HiRez Poll Katatonia - THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE (2017 MIX) [DVD-AUDIO]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-Audio Disc of Katatonia - THE GREAT COLD DISTANCE (2017 MIX)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2017 surround mix of the 2006 album "The Great Cold Distance" by Progressive Metal band Katatonia.
The DVDA-V disc contained in this 4-disc 10th Anniversary Edition contains TWO 5.1 surround mixes, both mixed by Bruce Soord (of the Pineapple Thief.) The first mix is a 5.1 surround mix of the studio album, while the second mix is a live surround mix of the album recorded at a 2016 concert in Plovdiv.

The set can be purchased here: https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/product/261/8087/

PLEASE NOTE: This particular poll thread is only to be used for voting on this 2017 DVDA-V disc. For votes and reviews of the 2007 DVDA-V disc, please see this thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?9882-Katatonia-Great-Cold-Distance-(DVD-A)

(n) :) (y)

large6428.jpg

I took the plunge and ordered the 10th Anni set from Burning Shed. They were the only store, besides Amazon.de, I could find that still has it.
The 5.1 DVD is pretty packed. The album, 2 bonus tracks, plus a live show with orchestra. If the mix is improved from 2007 I'll be pretty happy.
Hopefully I can sell the 2007 set to offset the cost a little...
I'll report back...

Arrived today. I'm happy to see a replacement DVD. A friend of mine reported a possible issue with the 5.1 bonus concert (a rear channel missing).
Maybe this disc fixes that.
I can tell you, from a preliminary listen to the new studio mix in FLAC, that it is way more pleasing to me than the 2007 mix.
kat-tgcd-10th.jpg

Holy Hell! Listening to TGCD live from Bulgaria, with the Philharmonic Orchestra. It's awesome!
Think of Metallica's S&M. It's a bit like that.

BTW, the 2017 remixed 5.1 studio album is offered in Advanced Resolution 5.1 and the concert is offered in 96/24 DTS 5.1.

This 10th anniversary box is a (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Arrived today. I'm happy to see a replacement DVD. A friend of mine reported a possible issue with the 5.1 bonus concert (a rear channel missing).
Maybe this disc fixes that.
I can tell you, from a preliminary listen to the new studio mix in FLAC, that it is way more pleasing to me than the 2007 mix.

Hi there,

I was not aware that there's a defective DVD out there so I ordered it from Amazon. How do I know if I got the defective or the corrected version? The matrix code on my DVD is DG59738-01 L1.

Cheers,
Andreas

Hi there,

I was not aware that there's a defective DVD out there so I ordered it from Amazon. How do I know if I got the defective or the corrected version? The matrix code on my DVD is DG59738-01 L1.

Cheers,
Andreas

Mine came with the corrected DVD attached to the front of the shrink-wrapped set.

Hi there,

Cheers,
Andreas

DH68997-01 is the code on my replacement disc.

Though I can not speak definitively, as I have not opened my 10th Anniversary set to A/B, the difference between the flawed disc and the replacement disc should be:
the flawed disc will be missing a rear channel during the Philharmonic concert. The replacement disc should have all channels for both the studio album and the concert.
Some day I might have time to corroborate or perhaps somebody else will.

Reply from Burning Shed:

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your email. Yes the replacement DVD fixes the missing rear channel. As for friends we can only send replacement discs to those who specifically ordered it from us. Anyone who bought it from elsewhere would need to contact Peaceville directly.

Kind regards,

Matt

Thanks for the advice. A quick check of one of the files shows clearly that one rear channel is missing = a flat line.

I will try to contact the label and ask for a replacement DVD.

Cheers,
Andreas
Hi. May be I'm little late to the game, but I just saw that a few copies still available from Amazon. So before pulling the trigger I'm curious did you get the replacement DVD from the label?

Hi. May be I'm little late to the game, but I just saw that a few copies still available from Amazon. So before pulling the trigger I'm curious did you get the replacement DVD from the label?
Yes, curious to know. I got one from Burning Shed. Sold the defective disc, clearing calling out the defect, which helped with the price of the set!

OOP pricing for the 4-disc deluxe set has been particularly outrageous lately (there was one sitting on Discogs for $200 not long ago), so hopefully the IAA digital reissue will give people who missed it the chance to hear both the studio and live 5.1's. I'd give the studio LP a "7" and the live a "9", so I'll vote a compromise "8" in this poll.

The 5.1 remix of the studio album can be a bit jarring if you're used to the old stereo version - I'd go so far as to say it's an improvement in many ways, certainly in terms of dynamic range and overall clarity. Whereas the original stereo mix highlights the layered rhythm guitars, the 5.1 de-emphasizes the big 'wall' of guitars and lets all the hidden details peek though. It's cool being able to hear some previously-buried percussion parts pop up from behind, some of the rhythm guitar parts - usually the ones assigned to the rear speakers - just aren't prominent enough. The second guitar that comes in around 20 seconds into "Leaders" is one of the signature parts of that song, yet it seems kind of buried in this mix. The recessed guitars also leave the lead vocal and drum kit sounding kind of overexposed in places - the "Deliberation" chorus in particular sounds off to me here, with the lead vocal and ride cymbal(?) in the front channels completely overpowering the backing vocals and rhythm guitar in the rears. The tonal balance and use of the surround field are both spot-on, but the instrumental balances feel like they could've used some extra tweaking. Overall, I think he did a much better job with The Fall Of Hearts.

The live 5.1 mix is fantastic! It's just as 'discrete' as the studio album - lots of rhythm guitar, backing vocals, and orchestra in the rear speakers. The sound quality is really good for a live album, but the louder passages do get a bit harsh at times.

Back