Willy Porter - Self-Titled Surround Sound SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this for a while, and although it's great acoustic folk/rock and has incredible sonics, it's not an adventurous surround mix. It sure is a nice disc to have.

I've had this for a while, and although it's great acoustic folk/rock and has incredible sonics, it's not an adventurous surround mix. It sure is a nice disc to have.

Agreed, it's not "out there". But I certainly find it discrete and effective. There's definitely enough going on around me to scratch my surround itch well and good. :)

I remember writing about the Willy Porter Surround SACD on Six Degrees for High Fidelity Review when it was released in 2007.
The album was produced by Herb Waltl who was also involved in several Surround SACDs including Genius Loves Company - Ray Charles and Ultimate Mancini for Concord Jazz.

Waltl says that: “The Stereo and Surround mixes on this Hybrid SA-CD are completely new mixes derived from the original multi-track masters. To achieve the highest audio quality, the recordings have been mixed at Media Hyperium Studios on an API Vision console which has been specially designed for surround mixing and features a fully discrete signal path including discrete multi-channel panning. A DCS 954 analog to digital converter has been used to create the DSD files. To keep the integrity of the pure DSD quality, the mastering has been done completely in the DSD domain.”

Here's a link to the archived copy of the HFR article
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/s...es-with-willy-porter-surround-sound-sacd.html

Back