Naxos Opens ArkivJazz.com, Shutters ClassicsOnline, Disc Sales Trends

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Naxos changes gears - closing Classics Online and opening ArkivJazz

"We are primarily a content owner," Heymann said. "We're lucky we launched Naxos Music Library when we did in 2002, because we were the only streaming site."

Of course, there is also ArkivMusic, whose relatively faithful clientele currently accounts for 25% of total classical CD/DVD/Blu-ray sales in the United States.

"CD sales are not holding," Heymann said. "In 2015, we had seven new releases that sold more than 10,000. In 2016, not a single release sold more than 5,000. There's still a stable market that buys 2,000 – 4,000 of everything. I am confident there will be CDs for another 5 or maybe 10 years. But the times of substantial sales are gone.

"I also think that downloading will shrink or shrivel. Our iTunes figures went down 30% from the year before. Streaming is making good money for people with vast catalogs who can build playlists, but it's not doing anything for album sales. People aren't listening to albums as much as single tracks.

"The business model where streaming services have to pay 70% of revenues to rights holders is basically not viable. I know, because I am both a rights holder and platform operator. In this environment, I think only platforms operated by entities with revenue streams other than subscription income will survive. I'm thinking of iTunes/Apple music, Amazon Music Unlimited, and hopefully Spotify (advertising revenue). I don't think any of the other streaming sites will survive, because they can't make a living solely from streaming.

"Naxos Music Library will survive because we own a substantial part of the recordings on the platform. And we will also continue to make money by licensing recordings for Hollywood TV series, movies and commercials; collecting royalties for public performance and on the radio, and our other services."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/...m-shutters-classicsonline#41mxd4QIYjYxwOAS.99

Yes, it's been common knowledge for some time that classical listeners are gravitating towards singles because the composers try and stuff too much filler into their releases, particularly with the extra space on the CD. I mean, what was Beethoven thinking, putting four movements into his symphonies, when the fans are only interested the 2nd and 4th. And Mozart? I can quote you measure after measure towards the end of his pieces, that were just cribbed note-for-note from the beginning.

And don't get me started on Mahler...!

Back