Klaus Schulze Irrlicht and Cyborg Quadraphonic

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumGuitar

Over the years I have acquired both a PDU (Italy) copy of Klaus Schulze's debut Irrlicht with quadraphonic noted on both the cover and label, as well as a copy of his followup Cyborg on Clementine Disques (France) with quadraphonic noted on the label. I've attempted to decode them both through the SQ decoder on my QRX-9001 and have come to the very dissatisfying conclusion that neither of these records are recorded in the matrix quadraphonic format, and sound much better through the quad synthesizer. It did not come as much of a surprise, since even Bayreuth Return many years later was recorded two track on the fly (not that schulze did not take full advantage of the overdubbing process on these two albums, which he certainly did). Both of these albums were recorded even before Studio Dierks had their quadraphonic equipment setup. But, seeing as there hasn't been much documentation on these specific copies I figured I might as well form my own personal opinion on whether these were actually quadraphonic.

Quad? No way!

When will Steven Wilson make his way through Klaus Schulze's discography and give us some proper surround mixes?

Yeah, I have the PDU and Metronome discs of Irrlicht and find them a little lackluster in quad.
Also had Ash Ra Tempel (first disc) and found that one lacking as well.

Chances are they are stereo put through an SQ Encoder to give a quad type effect, poor though that may be.

All encoders touted this practice to accommodate stereo synth-quad, but it was mostly recommended for FM broadcast.

I would be surprised if it was anything other than a mislabel. The Quad Synthesizer was a significant improvement over what I heard the SQ decoder trying, and in my opinion failing, to do. I guess the only way to be sure would be to see if the Ohr/Metronome copy decoded slightly differently than the PDU. Though it'd probably just be a waste of time better spent enjoying something else.

Back