8 (even cheap storage isn't infinite!) and notice the same thing. A CD quality file usually winds up about 60% of the original size while DTS (which has almost no internal waste at all) converted to FLAC will barely shrink at all or even wind up slightly larger.

Probably because the results of FLAC compression depend on the material being compressed. Some material can be losslessly represented with fewer bits than other stuff.

I routinely use compression level 8 (even cheap storage isn't infinite!) and notice the same thing. A CD quality file usually winds up about 60% of the original size while DTS (which has almost no internal waste at all) converted to FLAC will barely shrink at all or even wind up slightly larger.

So then if I look at uncompressed files like 16/44.1 WAVs they should all indicate the same bitrate? I'll have to see if that's right.

UPDATE: Yep. That's the answer it seems. Looking at the properties of 16/44.1 stereo WAVs in Tagscanner shows 1411 kbps for all tracks.

16 bits x 44.1 kb/sec x 2 channels = 1411.2 kbps

Back