RIP Jaki Liebezeit - Drummer with Can

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanS

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I was just reading the newspaper and came across the obituary for Jaki Liebezeit the drummer with the German band Can, who died on the 22nd January. Can are a band I think I have every album of. Great drummer, great band. Sadly I only saw them once in 1975 in Hatfield. RIP.

I was just reading the newspaper and came across the obituary for Jaki Liebezeit the drummer with the German band Can, who died on the 22nd January. Can are a band I think I have every album of. Great drummer, great band. Sadly I only saw them once in 1975 in Hatfield. RIP.

I agree, CAN [especially on SACD] is a simply amazing band. Although I wasn't knowledgeable about the individual bandmates, the highly inventive and eclectic music and legacy left behind by drummer Jaki Liebezeit speaks volumes.

R.I.P.

http://hraudio.net/search.php?format=1&keywords=CAN [13 Stereo SACD titles]

I'll be damned. Like Ralphie, I didn't know the individuals, but certainly familiar with some of their music. I have one of their albums, have to dig it out as I can't remember which one I have.

I'll be damned. Like Ralphie, I didn't know the individuals, but certainly familiar with some of their music. I have one of their albums, have to dig it out as I can't remember which one I have.

The thirteen CAN Stereo SACDs I have are real treasures and BTW, decode VERY well when applying DSP [pseudo surround]. As far as finding the SACDs....a REAL treasure hunt as they've been OOP for some time and when ordering, make sure they're genuine SACDs and not RBCDs.

They're not bad, but the way Can recorded by jamming together, recording mainly to stereo and then editing meant incredibly limited options for surround. The album "Flow Motion" was recorded using the artificial head surround. Works reasonably. As mentioned below, pseudo-surround works quite well for a lot of the albums. My one time of seeing them live back in '75 as an amazed 17year old was captured on tape, and appears on their live double CD. The Can tapes box set is a must for complete-ists, but I would say not really for the 'sort-of' interested in Can listener.

The Can website:

http://www.spoonrecords.com/index.php

There are a couple of DVDs in 5.1. I don't have those yet.

I've neglected the RIP threads (this one and the John Wetton one)....the last year or so....since Lemmy and Bowie and all that followed.....I've got serious RIP fatigue.

While I can mess around on several instruments, fumble my way into something in tune, drums is the one spot where I grew up taking some lessons. When I discovered Can I was really struck by their sound...and Jaki's drumming drew me in even more as I then looked at his other stuff - those Michael Rother albums he played on (Flammende Herzen and Sterntaler) are just super. He played with such precision but still had "feel" and it was a huge part of Can's "Krautfunk" (as I like to call it) sound.

Back