Suggestions for Dutton Epoch Classical Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone heard the quad mix on this? Aside from a Japanese issue it's never been properly in print on CD, stereo or quad. Also on the program is Respighi's Pines of Rome, a short Chinese traditional piece, and Sousa's Stars and Stripes.

View attachment 31065

Wow, talk about an uber eclectic program of music, ubertrout! Sounds interesting.

BTW, the Pure Prairie League D~V two~fer is great. Excellent discrete use of surrounds. Veers toward country rock.

Steelydave's post on the Chicago thread had a comment about a quad release of Michael Tilson Thomas's release of Carmina Burana with the Cleveland Orchestra. This seems like an obvious candidate for D-V to re-release on SACD. It's a popular piece, and the CD of this recording is pretty seriously out of print, unless I missed a re-release: https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Tilson-Cleveland-Orchestra-Kenneth/dp/B00077F92U

There's a good review of the CD here: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-12621/

Edit, yet again - MTT's recording of Beethoven's late choral music was also released on quad, could also be interesting: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-M...pera-Chorus-Late-Choral-Music/release/6714373 - it was issued on CD in 1990 and never reissued/remastered.

It sounds silly to ask such a basic question, but does anyone know if there are any complete opera recordings that Dutton Vocalion could release in quad? I've been looking around and I don't see many complete operas, just a lot of excerpts / highlights LPs, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I assume there must be at least a handful, given that Pentatone was able to release a few from Philips. Or, was it just too challenging to record many complete operas in quad?

It sounds silly to ask such a basic question, but does anyone know if there are any complete opera recordings that Dutton Vocalion could release in quad? I've been looking around and I don't see many complete operas, just a lot of excerpts / highlights LPs, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. I assume there must be at least a handful, given that Pentatone was able to release a few from Philips. Or, was it just too challenging to record many complete operas in quad?

My understanding is that Columbia recorded/released very little opera, in quad or otherwise, and even allowed Bernstein to record Carmen for Deutsche Grammophon so he could scratch that itch (which we of course got in glorious quad from Pentatone). RCA recorded a bit more, but the European labels were much more focused on opera than American labels.

My understanding is that Columbia recorded/released very little opera, in quad or otherwise, and even allowed Bernstein to record Carmen for Deutsche Grammophon so he could scratch that itch (which we of course got in glorious quad from Pentatone). RCA recorded a bit more, but the European labels were much more focused on opera than American labels.

Does this mean that he was known as Itchy Lenny? ;)

Your knowledge on these matters is always appreciated. :)

Steelydave's post on the Chicago thread had a comment about a quad release of Michael Tilson Thomas's release of Carmina Burana with the Cleveland Orchestra. This seems like an obvious candidate for D-V to re-release on SACD. It's a popular piece, and the CD of this recording is pretty seriously out of print, unless I missed a re-release: https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Tilson-Cleveland-Orchestra-Kenneth/dp/B00077F92U

There's a good review of the CD here: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-12621/

Edit, yet again - MTT's recording of Beethoven's late choral music was also released on quad, could also be interesting: https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-M...pera-Chorus-Late-Choral-Music/release/6714373 - it was issued on CD in 1990 and never reissued/remastered.

Here's a fun fact...there have only been two proper surround issues of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana - Runnicles on Telarc and Hickox in a live account for Chandos: https://www.hraudio.net/recordings.php?work=1900

Seems like there's room for another on the market. Sony also has the rights (presumably) to Kurt Eichorn's comparatively little-known quad version for Eurodisc, FWIW.

This is some seriously obscure stuff. The Elgar disc is short orchestral pieces that are rarely performed. I've heard of C.V. Stanford, although I don't know his music well, and in any case this seems to be two concertos he wrote when still quite young (his echt-Rachmaninoff 2nd Piano Concerto from decades later has been recorded a few times and is on Spotify). I had to Google Ina Boyle but a fair bit of her music is on Youtube. The 2-SACD combo appears to be a work from Gilbert not in collaboration with Sullivan, in a premiere recording.

These are definitely niche even in the classical world, but by all means pick them up if interested.

That's good to hear. I really like classical, so I'm actually in favor of more Dutton Epoch SACDs, but I'd prefer if Dutton focused on the analogue quad recordings, as opposed to giving us new digital ones. Lots of labels put modern multichannel classical recordings out, so it isn't nearly as exciting, especially when the music itself isn't very well-known.

That's good to hear. I really like classical, so I'm actually in favor of more Dutton Epoch SACDs, but I'd prefer if Dutton focused on the analogue quad recordings, as opposed to giving us new digital ones. Lots of labels put modern multichannel classical recordings out, so it isn't nearly as exciting, especially when the music itself isn't very well-known.
Dutton's classical recording focus has been British composers and their historic division has generally been British artists, so it's cool to be getting these new recordings as multichannel SACD, but I'll admit the cross section of those interested in obscure british composers and those interested in multichannel audio may not have much overlap.

I'm not much of a classical lover, but I would be ecstatic if D-V would issue the Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto For Orchestra. This recording was conceived for surround, but of course when Sony issued it on an old single-layer MC SACD they used an upmix rather than the actual quad mix.

R-3789458-1364830390-3218.jpeg.jpg
download.jpeg

This recording was conceived for surround, but of course when Sony issued it on an old single-layer MC SACD they used an upmix rather than the actual quad mix.

That's so utterly pointless that it's hard to imagine anyone other than Sony doing it...while it's depressingly easy to imagine Sony going out of their way to do it Just Because.

There are many folks here who have grown up with classic rock, folk, and mostly mainstream radio music, which we all know and love, and pretty much have burned out on. As we made it through our lives, watching cartoons as kids and movies as we grew older, we were exposed to a LOT of classical music. Those old WB cartoons were filled with that stuff ("Kill the Wabbit", etc.)

So I was thinking most of us recognize a lot of classical tunes when we hear them, but we have no clue as to what they are, who wrote them, or where they're from. With that being said, I think it would be very cool, if possible, for Dutton-Vocalion to release the 6 Columbia Classical Quadraphonic "Greatest Hits" albums, maybe as a 3 Disc set, or 3-6 individual discs.

I honestly don't remember if these were super surround or what, as I haven't played them in years and they were of course SQ, so there was some compromise there. Still, it would be a great way to get some generic Classical quad out there that most people will know and recognize.

Anyway, it's just a thought. As some of you know, they are:

MQ-32054 - Bach/Greatest Hits
MQ-32055 - Tchaikovsky/Greatest Hits
MQ-32056 - Beethoven/Greatest Hits
MQ-32057 - Mozart/Greatest Hits
MQ-32058 - Chopin/Greatest Hits
MQ-32059 - Strauss/Greatest Hits

Classical Greatest Hits.jpg

1 Pierre Boulez Conducts Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
1 Chet Atkins - Superpickers & Chet Atkins Picks the Best [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
1 Charles Gerhardt/Kiri Te Kanawa - Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann & bonus track [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
1 The Guess Who - Road Food & #10 [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
1 Poco - Cantamos & Seven [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]
1 Chase - Pure Music & Chase [SACD Hybrid Multi-channel]

Just ordered me some stuff!!! Keep 'em coming DV!
As someone who wants more classical reissues from DV, I'm glad so many people are picking this up.

As someone who wants more classical reissues from DV, I'm glad so many people are picking this up.
I wish there was some resource on classical multichannel releases and rankings, like the polls here. Some kind of guide. Been searching the forums and there's not enough information. Starting a whole new music library for classical recordings without knowing where I'm going with this seems like a sisyphean task, and most of the 5.1 recordings I did get are not discrete at all. Between the best performances and best recordings, how does one begin to rank multichannel releases?

Waiting for three releases from DV right now - the two Daniel Barenboim & Artur Rubinstein, and Leonard Bernstein Haydn's Mass in Time of War. Hope they're good...

Back