Warner Music Japan Releases 11 Doobie Bros. Albums on SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundboy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Coming April 2017. Below is from CDJapan.co.jp....

Japanese original release. Hybrid SACD reissue release from The Doobie Brothers features 2016 remastering. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums "The Doobie Brothers," "Toulouse Street," "The Captain And Me," "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits," "Stampede," "Takin' It To The Streets," "Livin' On The Fault Line," "Minute By Minute," "One Step Closer," "Farewell Tour (Live)," and "The Very Best Of."

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/products?t...5,WPCR-17686,WPCR-17687,WPCR-17688,WPCR-17689

This is the kind of news I hate, but I must be getting wiser. My first reaction is, ooh, I must buy, but now, after a couple minutes I think, how much better can they be and at what price. I have Flac downloads, MoFi's, DVD-A, RBCD. If I have to spend more money and strain to hear something different, it's not worth it. I am already thinking I will pass and just wait for surround Doobies whenever that may happen.
One thing the advertisement doesn't say, will they be released in cardboard mini LP's which the Japanese do the best.
I like others would love to see the advertising say, "multichannel release in cardboard mini LP's" then I would swoop them all up.

Will be interesting to see how these compare to the Mobile Fidelity Stereo SACDs of the Doobie Brothers albums.
The Mobile Fidelity Doobie SACDs are excellent sonically.

Any chance these Japan Warner releases are in quad?

I didn't see an explicit mention of "stereo" in the descriptions.

I'm "hoping but not expecting".....

Since some of these albums were never released in Surround Sound, I'd predict they will be Stereo SACDs.

I guess this is nice for people who want physical media, but the 2016 masterings (available via HDTracks, etc.) that the SACDs are apparently based on are unnecessarily compressed. For me the only one that's listenable is One Step Closer, the rest of them have anywhere between 3 and 5dB of compression applied. If you like your Doobie Bros. albums with thumping bass drums and 'everything louder than everything else' (to quote Ian Gillan) you might like these, but I'd suggest you buy one of the digital downloads first to see if you like them before you drop a wad on a bunch of JSACDs that are most likely just transcodes of these compressed PCM masters.

I guess this is nice for people who want physical media, but the 2016 masterings (available via HDTracks, etc.) that the SACDs are apparently based on are unnecessarily compressed. For me the only one that's listenable is One Step Closer, the rest of them have anywhere between 3 and 5dB of compression applied. If you like your Doobie Bros. albums with thumping bass drums and 'everything louder than everything else' (to quote Ian Gillan) you might like these, but I'd suggest you buy one of the digital downloads first to see if you like them before you drop a wad on a bunch of JSACDs that are most likely just transcodes of these compressed PCM masters.

Yes. That's why I wondered if these would be as good as the earlier Mobile Fidelity Stereo SACDs of the Doobie Brothers.
If these are just a transfer of the widely criticized 2016 remasters that earlier appeared as 24/192 downloads, no thanks.

Yes. That's why I wondered if these would be as good as the earlier Mobile Fidelity Stereo SACDs of the Doobie Brothers.
If these are just a transfer of the widely criticized 2016 remasters that earlier appeared as 24/192 downloads, no thanks.

I think it's a pretty safe assumption given that the second sentence of the product description is "Hybrid SACD reissue release from The Doobie Brothers features 2016 remastering.".

I think it's a pretty safe assumption given that the second sentence of the product description is "Hybrid SACD reissue release from The Doobie Brothers features 2016 remastering.".

That's exactly why I wouldn't buy these before hearing the reviews of earlier buyers.
Especially since I have the earlier Doobie Brothers Mobile Fidelity SACDs that are excellent sonically.

Minute by Minute and Livin' on the Fault Line arrived today from CD Japan
Very Best of the Doobies arrived, but it is not 2 SACD's, just RBCD's, which do sound good

You sure? I thought you would have gotten these from CDJapan.

*Japanese original release. Hybrid SACD reissue release from The Doobie Brothers features 2016 remastering. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums "The Doobie Brothers," "Toulouse Street," "The Captain And Me," "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits," "Stampede," "Takin' It To The Streets," "Livin' On The Fault Line," "Minute By Minute," "One Step Closer," "Farewell Tour (Live)," and

Edit: Sorry, yes this is CD only: "The Very Best Of."

I opted not to buy "The Doobie Brothers," "Stampede," "One Step Closer," and "Farewell Tour (Live)" on SACD. Although these have their moments, they're my least favorite Doobies. I already own the rest on MoFi SACD's. I do have CD's of the four I didn't get on SACD. Bought CD-4 LP's of Toulouse, Captain, Vices & Stampede.

Caught the Doobies live a couple times, too.

You sure? I thought you would have gotten these from CDJapan.

*Japanese original release. Hybrid SACD reissue release from The Doobie Brothers features 2016 remastering. Comes with lyrics and a description. This series features the following albums "The Doobie Brothers," "Toulouse Street," "The Captain And Me," "What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits," "Stampede," "Takin' It To The Streets," "Livin' On The Fault Line," "Minute By Minute," "One Step Closer," "Farewell Tour (Live)," and

Edit: Sorry, yes this is CD only: "The Very Best Of."

Minute by Minute and Livin' on the Fault Line arrived today from CD Japan
Very Best of the Doobies arrived, but it is not 2 SACD's, just RBCD's, which do sound good.

How do they sound? I'm mainly interested in Livin on the Fault Line, since MoFi didn't do that one.

I'd be happy to have just the Best of the Doobies in quad/5.1 Blu-Ray. The one with the restaurant style jukebox music selector on the cover.
Don't know if there's another best release, not a fan..... sorry 😕🙄

That compilation was never released in any surround sound format.
I think we were all hoping that there was an unreleased Quadraphonic mix of "Takin' It To The Streets" in the vaults, but that myth was busted last year by Steve (aka ForagingRhino)

as disappointing as it was to have it confirmed the Doobies' Quads stop with "Stampede", its a happy accident the "Takin' It To The Streets" album gives such an excellent surround effect thru things like PLII Music and the Involve mode of the Surround Master. its really impressive and immersive - and if we didn't now know better/otherwise, i'd cry "stealth QS encoded Quad!" - its that good! :eek:

".. when things get stale,
you get on a boat and sail
to.. Quadio..." :phones

Minute by Minute and (especially) Living on the Fault Line work out well that way, too.

Back