Rhino to Release Doobie Brothers QUADIO Edition! (ARCHIVE THREAD)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting together a 'new' Best Of The Doobies quad if one never existed before would seem an odd choice to make unless it was just done as a cheap way to charge more for the set.

At least with Chicago IX, the title already existed in quad and there are some different edits on a couple of tracks. Then again...there is a shorter version of "Listen To The Music" on "Best Of"......

I completely understand your point of view, which is basically a purist's argument, but I would only be in favor of doing such a thing if a "Takin It To The Streets" Quad mix does indeed exist because then the original 'best of' track list and artwork could be used for this new Quadraphonic edition (while also including the stereo GH in high-res too.)
And even though this would be an unprecedented move where Quad was concerned, Audio Fidelity did have to do the inverse of this for the 'Best of the Doors' SACD by creating a stereo master for a compilation that was never released in stereo.
But hey, if such a set comes to pass that has just the 4 released Quad mixes, that is completely fine with me.
Anything else is lagniappe. ;)

I completely understand your point of view, which is basically a purist's argument, but I would only be in favor of doing such a thing if a "Takin It To The Streets" Quad mix does indeed exist because then the original 'best of' track list and artwork could be used for this new Quadraphonic edition (while also including the stereo GH in high-res too.)
And even though this would be an unprecedented move where Quad was concerned, Audio Fidelity did have to do the inverse of this for the 'Best of the Doors' SACD by creating a stereo master for a compilation that was never released in stereo.
But hey, if such a set comes to pass that has just the 4 released Quad mixes, that is completely fine with me.
Anything else is lagniappe. ;)

Not a Purist's argument, just questioning why they'd go to the trouble to create a new quad album of one that never existed before made up of nothing but tracks on the other albums in the set. But anything's possible!

At this point---that's all speculation beyond speculation since there isn't any evidence whatsoever that a quad mix for Takin' It To The Streets was ever created, is there?

But wouldn't that be great if it turned out there was one lying around somewhere!

I know. I'm not seeing too many offered by my usual sellers.

WORD out there, is that the 2016 Doobie remasters are compressed. If I recall, when Warners released the YES Stereo SACDs they were met with disastrous results. I pre~ordered the BEST of Doobies SACDs [33 cuts on 2 SACDs] as an alternative [and the price is certainly right] but I wish Warner Japan had released the four existing QUAD/5.1 Doobie remixes, as well.

Last edited:
I could be completely wrong about this, but wasn't Minute By Minute rumored to have been mixed into 5.1? If it exists in the vaults, then why not add it to our fantasy box? I know it's technically not quad, but its inclusion would certainly help make the set more appealing as it was their only #1 album and their biggest selling (other than the 1976 Best of.) Again, I could be imagining a rumored 5.1, feel free to give me an emoji slap if such a thing has never been mentioned before! :yikes

Minute By Minute was in one of those WMG upcoming DVD-A release lists circa about 2002, along with lots of stuff that did eventually get released including the Talking Heads and Tom Petty 5.1 mixes so it is possible that it exists, but by the same token lots of the albums on that list never saw the light of day.

As for an unreleased quad mix of Takin' It To The Streets, as much as I'd like that to be the case it seems unlikely. WB stopped releasing quad albums in mid-1975, so I can't see them doing a quad mix for Takin' It To The Streets in the spring of 1976 with no prospect of it being released. Obviously I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong, though.

I could be completely wrong about this, but wasn't Minute By Minute rumored to have been mixed into 5.1? If it exists in the vaults, then why not add it to our fantasy box? I know it's technically not quad, but its inclusion would certainly help make the set more appealing as it was their only #1 album and their biggest selling (other than the 1976 Best of.) Again, I could be imagining a rumored 5.1, feel free to give me an emoji slap if such a thing has never been mentioned before! :yikes

My own personal view is that any Quadio release should follow the mold set by the Chicago box set, which would mean only including Quadraphonic (& stereo) mixes in the set, otherwise it loses its simplicity and charm as a release celebrating Quad.
Now on the other hand, I would also love a companion box set with 5.1 mixes covering the Michael McDonald era, especially if there isn't a Quadraphonic mix for "Takin It To The Streets". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My own personal view is that any Quadio release should follow the mold set by the Chicago box set, which would mean only including Quadraphonic (& stereo) mixes in the set, otherwise it loses its simplicity and charm as a release celebrating Quad.
Now on the other hand, I would also love a companion box set with 5.1 mixes covering the Michael McDonald era, especially if there isn't a Quadraphonic mix for "Takin It To The Streets". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably too much to ask for these days, but the four McDonald era albums remixed to 5.1???? :cool:

Probably too much to ask for these days, but the four McDonald era albums remixed to 5.1???? :cool:

Yeah I think we are getting way ahead of ourselves on that…
The easy target to aim for is the release of the 4 Quadraphonic mixes, so I hope that's an easier release that Rhino can achieve! :)

This is the kind of news I hate, but I must be getting wiser. My first reaction is, ooh, I must buy, but now, after a couple minutes I think, how much better can they be and at what price. I have Flac downloads, MoFi's, DVD-A, RBCD. If I have to spend more money and strain to hear something different, it's not worth it. I am already thinking I will pass and just wait for surround Doobies whenever that may happen.
One thing the advertisement doesn't say, will they be released in cardboard mini LP's which the Japanese do the best.
I like others would love to see the advertising say, "multichannel release in cardboard mini LP's" then I would swoop them all up.

Same here ............(y)

Minute By Minute was in one of those WMG upcoming DVD-A release lists circa about 2002, along with lots of stuff that did eventually get released including the Talking Heads and Tom Petty 5.1 mixes so it is possible that it exists, but by the same token lots of the albums on that list never saw the light of day.

As for an unreleased quad mix of Takin' It To The Streets, as much as I'd like that to be the case it seems unlikely. WB stopped releasing quad albums in mid-1975, so I can't see them doing a quad mix for Takin' It To The Streets in the spring of 1976 with no prospect of it being released. Obviously I'd be overjoyed to be proven wrong, though.

Hmmmm... I have a quad version of it in DTS I got from someone who does conversions. I'll have to listen carefully to make sure it's not a fake quad but even if, it sounds really good!

I did check for any unissued Doobies quad mixes lurking and no more were found.

Let me just thank you for all that Rhino has been doing for us surround lovers...I'm still basking in the glow of the Chicago Quadio Set and the Doors blu ray....just brilliant...can you give us some hints on any upcoming surround titles that Rhino will release this year:)

Let me just thank you for all that Rhino has been doing for us surround lovers...I'm still basking in the glow of the Chicago Quadio Set and the Doors blu ray....just brilliant...can you give us some hints on any upcoming surround titles that Rhino will release this year:)

And not to forget the Talking Heads „Brick“-Set! :)

What a downer after your reporting that they were working on a box set for release this year !!!
:>( :>( :>( :>(

I think you’re missing the point.
He said they looked for unreleased Doobies Quad mixes and did not find any.
So what?
We already know that 4 Doobies Quad mixes exist (cause they have already been released) so they must be working on releasing those Quad mixes if they searched to see if any others existed.
Even if they just release the (previously released) 4 Quad mixes on Blu-Ray this year, that would still be a big win for us Quad lovers!
I would be first in line to buy such a release!

:)

Warner Japan released a slew of Doobie Brothers STEREO SACD remasters last year, and unfortunately, none were QUAD or 5.1 http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/searches?term.media_format=&q=Doobie+Brothers+SACD.

Most are now OOP and it would be a great opportunity to reissue the QUAD/5.1 remixes domestically and perhaps sprinkle in some stereo reissues with them in a proper box set on BD~A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back