RIP - Al Jarreau

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?????

Very sad news. To think I would have had a chance to see him when he toured NZ with George Benson several years back. And speaking of Benson, I've had several opportunities to see him too but keeping my fingers crossed that I will in good time.

While I've been largely unfamiliar with Jarreau's body of work, I'll always remember the Moonlighting theme quite fondly - and what a phenomenal voice too. RIP

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

I've been sitting on my Monster Music disc of Givin' It UP by George Benson and Al Jarreau. Never listened to it yet - ripping as we speak and will give it a spin.

I've been sitting on my Monster Music disc of Givin' It UP by George Benson and Al Jarreau. Never listened to it yet - ripping as we speak and will give it a spin.

Another brilliant talent has left us and like yourself, Gene, I will indeed be spinning this wonderful remembrance of yet another peaceful soul who has left our world and is now free to touch the shores of many worlds........

Just listening to "All I Got" now. Some folks on Amazon complained that it is too "smooth jazz" like. I do not find it excessively so, and the mix is quite good. I would recommend this disc if you are a fan. You can always preview the music first if you are concerned about the style.

At age 76 he had a good long career. He made a joyful sound. Thanks Al! Be free.

I'm sure this is kind of random, but, whenever I think of Jarreau, the first thing that comes to my mind is that, "BerlinBerlin-Berrlinnnn" show open from that 2-LP live album from the '70s. It was apparent with one listen, he was gonna be a smooth and accessible jazz voice that would make music that could reach people who were normally confused and challenged by jazz. He certainly embraced his niche without considering "lite" a dirty word.

I particularly enjoyed the "David-Foster/Jay-Gradon period" of his Warners work, which tee'd him up for getting the "Moonlighting" TV theme gig, opening his work up to millions - just in time for his short run of Adult Contemporary hits. More importantly, it changed his profile to the level that, he was no longer "the guy that did these songs", but rather, "the guy who does songs like these": a seemingly minor rhetorical distinction, but one which doesn't simply define his long career by his more well-known songs.

And considering how much time he spent on the road, I certainly hope it was more out of love than neccessity.

The heavenly choir just got a fresh injection of groove.

Since I wasn't posting on the forum when Al passed I'd like to acknowledge his talent...so unique in style...lot's of energy and one of those performers that looked like he was having fun when he was on stage...I liked this one

[video=youtube;otVH5cv9z1A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otVH5cv9z1A&list=PLh10YcUO7kPtl3xfC8eRywclhSNjzMtkW&index=3[/video]

Back