Why Hasn't Dutton Vocalion Explored Selling Their Surround SACDs on Other Web Sites?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Here's a question I have:
I wonder why Dutton Vocalion have not explored the option of selling their SACDs on other sites like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, and Music Direct?
Surely DV's SACD catalogue would fit right in with the types of titles and formats sold on those websites.
Plus, it might make it easier for DV to get their SACDs out to customers going through some other stores located around the world, rather than trying to send all orders from the UK to their destinations, especially with all of the issues surrounding Royal Mail right now...

Here's a question I have:
I wonder why Dutton Vocalion have not explored the option of selling their SACDs on other sites like Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, and Music Direct?

The price of the discs would go up for a start as the distributers would want a cut. Who knows if there's all sorts of other arrangements like sale or return, licensing deals, America possibly not the centre of their sales universe, etc?

That is an option for Dutton Vocalion.
They could sell their Surround SACDs on other web sites besides the current listings they have on Amazon.

Given their focus on Easy Listening titles, I'm not sure how much interest their Surround SACDs would bring from Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and Music Direct.
But it's possible.

It's also likely that, as noted earlier, the price on the Vocalion Surround SACDs would go up since these sites would need to make a profit from stocking them.
On the other hand, once In Stock, listeners could get them in a day or two vs. a month from Dutton Vocalion direct.

Would listeners pay the extra cost for faster delivery?

Most titles seem to be available at the German site jpc.de
The prices are reasonable as well, especially compared to what they charge for the Audio Fidelity discs.

The price of the discs would go up for a start as the distributors would want a cut. Who knows if there's all sorts of other arrangements like sale or return, licensing deals, America possibly not the centre of their sales universe, etc?

It's licensing more than anything else. Their license does not permit them to go hog wild with US distributors. Kinda like AF does not distribute their product in Germany or the UK. Other 3rd party sellers import a few copies here and there is all.

You can order them on Amazon Canada for $17.99CDN each

The seller is "crazygreen8" but it says in in the listings: 'Dispatched direct from Vocalion in the UK (worldwide via airmail) within 1-2 working days.'

My orders have come directly from DV.

At $3.95 per disc shipping is probably higher than buying from the DV site
But that's all in CDN dollars so might be an attractive option for Americans

**Edit , after reading the previous post about licensing I attempted to place a dummy order shipping to my US address.

Won't accept the order

Kinda like AF does not distribute their product in Germany or the UK.

That's not accurate.

Audio Fidelity has had distribution by the same companies for the last 15 years in the UK (F Minor) and Germany (Sieveking Sound).
Both of the Audio Fidelity distributors (UK and Germany) handle a variety of audiophile labels in those markets.

That's not accurate.

Audio Fidelity has had distribution by the same companies for the last 15 years in the UK (F Minor) and Germany (Sieveking Sound).
Both of the Audio Fidelity distributors (UK and Germany) handle a variety of audiophile labels in those markets.

I had no idea. I've been importing titles in.

I had no idea. I've been importing titles in.

Me too. But most titles were cheaper incl. shipping and customs from the US than buying through the German distributor. Don't know about the UK situation.

To think the discs are all manufactured in nearby Austria, shipped to the US and then back here… probably more money going to freight companies than the artists.

Back